iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Feb 23, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #4,321 of 14,596
In my youth I was a big car nut. I tinted probably 1000 car windows.

take a cup of water and mix the smallest little bit of soap into it. Enough to bubble. Use a spray bottle capable of a fine mist.
Mist the screen.
Dampen your fingers to avoid prints on sticky side of screen protector.
Install screen protector.
remove bubbles with credit card and then let it sit to fully evaporate and thus stick overnight.

the soap keeps things slippery so you can really position the screen where you want it and get the bubble out. You don’t need a lot of spray AT ALL. And no, you won’t drown the DAP unless you are foolish with the amount of spray used (and even then most of them are IP rated now anyway)
Thats good one thanks. This is similar on how manifestation film is applied on glass on shopfronts. I honestly never thought to scale that down lol.
As @Whitigir said task is a pain in exhaust.

@Whitigir Did you use the stock film or bought something else? Need to apply on on my dx300 too even if i am not using it as much recently.

Feb 23, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #4,322 of 14,596
Thats good one thanks. This is similar on how manifestation film is applied on glass on shopfronts. I honestly never thought to scale that down lol.
As @Whitigir said task is a pain in exhaust.

@Whitigir Did you use the stock film or bought something else? Need to apply on on my dx300 too even if i am not using it as much recently.
I used stock, just clean it nicely (shine a LED to look for small cotton debris), and get a smartphone screen sucker to help you align it on. The trick is to make sure the surface is “completely dust free”. But then I just had a little dirty corner when I install the TPU case and got bothered by it......I removed the sucker LoL. Also, turn on the screen, because the sides is Barely enough....or you will be bothered again by the missing sides

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #4,323 of 14,596
Is there any volume imbalance on low volumes with IEMs? I was also looking at the Diablo but it suffers from that, so it wasn’t right for me.

I’m still waiting for Ibasso to come back in stock so I can order a DX300 which Paul says may be a little while. As I wait I think about maybe going the Dac/Amp route with my LG G7 phone. The one thing that bugs me about a DAP vs a Dac/Amp is the obsolescence factor. If they are tied to a current OS (android 9 in this case), maybe they have a 3-5 year life span before apps like Tidal might no longer be viable?

Anyone else concerned with lifespan? I decided I’m ok with that l, even if it’s just 3-5 years as I would use the player daily (as I do right now with my phone ... I just use it as a player, there’s no SIM in that phone).

I figure the alternative if I want to extend the lifespan of the investment is a Dac/Amp and just pair and update with inexpensive phones every few years. But then the portability is lost with a stack.

Feb 23, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #4,325 of 14,596
Chaps

I own a DX300 but I'm thinking of selling it and replacing it for either a HiBy R8 or Shanling M8 or Fiio M15

Reason for wanting to replace it is down to the ridiculous volume knob on the side of the DX300. I just cant get use to it.

Out of the players listed do any of you fine chaps have A/B of them against the DX300 and is so which would you recommend and why?

Thanks
I had the M15 before DX300. I really loved the form factor, the build, the look and the feel. However, I really hated the OS/Interface (android 7 IIRC). It was really bad for me. Very slow to respond or unresponsive too many times, lots of app crashing, WiFi was absolute rubbish, and it got really quite hot while in use. I was with it for about 2 days before I started to hate it, kept it a full 2 weeks to give it a chance but ultimately sent it back. I found it unacceptable for a $1300 device.

The DX300 is head and shoulders above the M15 when it comes to user experience. I won't repeat what is said in this thread over and over again, I will just agree with it.

With regard to sound: I am not capable of hearing many of the things people describe here, so i will just say I am very happy with the way my DX300 sounds. I also liked the way the M15 sounded, when it wasn't locked up or crashing in the middle of a song. I hope that helps. :)

Feb 23, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #4,327 of 14,596
Is there any volume imbalance on low volumes with IEMs? I was also looking at the Diablo but it suffers from that, so it wasn’t right for me.

No imbalance on EE Zeus XR (both single ended and balanced).

I’m still waiting for Ibasso to come back in stock so I can order a DX300 which Paul says may be a little while. As I wait I think about maybe going the Dac/Amp route with my LG G7 phone. The one thing that bugs me about a DAP vs a Dac/Amp is the obsolescence factor. If they are tied to a current OS (android 9 in this case), maybe they have a 3-5 year life span before apps like Tidal might no longer be viable?

Anyone else concerned with lifespan? I decided I’m ok with that l, even if it’s just 3-5 years as I would use the player daily (as I do right now with my phone ... I just use it as a player, there’s no SIM in that phone).

I figure the alternative if I want to extend the lifespan of the investment is a Dac/Amp and just pair and update with inexpensive phones every few years. But then the portability is lost with a stack.
You realise that the current daps really easily become a dac/amp. I'm watching Netflix on an iPad 12.9 with audio out of usb c cable -> dx300 -> C9 -> Utopia right now...

