iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Jul 6, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #7,186 of 14,593
Between yesterday and today I have been doing a battery test to compare its consumption in medium and high gain.

The 2 tests have been done under the same conditions:
- It starts with 100% analog and digital battery
- Android mode
- airplane mode activated
- UAPP is used with bit-perfect activated, playing a playlist of more than 10 hours in order (all FLAC files)
- duration of each test: 7 hours
- 2.5mm burnin cable connected
- playback starts and the DAP is not touched again or its screen is activated until the end of the test, 7 hours later

1st test, medium gain, volume 50: at 7 hours, 55% analog battery remains, and 55% digital battery, so 45% of each of them have been consumed.

2nd test, high gain, volume 50: at 7 hours, there is 50% of the analog battery, and 55% of the digital battery, so 50% of the analog and 45% of the digital have been consumed.

As in normal conditions of use, the digital battery is completely consumed and there is still between 15 and 20% of the analog battery, for me, these results indicate:
- in general, the battery life is very good
- the digital battery is greatly affected by the activation of the screen or the change of apps and music
- The capacities of the batteries are not well adjusted, the only way to consume them the same is not to activate the screen or change music or apps, something very unrealistic. The digital battery should have been increased with respect to the analog, to achieve a more equitable distribution
- In 7 hours there is only an additional consumption of 5% of analog battery when activating the high gain compared to the medium gain. Therefore, I leave the high gain activated from now on, it is not worth being conservative in this regard.

For the record, these are conclusions that I have drawn with these tests, which do not have to be universal truths.

Thank you very much, great conclusions

Jul 6, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #7,187 of 14,593
If it cost $100 more per unit to ensure that the battery life of the 2 batteries were more evenly consumed, I don't think the majority of owners would be willing to pay that extra cost. I can see your point if the digital battery lasted only 2 hours. Then, there would be a problem that actually needs to be solved. But we are talking about a product whose battery with the greatest consumption lasts twice as long as its nearest competitor. I could easily make the argument that perhaps they should just remove the analog battery indicator, then people would be in awe of the battery life of the product. This obviously won't work because what happens when the analog battery fails but you get the point.

Agreed, plus just logically speaking with 2 separate batteries for 2 separate use cases, along with the myriad variables in how you combine the use of both (i.e. more LO vs PO, Bal vs SE, streaming vs local, Android vs Mango, etc), I don't know how I wouldn't expect them to drain at different rates.

Jul 6, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #7,188 of 14,593
If it cost $100 more per unit to ensure that the battery life of the 2 batteries were more evenly consumed, I don't think the majority of owners would be willing to pay that extra cost. I can see your point if the digital battery lasted only 2 hours. Then, there would be a problem that actually needs to be solved. But we are talking about a product whose battery with the greatest consumption lasts twice as long as its nearest competitor. I could easily make the argument that perhaps they should just remove the analog battery indicator, then people would be in awe of the battery life of the product. This obviously won't work because what happens when the analog battery fails but you get the point.
I'm not talking about paying more to get both batteries to last the same.
I'm saying that for the official price of the product, I think it is something that should have been achieved.
It is simply my opinion.

Agreed, plus just logically speaking with 2 separate batteries for 2 separate use cases, along with the myriad variables in how you combine the use of both (i.e. more LO vs PO, Bal vs SE, streaming vs local, Android vs Mango, etc), I don't know how I wouldn't expect them to drain at different rates.
What you say makes sense if the digital battery didn't always run out first.
The only way to drain the analog battery sooner is to set the gain high, volume high, and not touch the device for hours. I don't think it's the actual use of the device for 99% of people.

But like I say, it's just my opinion, and I don't mean to say that the DX300 is a bad device because of this. I'm still very happy with it, and I hope it lives with me for a long time.

Jul 6, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #7,189 of 14,593
I'm saying that for the official price of the product, I think it is something that should have been achieved.
It is simply my opinion.

The only way to drain the analog battery sooner is to set the gain high, volume high, and not touch the device for hours. I don't think it's the actual use of the device for 99% of people.

But like I say, it's just my opinion, and I don't mean to say that the DX300 is a bad device because of this. I'm still very happy with it, and I hope it lives with me for a long time.

I think I see what you mean, that it might make sense for the digital battery to drain before the analog one so that you can see the analog battery needs recharging while you can still turn the device on, perhaps?

That could be handy.

My one immediate thought would be considering how much more space would be needed to include a larger digital battery, or conversely how using a smaller analog battery and larger digital one might affect the Amps' performances.

Not a negative or a positive, just give and take in each scenario :)

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #7,190 of 14,593
It is simply my opinion.

The problem is that there IS no way to achieve this using two separate batteries. The android system is open source, which means iBasso has no control over the majority of what happens. This means that the test you did, while great, will possibly be highly inaccurate on my system (or someone else's) doing the exact same test. I don't think they could just throw a larger battery in the analogue side, as this would force them to cut corners on something else to make it all fit.

To achieve what you are asking would only be doable in a vacuum, and let's face it the first thing we all do when we boot this beast up is uninstall, install new, play with settings, etc... I don't totally disagree with the principle argument that you are suggesting, but I just don't think that it could happen at this point. IMO this device is way ahead of its time as it is, so call it a new frontier in DAPs. There are bound to be some teeth cutting issues, and I for one, am glad it still allows us to have such long battery life where the competitors do not, AND are not as fast or powerful on top of all of that.

