iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Jan 30, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #3,167 of 14,593
Great points. The real 'differences' stand out most when you're comparing one device to anriwhr, so DAP vs DAP or IRM vs IEM. Listen to a warm, full DAP/IEM after listening to a brighter, more detailed DAP/IEM and you'll immediately miss that 'detail' (or consider it veiled), but give it a few tracks and your brain will magically start re-calibrating so that after a while you'll be hearing those details coming back. Switch back to the brighter DAP/IEM and the reverse is true, it's then too bright, harsh or thin. But again, give it some time...

Of course the fundamental character of a DAP or IEM will always remain. Our brains don't tune everything back to neutral. But what we sometimes hear as 'flaws' is merely contrast. When I'm not reviewing I never listen to two different sound signatures in the same session because it just diminishes the enjoyment of both and everything sounds worse than it is.
Yes, fully agree.

Jan 30, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #3,168 of 14,593
Never seen manifacturer recommending burn in, and if they do its probably to make you miss your return window.

Let me help you with that. I present page 4 of the DX300 user guide:
8E9E12F6-B213-457C-8DAC-F36837EAB247.png

Jan 30, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #3,169 of 14,593
Yes, fully agree.
Great points. The real 'differences' stand out most when you're comparing one device to anriwhr, so DAP vs DAP or IRM vs IEM. Listen to a warm, full DAP/IEM after listening to a brighter, more detailed DAP/IEM and you'll immediately miss that 'detail' (or consider it veiled), but give it a few tracks and your brain will magically start re-calibrating so that after a while you'll be hearing those details coming back. Switch back to the brighter DAP/IEM and the reverse is true, it's then too bright, harsh or thin. But again, give it some time...

Of course the fundamental character of a DAP or IEM will always remain. Our brains don't tune everything back to neutral. But what we sometimes hear as 'flaws' is merely contrast. When I'm not reviewing I never listen to two different sound signatures in the same session because it just diminishes the enjoyment of both and everything sounds worse than it is.
Although, wouldn’t that nullify any A/B comparisons?

Jan 30, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #3,170 of 14,593

Attachments

• IMG_5172.jpeg
    IMG_5172.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 30, 2021 at 8:51 PM Post #3,171 of 14,593
Yes, completely agree on brain burn in

I have a brain burn in period if 3 500 hours you know it sounds different now then when I started my journey.
There is burn in and brain burn in factors too.

Dap and each amp 200hours burn in for optimal results... 500hours for real pros who has ToTl gear and good sense capabilities with ears can feel it.
First 50 hours are super crucial, the 100 to 200 hours is very subtle and harder to sense...

Cable burn in is 100 hours. Some cable need 500 hours thats the very big thick gage cables. I also believe if you burn in a cable for 1 000 hours it smoother down the treble. But thats harder to do.

When I had my wm1z modified with Romi caps, it took me 1800 hours of burn in to open the BJ caps cause they been sleeping for 20 years on the shelf!
Yes its a huge paine in the ass, imagine your dap playing music 24/7 for 2 months !

Will you dare take the burn in challenge?
I done tremendous amount of burn in test and I know the effects and the long procedures it takes.

Tiger is a true master in the audiophile world I can make a difference between brain and gear burn in.
It is all skills anyone can train and achieve, you need time and experimenting

Jan 30, 2021 at 8:57 PM Post #3,172 of 14,593
I have been listening to DX Max for about 4 months now.
I remember I was kind of overwhelmed when switching from unbalanced to balanced mode first time in my life.
I again and again depending on the song felt frequencies like upper mids to be too striking, high frequencies being to bright.
and then I think I got somehow used to it.
I have never in my life heard a dac/amp that was so revealing and spatious without compromise.
I felt like I needed some more lush alternative.
That's where the DX300 comes into play now.
When first listening to it I was at first missing the uncompromised clarity of the max in direct comparison.
But I think it's maybe not fair to judge in that way because your judging is based on listening habbits.
I can bet after listening for several hundred hours to dx300 and then go back to Max I will find it far too bright 😉

As far as I am concerned never got used to Max upper mids on certain pairings... even after hundreds of hours... Now about burn in both brain and physical, it's sure real but as said before it won't transform the fundamental character of a DAP IMHO.

Still excellent point you make, when I alternate between DAPs (R6 2020, M8, DX300) I see their respective qualities more clearly and I like them for different reasons.

DX300 to me sounds unlike any other DAPs really a very different brand of sound. I still try to wrap my head around what it does that makes it so immersive, definitely for me the staging, imaging and layering combined with the smoothness is probably how I would characterize DX300 "immersive-ness" for lack of a better word. Max also had a superb soundstage and imaging but DX300 is more natural sounding to me, with a lifelike quality especially with IEMs like the Elysium.

I must say I am quite excited at the prospect of future amp cards as well, although I could live with AMP11 and be content... fun times!

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #3,173 of 14,593
When I had my wm1z modified with Romi caps, it took me 1800 hours of burn in to open the BJ caps cause they been sleeping for 20 years on the shelf!

Well if that isn't the biggest load of rubbish I have ever read on Head.Fi, and brother, that takes some doing.

Tiger is a true master in the audiophile world

And you refer to yourself in the third person. Hell, as if audiophiles needed another reason to mock them.

Jan 30, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #3,176 of 14,593
I am looking for a case to store or transport safely

like this one of the photos, but bigger ..

IMG_20201114_130548.jpgIMG_20201114_130615.jpgIMG_20201114_130936.jpg

I was going to take the DX300 to shops to see if it could fit in that same case.... I guess not then? The pads can't be removed or is the DX300 simply too wide?

Jan 31, 2021 at 12:13 AM Post #3,177 of 14,593
IMG_20210131_130709.jpg

About 100h in and switching from the ZMF VC to the AAW Halcyon. This is sounding heavenly, compared to my Hiby R3 and Chord Mojo combo. Bass is more controlled on the DX300, but mids seem a bit more reserved, compared to the R3/Mojo combo. User experience is far more seamless on the DX300. I hope I never have to carry a stack ever again. Excited to hear the upcoming modules for the DX300. Think we have a winner here...

Jan 31, 2021 at 1:47 AM Post #3,178 of 14,593
I don't think anyone has had the DX300 long enough to do a real review. I have heard changes up to 300 hours and I do find the upper mids change, as an example.
Yeah, I've owned Ibasso daps before, and I can confirm that changes happen after 100 hours or so.

Jan 31, 2021 at 1:48 AM Post #3,179 of 14,593
hope I never have to carry a stack ever again. Excited to hear the upcoming modules for the DX300. Think we have a winner here...

Well I think the DX300 into the Cayin C9 sounds great... and they're pretty well matched in size as a stack. You should demo that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back