iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Sep 12, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #13,651 of 14,593
I agree with this statement. It is not as musical as Shangling tuning, but it isn't as analytical as something like A&K (in your face) tuning. Nor is it as treble heavy or digital sounding as FiiO tuning. It is pretty smooth, but with clarity at the same time (you won't want for details). The Amp12 card (stock) has less quantity of bass, but tightens it up, and the staging is bigger. Amp13 adds the tube sound where everything is just so smooth, but clear and detailed. Amp11.2 is sort of in between the two (comparatively speaking).

I find that poor recordings sound fine from the DX300. A lot of my (28K) collection is stuff from the 80's also. This will also come down to the head gear that you use, but I find them to sound good on most of my head gear.
Awesome, you have me leaning towards this dap for sure. Can I talk you into providing a little more detail regarding the different amps signatures? From your short description, the amp 11.2 might be the better option for me if it sits in between the others. Seems like the best starting point anyways.

Sep 12, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #13,652 of 14,593
Awesome, you have me leaning towards this dap for sure. Can I talk you into providing a little more detail regarding the different amps signatures? From your short description, the amp 11.2 might be the better option for me if it sits in between the others. Seems like the best starting point anyways.
It really is a great starting point. Comparing to the other amp cards, it has more quantity of bass, is a bit more intimate, but is very linear in its tuning. There is nothing that stands out as overdone or underdone if you will.

Treble is extended well, and airy, but is not fatiguing on any of my head gear, though keep in mind that I cannot hear anything past 12K (but I have never heard people saying it's too bright).

Mids are on point, not too forward, but definitely not recessed, and have great resolution, and are not too muddy, warm, thick, or thin. For instance, normally anything by Judas Priest, or Alice in Chains, or old Ozzy can bring out any fatigue that a DAP (or head gear) might have. I have no issues with them on this DAP, unless wearing head gear that is known to be boosted in such areas.

Lows have very good weight but are not overdone IMO (and I am NOT a basshead at all). At the same time, they have some very good texture and slam, and are very fast with transients. Adjusting the filter will help control how much of this you want (slow rolloff, fast rolloff, short delay, NOS, etc...)

Staging is fantastic, though not as big overall as Amp12 and Amp13 cards. But layering and imaging is spot on IMO. Dynamics are top notch (you can see this by looking at the stats), and I am not sure if there is another DAP (other than the DX320) that can quite match this. This is where the pairing of Focals (or any other head gear that has huge dynamics) really shine, as an example.

And being able to listen for 15(ish) hours without recharging is a huge plus for me (I have been known to do that when working overtime at work hehe).

Overall, I have to say that it is SUPER clean, but also smooth and musical enough so as not to be fatiguing or boring like reference can be. Just my $.02. IMHO iBasso has made one of the best out there in the DX300/DX320, and I personally have not heard better (only different).

Sep 12, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #13,653 of 14,593
Do we still anticipate Android 11 coming to the 300? I’m really looking forward to that.

Sep 12, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #13,654 of 14,593
Do we still anticipate Android 11 coming to the 300? I’m really looking forward to that.
I assume so. The last posts confirming android 11 on the DX300 from @Paul - iBasso are here:

Yes, but I don't have a date for it right now.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dx3...1st-page-new-fw-2-03-855.962274/post-16941296
I do not have a date but both are being worked on.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dx3...1st-page-new-fw-2-03-855.962274/post-17074763

Sep 12, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #13,655 of 14,593
This is such an amazing combination, I thought I would share what I am listening to/with:

20220912_155329.jpg

Sep 12, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #13,656 of 14,593
This is such an amazing combination, I thought I would share what I am listening to/with:

That's an unusual IEM, and it's price is certainly good (low!). I take it you like to sample a number of IEMs? Or is this one near end-game?

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #13,657 of 14,593
That's an unusual IEM, and it's price is certainly good (low!). I take it you like to sample a number of IEMs? Or is this one near end-game?
For planar, it IS end game (for me).. :) But yes, I like to try and get those "gems". You know that ones that cost less but punch in at way beyond their price point?!

I tend to be patient, so that I don't have to sell off any of the ones I buy. I tend to keep them all (because they are all unique). :)

How about you?

Sep 12, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #13,658 of 14,593
For planar, it IS end game (for me).. :) But yes, I like to try and get those "gems". You know that ones that cost less but punch in at way beyond their price point?!

I tend to be patient, so that I don't have to sell off any of the ones I buy. I tend to keep them all (because they are all unique). :)

How about you?
I like your approach. Sounds like fun. But, being a fan of custom tips, I'd want a custom tip for each IEM. It's not practical for me ($$$) to build a collection with the added expense of custom tips for each. Will revisit when I want something different than the U12t and Z1R! :wink: I do like reading about the different technologies, tho. And, certainly, anything that punches above its weight.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #13,659 of 14,593
I like your approach. Sounds like fun. But, being a fan of custom tips, I'd want a custom tip for each IEM. It's not practical for me ($$$) to build a collection with the added expense of custom tips for each. Will revisit when I want something different than the U12t and Z1R! :wink:
I see nothing wrong with those at all... :) like me I will be keeping the Hook-X and iBasso IT-07 as my mains. Though I have quite a few others that I work into the rotation also. :)

Really though, the goal is to get something unique in headphones, IEMs, AND earbuds (and to a lesser extent, TWS). I am getting very close to my goals, where I might have to start getting rid of some to get new ones (upgrades).