Just my opinion!

Jul 6, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #7,191 of 14,593
That may not happen even if you pay $1000 extra. For that a solution might be, iBasso would start selling battery modules and everyone has a custom battery (or multiple) depending on their usage. Expecting the two batteries to have the same depletion rate is very unreasonable. Parameters are:

- Used components on the amp cards and their ratings
- Ratings of you IEM / headphone
- The volume you listen
- The software you use, whether you use any DSP, equaliser
- Whether you use any wireless, bluetooth
- How often you turn your screen on
- and others...

How are they going to match all these for every user and match a rate? Impossible. So what are they going to do, for example, for the amp cards? Compromise the sound by using lower grade compoent for making a similar depletion rate? Even with that how are they going to achieve it? I use only full size planar headphones, someone else uses easiest to drive IEMs.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #7,192 of 14,593
And also, as a full sized HP user: This device delivers 1200 mW of power and obviously not an IEM only device. Why not see the extra remaining analog battery a headroom for the full size headphone users?

Jul 6, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #7,193 of 14,593
Funny how people starting to criticize the batteries while not thinking about how there are 2 batteries and also last 16 hours easily even in Android. Then talk about the cost. You wouldn’t even see anything cost as close to even have different batteries and supplies like the Dx300 at all. Then there is modular amp

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #7,194 of 14,593
Funny how people starting to criticize the batteries while not thinking about how there are 2 batteries and also last 16 hours easily even in Android. Then talk about the cost. You wouldn’t even see anything cost as close to even have different batteries and supplies like the Dx300 at all. Then there is modular amp
I stopped worrying about the batteries when I was able to sit down for three extended listening sessions without touching a charger. People get wrapped around the axle on details and minutia when they should just be enjoying their music.
Problems and malfunctions, I understand...but dueling discharge rates..!?!
Cheers and Enjoy the Music! :beerchug:
-HK sends

P.S. - After much wailing and gnashing of teeth, I have decided to give the 300MAX a pass. Besides, I'm not missing anything with the DX 312 and Meze Empyreans!
Maybe the 400MAX...

Jul 6, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #7,195 of 14,593
The problem is that there IS no way to achieve this using two separate batteries. The android system is open source, which means iBasso has no control over the majority of what happens. This means that the test you did, while great, will possibly be highly inaccurate on my system (or someone else's) doing the exact same test. I don't think they could just throw a larger battery in the analogue side, as this would force them to cut corners on something else to make it all fit.

To achieve what you are asking would only be doable in a vacuum, and let's face it the first thing we all do when we boot this beast up is uninstall, install new, play with settings, etc... I don't totally disagree with the principle argument that you are suggesting, but I just don't think that it could happen at this point. IMO this device is way ahead of its time as it is, so call it a new frontier in DAPs. There are bound to be some teeth cutting issues, and I for one, am glad it still allows us to have such long battery life where the competitors do not, AND are not as fast or powerful on top of all of that.

Just my opinion!
It is as simple as having a larger digital battery and a smaller analog battery.
How much? Do tests, take data, and make a decision.
With the current values, the digital battery always runs out before the analog.

There is not much else. Finding the exact values so that they all last both the same is impossible, but fixing the current truth that is that the digital battery always lasts less than the analog one would have been tremendously simple.

The only way to get to 15 (not 16) hours on Android is not to touch the screen at any time.

It seems that nothing non-positive can be said, I did not expect something like that. It is a design with 2 batteries where, whatever you do, the same (digital) will always be consumed before the other. The solution would have been simple. But it is only allowed to say that everything is perfect.

Jul 6, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #7,196 of 14,593
Problems and malfunctions, I understand...but dueling discharge rates..!?!
Are all the reviews of DAPs or IEMs that you read 100% positive?

I was only commenting on a result that I have obtained with the tests, and that could have been easily improved. It is normal that I have wanted to check the operation of something as new as 2 separate batteries in the same device.

But from the reaction of some it seems that I have said that this DAP is an absolute disaster.

Jul 6, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #7,197 of 14,593
Are all the reviews of DAPs or IEMs that you read 100% positive?

I was only commenting on a result that I have obtained with the tests, and that could have been easily improved. It is normal that I have wanted to check the operation of something as new as 2 separate batteries in the same device.

But from the reaction of some it seems that I have said that this DAP is an absolute disaster.
I don't think so. But you are asking that something that has variables for both the digital and analog battery. I have used DSD and run the digital down first. Right now I am powering hard to drive headphones and the digital is down about 10% from the analog. There would be no way to have them both the same and for me, 10% is totally acceptable for me.

Jul 6, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #7,200 of 14,593
But it is only allowed to say that everything is perfect.
Nothing is perfect, and that is what I am trying to say. We accept what we have and even if it has flaws or bugs, and under this case it is totally acceptable to me.

I don’t understand your use case, so I can not comment much.

I use dx300 for simply stored music, and I do browse around but definitely don’t have the screen on all the time to look at Dancing EQ or album arts. Also there are no circumstances that other Android DAP can last upto 16 hours like Dx300

So do I expect perfection ? Nope, I only accept it for what it is, and to me, to relatively compare to others, the Dx300 is more than enough to be positive about

Users who are viewing this thread

Back