iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Sep 23, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #32 of 14,596
What I hope to see:

- I hope they will stay with ESS chips.
- I hope they implement the separated analogue and digital batteries also with DX300 just like with MAX (it does not have to be big, DTR-1 does it in a very small package). And I suspect it might happen due to this post about a month ago on Facebook:
1600883493509.png

- I hope they integrate their application with the rest of the system in a better way. iBasso software is really bad in the current generation of players. System generic settings should be done outside the application and unused stuff should be removed.
-It might be end of an era for custom iBasso firmware. Also I don't think it will be needed, if they manage to implement it properly.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #35 of 14,596
Qualcomm will not provide sources for writing Mango OS
Software wise, there is nothing that Qualcomm should provide for this purpose. It's a matter of hardware design only.

Sep 23, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #36 of 14,596
Looks like my DX228EX could be up for sale soon.....

Sep 23, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #38 of 14,596
Interestingly the teaser emphasize the SoC but doesn't mention the DAC, will 9028Pro retire one day :p ???
I don't see 9038Pro happening, too much power consumption but 9068AS seems to be widespread...

Sep 23, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #39 of 14,596
DX220 discontinued officially from ibasso. Brace yourself for DX300 now.
http://blog.livedoor.jp/orcinus_/archives/52844025.html

That was very 'nice' of iBasso really to push the old hardware to the market with some good amp design and packaging and when the MAX stocks are sold out announce the DX300 and declare the old hardware discontinued.

Interestingly the teaser emphasize the SoC but doesn't mention the DAC, will 9028Pro retire one day :p ???
I don't see 9038Pro happening, too much power consumption but 9068AS seems to be widespread...

I don't think 9028PRO can retire so easily. Just looking at the prices, 9068AS costs £11.11 and ES9028PRO costs £39.23. I frankly think it would be possible to achieve a similar performance from a cheaper DAC but that cheaper might upset some audiophiles. But they might also be upset to have an older DAC than a recent one, independent of the performance. Audiophiles are very confused these days.

But not mentioning the DAC could mean no upgrade - maybe a side-grade or stay the same.

EDIT: If it is not for reducing the power consumption, I don't think an upgrade of the DAC is necessary.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #40 of 14,596
As far as I remember DX220 was based on 9028Pro because the power consumption with 9038Pro was way too high.

Anyway, I am quite hyped about this one. I've been thinking about replacing my DX220 for quite some time but every other option on the market was just... too expensive and not particularly better sound-wise. :D

Sep 23, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #41 of 14,596
As far as I remember DX220 was based on 9028Pro because the power consumption with 9038Pro was way too high.

Anyway, I am quite hyped about this one. I've been thinking about replacing my DX220 for quite some time but every other option on the market was just... too expensive and not particularly better sound-wise. :D
Half truth here. The main reason is that Ibasso still wanted to base on the platform of dx200 for the dx220 as Paul already explicitly mentioned that there wouldn’t be another successor to the 200 series for a few years prior to the release of 220.

The half truth is that es9038Pro really do consume more power :wink:

who said it couldn’t be implemented ? The matter is that how capable the system is... there is no points in using a Ferrari engine on a go cart

Sep 23, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #42 of 14,596
I trust iBasso will make the right choice anyway, does Cirrus Logic build top DACs as well? I love the DX160 :p
Didn't realize ES9068AS was a 2 channel lower spec'ed DAC surprised as it's in AK SE200...

Anyway DAC is one thing but as iBasso has proven, the amp section is so very important...

I had a blind test session at @popof94 comparing the Max with his Hugo 2 (and its FPGA DAC chip) and each time I picked the Max as being better (also recognized it each time) and he agreed with me... he is hunting for a Max btw

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #43 of 14,596
I trust iBasso will make the right choice anyway, does Cirrus Logic build top DACs as well? I love the DX160 :p
Didn't realize ES9068AS was a 2 channel lower spec'ed DAC surprised as it's in AK SE200...

Anyway DAC is one thing but as iBasso has proven, the amp section is so very important...

I had a blind test session at @popof94 comparing the Max with his Hugo 2 (and its FPGA DAC chip) and each time I picked the Max as being better (also recognized it each time) and he agreed with me... he is hunting for a Max btw
Audioheaven still has one or two on stock as far as I know.

Sep 23, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #44 of 14,596

Yes sir! Cirrus is still making flagship DAC :wink:

Sep 23, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #45 of 14,596

I completely agree. I sold my Hugo 2 to get the Max. I really loved my H2 as well, and I hadn’t heard anything near sound as good when I bought it. I was shocked how good the Max sounded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back