Sep 12, 2022 at 5:42 PM Post #13,660 of 14,593
I see nothing wrong with those at all... :) like me I will be keeping the Hook-X and iBasso IT-07 as my mains. Though I have quite a few others that I work into the rotation also. :)

Really though, the goal is to get something unique in headphones, IEMs, AND earbuds (and to a lesser extent, TWS). I am getting very close to my goals, where I might have to start getting rid of some to get new ones (upgrades).
Wow. Every type of ear listening device, you say. Well, why the heck not. :darthsmile:
:L3000::ksc75smile:

Sep 12, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #13,661 of 14,593
Wow. Every type of ear listening device, you say. Well, why the heck not. :darthsmile:
:L3000::ksc75smile:
The only ones I don't have any of are electrostatics.. :) I do have an all BA set, planar, hybrids, tribrids, and DDs, etc... I even have (as you saw earlier) some really high ohm gear.

One thing I CAN tell you is they all sound very different from one another (luckily for me). :)

Sep 12, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #13,662 of 14,593
The only ones I don't have any of are electrostatics.. :) I do have an all BA set, planar, hybrids, tribrids, and DDs, etc... I even have (as you saw earlier) some really high ohm gear.

One thing I CAN tell you is they all sound very different from one another (luckily for me). :)
A true and dedicated hobbyist, you are. Good for you to have a passion. My efforts, still, are to continue fine tuning parametric EQ curves on each of my DX300s (one externally amped) so that each is able play either the U12t and Z1R to their best sound. In theory, I may end up keeping only one of these two IEMs. Although, I'm suspecting I'll not make this choice as I learn and appreciate the strengths of each.

Sep 12, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #13,663 of 14,593
A true and dedicated hobbyist, you are. Good for you to have a passion. My efforts, still, are to continue fine tuning parametric EQ curves on each of my DX300s (one externally amped) so that each is able play either the U12t and Z1R to their best sound. In theory, I may end up keeping only one of these two IEMs. Although, I'm suspecting I'll not make this choice as I learn and appreciate the strengths of each.
Also the definition of a "true hobbyist" IMHO... :)

If you find that ONE that just does everything for you, there is no need to have more than one set. My moods change often enough, that I can justify having multiple sets for those different moods, or when my hearing changes for the day (even the hour). There are some days I wake up and the IT-07 sounds like crap, or my Hifiman HE400S just don't get it. I have all of these that are different (rather than much of the same) in order to accommodate my psychotic ears.... LOL

I suppose I COULD take the route of having one (or very few) sets that I have different EQ profiles for. That would probably work also, if you find a set that is SUPER EQ'able... :sunglasses: :thumbsup:

Sep 12, 2022 at 6:45 PM Post #13,664 of 14,593
It really is a great starting point. Comparing to the other amp cards, it has more quantity of bass, is a bit more intimate, but is very linear in its tuning. There is nothing that stands out as overdone or underdone if you will.

Treble is extended well, and airy, but is not fatiguing on any of my head gear, though keep in mind that I cannot hear anything past 12K (but I have never heard people saying it's too bright).

Mids are on point, not too forward, but definitely not recessed, and have great resolution, and are not too muddy, warm, thick, or thin. For instance, normally anything by Judas Priest, or Alice in Chains, or old Ozzy can bring out any fatigue that a DAP (or head gear) might have. I have no issues with them on this DAP, unless wearing head gear that is known to be boosted in such areas.

Lows have very good weight but are not overdone IMO (and I am NOT a basshead at all). At the same time, they have some very good texture and slam, and are very fast with transients. Adjusting the filter will help control how much of this you want (slow rolloff, fast rolloff, short delay, NOS, etc...)

Staging is fantastic, though not as big overall as Amp12 and Amp13 cards. But layering and imaging is spot on IMO. Dynamics are top notch (you can see this by looking at the stats), and I am not sure if there is another DAP (other than the DX320) that can quite match this. This is where the pairing of Focals (or any other head gear that has huge dynamics) really shine, as an example.

And being able to listen for 15(ish) hours without recharging is a huge plus for me (I have been known to do that when working overtime at work hehe).

Overall, I have to say that it is SUPER clean, but also smooth and musical enough so as not to be fatiguing or boring like reference can be. Just my $.02. IMHO iBasso has made one of the best out there in the DX300/DX320, and I personally have not heard better (only different).
This all sounds quite good. Fast transients and great dynamics are exactly what I want. I listen to a lot of Priest, and it can get fatiguing with certain gear. Getting closer to pulling the trigger.

Sep 12, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #13,665 of 14,593
This all sounds quite good. Fast transients and great dynamics are exactly what I want. I listen to a lot of Priest, and it can get fatiguing with certain gear. Getting closer to pulling the trigger.
Oh for sure. Rob Halford's voice is great (in his heyday), but boy can it hurt on the wrong gear... LOL

If you do decide to pull the trigger, do let us know your thoughts after you get some time with it?! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back