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #4,328 of 14,596
Call me crazy :p but I actually prefer DX300 over many other DAPs volume wheels, especially those placed at the top/horizontally. DX300 is a big boy and the design and the placement of the volume wheel, its dual functionality with power and screen on/off, and close proximity to playback control buttons makes it very convenient for one hand operation. And the wheel itself has a very precise tactile click response with just enough resistance. Also, haven't experienced any volume imbalance, regardless of higher or lower sensitivity IEMs I tried it with.

Feb 23, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #4,329 of 14,596
No imbalance on EE Zeus XR (both single ended and balanced).

You realise that the current daps really easily become a dac/amp. I'm watching Netflix on an iPad 12.9 with audio out of usb c cable -> dx300 -> C9 -> Utopia right now...
The Dx300 is actually a DAC/Amp combination. So is the MAX.

The differences is that the 300 is more portable, so the power supply is less beefy than Max. But non the less, it is a 2 in 1 device

A dedicated Amp and DAC
Call me crazy but I actually prefer DX300 over many other DAPs volume wheels, especially those placed at the top/horizontally. DX300 is a big boy and the design and the placement of the volume wheel, its dual functionality with power and screen on/off, and close proximity to playback control buttons makes it very convenient for one hand operation. And the wheel itself has a very precise tactile click response with just enough resistance. Also, haven't experienced any volume imbalance, regardless of higher or lower sensitivity IEMs I tried it with.
I don’t know, I disliked it with leather case....couldn’t stand putting it in the pockets and have the volume adjusted accidentally or button pressed, unless Screen lock to disable them is enabled.

Since having TPU case, I started loving it more and more and more :wink:

@Paul - iBasso should just partner up with the TPU and include it as stock case instead :wink:. Then have additional option to purchase leather cases

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #4,331 of 14,596

I never thought of it like that, but that makes sense. That will extend the lifecycle for sure. I also realize I can put files on and use as a player for awhile.

It’s too bad they don’t make the android version upgradable like phones as well.

I tend to buy higher end products but than use for a long time. My PC is over 10 years old for example but still a descent performer for example (with some minor part swaps to keep it quick).

Anyways - I’m looking forward to them going back in stock. Even if I just use for 3-4 years and sell/upgrade, I’ll get lots of enjoyment out of it. Even my LG G7 on Tidal MQA into a set of U12ts constantly put a grin on my face, so I’m looking forward to the DX300 and adding balanced output on my IEMs and even adding my HD800 into my daily listening that the phone can’t drive.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #4,332 of 14,596
The Dx300 is actually a DAC/Amp combination. So is the MAX.

The differences is that the 300 is more portable, so the power supply is less beefy than Max. But non the less, it is a 2 in 1 device

A dedicated Amp and DAC

I don’t know, I disliked it with leather case....couldn’t stand putting it in the pockets and have the volume adjusted accidentally or button pressed, unless Screen lock to disable them is enabled.

Since having TPU case, I started loving it more and more and more :wink:

@Paul - iBasso should just partner up with the TPU and include it as stock case instead :wink:. Then have additional option to purchase leather cases

They had a similar TPU case as stock with DX160. But I think some people have a perception of "TPU" being a case solution for an entry level DAPs. So, manufacturers go for leather cases to make flagships stand out. My DX3000 case is from the first original batch, one of the few defective ones and I don't even have it on when using DX300, only use it for storage. But I do like the look and the functionality of TPU cases people are sharing in this thread. Probably will order one as well.

Feb 23, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #4,333 of 14,596
I must also have a defective leather case. It looks nice. But i tried it for about 30 minutes and it hasn't been back on since. Bought the TPU and am satisfied. Would be great if the leather case is sorted and offered to early adopters. Even if it isn't, I'm perfectly happy with my DX300.

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #4,334 of 14,596
With a screen protector in place I find the leather case fits ok. But I got the TPU case on Amazon and that sucker fits fine like a glove and non slip. Even the great fitting leather cases for my other daps slip on a surface but not the TPU case. Also the volume wheel works great and love the feel of the indentations. All good. :^)

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #4,335 of 14,596
Can I befriend him ? :wink:

Try getting a cheap TPU case, it solves the volume button issues for me, even the side buttons is very hard to accidentally press now, and you gotta mean to press it. It also look better and have more protections. I like how opened it allows the LED lights to serve as night lamp for me :). Sadly it is only in Android mode. I had to find a good playback app, and it is Neutron player

I already have the TPU case on it.

I love the DAP for its sound, screen, UI, features and battery life. But i hate the volume knob. Even with the TPU case on the knob is easily depressed when the player is in your jean pocket and you bend down so the player suddenly turns off.

Hence why i want to change it. No case in the world is going to solve the ridiculous knob design and placement on it.

At least with the HiBy R8 and Shanling M8 the knob placement and design looks as if it wont have that problem.

But at the same time I want to understand what i am moving from and moving too. Hence my question about if any fine chaps have experience of the R8 and M8 compared to the DX300, what features are you losing or gaining?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back