iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Feb 21, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #4,276 of 14,596
Where can I find this official statements from Ibasso ? The way I see it , this FPGA is a Slave from the SOC Data and but will be Master for Audio Data. It is neither a Master nor a Slave in the typical configuration. This is the reason why they call it FPGA Master.

The roles is to auto correct any errors and variables coming from the SOC and data retrieval, buffer and reconstruction, conversions with DSP into I2S to communicate toward the DAC, which used to be a typical job from the SOC itself.

If I understand it correctly, all Chinese brands DAP are using it this way, not only Ibasso. Ibasso arrived as the latest maker that uses it. This configuration is also found in FiiO and Cayin as well

We can only hope then their explanation is correct and they did a teardown of the competing DAPs to come to that conclusion which I know they often do as the FiiO office comes stuffed with competing DAPs last time I visited their HQ.

Feb 21, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #4,277 of 14,596
For now, I will just take it the way that it isn’t anything different than other Chinese DAPs.

That is fine to me, the dx300 has enough uniques features as is. I am more excited about their Dual Chargers and batteries with power supplies rather than the FPGA. It is still an intriguing point and evokes curiosity whenever it surfaced

At this moment I can tell a sure thing is that , firmware will still have different influences on the performances outcome. It is less so than previously, but it exists. Switch from Android to MangoOS and the differences in performances is observable

Feb 21, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #4,278 of 14,596
Where can I find this official statements from Ibasso ? The way I see it , this FPGA is a Slave from the SOC Data and but will be Master for Audio Data. It is neither a Master nor a Slave in the typical configuration. This is the reason why they call it FPGA Master.

The roles is to auto correct any errors and variables coming from the SOC and data retrieval, buffer and reconstruction, conversions with DSP into I2S to communicate toward the DAC, which used to be a typical job from the SOC itself.

If I understand it correctly, all Chinese brands DAP are using it this way, not only Ibasso. Ibasso arrived as the latest maker that uses it. This configuration is also found in FiiO and Cayin as well

If you read the links, Master/Slave refers to where the bitfile image (i.e. the program/circuit that runs on the FPGA) resides. Either on a programmable ROM (master) or sent to the FPGA from the SoC (slave). It's not about who controls the data flow.

So this could be good or bad. Slave is probably easier for update. Master mode update is dependent on the implementation.

Feb 21, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #4,279 of 14,596
If you read the links, Master/Slave refers to where the bitfile image (i.e. the program/circuit that runs on the FPGA) resides. Either on a programmable ROM (master) or sent to the FPGA from the SoC (slave). It's not about who controls the data flow.

So this could be good or bad. Slave is probably easier for update. Master mode update is dependent on the implementation.
Thanks :wink:! I only see the bad , where is the good for Master implementation ?

Feb 21, 2021 at 8:12 AM Post #4,280 of 14,596
Thanks :wink:! I only see the bad , where is the good for Master implementation ?

I don't know to be honest :) I would guess 1) faster startup (FPGA can wake up as soon as power is on with it's own initialization, rather than waiting for SoC command), 2) larger bitfile image (more complex processing on the FPGA). I look at it as an independent middle-man between the SoC and DAC :)

Feb 21, 2021 at 8:32 AM Post #4,281 of 14,596
They emailed it to me when I asked them about the specific setup as follows. "The difference is that our FPGA is working in Master mode, and CPU is in slave mode. The M15 FPGA is in slave mode."

It is more of a design method rather than one being significantly better than the other, for the end result. You either push the data with an internal high priority interrupt, or the request (interrupt?) is generated by an external device. I am guessing the FPGA has its own buffer (DMA access?) and in iBasso implementation it decides on its own when to ask for more data, in FiiO implementation the controller has a way of knowing (e.g. reading some status register) the buffer status of the FPGA and pushes the data based on that. As long as the buffer size and response times of the devices are properly taken into account while making the design, the outcome will be the same. So no big issue there.

The only thing could be with the FPGA master the (interrupt) service routines on the CPU side are shorter, as the decision is taken on the FPGA side, the awake duration of the controller is shorter and maybe (if any) no need of polling is needed. That will not influence the audio quality for sure but there might be very slight battery usage advantage.

By the way, as also the controllers are different, the design decision whether to use master or slave mode might be dependent on that.

Note that, I am only guessing...

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #4,282 of 14,596
Just to add, I would expect that the FPGA is (I haven't seen an official technical writing from iBasso) used mainly for buffering and jitter control. I don't think any DSP functionality is in there. Even some smaller devices that don't want to use the internal DAC of the Bluetooth chip and want to redirect the bitstream to the main DAC use an FPGA based buffer/ jitter control in between, as the Bluetooth on-chip clocks are not high precision.

Feb 21, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #4,284 of 14,596
Well, as much as I like the DX300, I listed mine for sale in the market.
We all have different things that float our boat. I really enjoy the Max but I have nothing that comes close to the timbre accuracy of the DX300. With over 500 hours on the unit, I am amazed that the openers, black background and general quality of the sound. I am looking forward to the fun of what comes up with the other amp cards.

Feb 21, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #4,285 of 14,596
Ibasso is sold out and no Canadian dealers, so I’ll wait a bit for one.

I’m a tidal user, would the sound be different in mango vs android? I’ve never had a DAP (unless you count my LG G7), so I’m still wrapping my head around things.

Feb 21, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #4,286 of 14,596
Ibasso is sold out and no Canadian dealers, so I’ll wait a bit for one.

I’m a tidal user, would the sound be different in mango vs android? I’ve never had a DAP (unless you count my LG G7), so I’m still wrapping my head around things.
The apps like Tidal have to be used in Android so in Pure Mango, you won't have Tidal. But on the DX300 I enjoy Tidal a lot and with the stored music on the SD card or internal memory, Pure Mango is excellent.

Feb 21, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #4,287 of 14,596
Can dx300 be used as a Bluetooth dac in Mango os?
And if yes , it would be awesome if someone would share the audiable differences in SQ while streaming tidal on a phone Ldac-ing it to dx300 in Mango Os VS just streaming it on dx300 android mode :)

Feb 21, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #4,288 of 14,596
Can dx300 be used as a Bluetooth dac in Mango os?
And if yes , it would be awesome if someone would share the audiable differences in SQ while streaming tidal on a phone Ldac-ing it to dx300 in Mango Os VS just streaming it on dx300 android mode :)
No. That is what the android operating system is for. Pure mango strips all that away.

Feb 21, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #4,289 of 14,596
I don't know to be honest :) I would guess 1) faster startup (FPGA can wake up as soon as power is on with it's own initialization, rather than waiting for SoC command), 2) larger bitfile image (more complex processing on the FPGA). I look at it as an independent middle-man between the SoC and DAC :)
Thank you :)
No. That is what the android operating system is for. Pure mango strips all that away.
not even the LeD bar will display it color LOL!

Dx200 UI and speed is super duper fast for a DAP. I like how it open app, close app, and get wireless signals, even streaming Netflix is all good. I sometimes browse head-fi with it too.

Also, whoever have funky “double tap to wake”, just factory reset it, and Voila!

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2021 at 12:00 AM Post #4,290 of 14,596
76D57C52-FF49-4785-8190-480B77F5D3CD.jpeg

I dug out the bluetooth speaker (with cable) and am watching American Gods on a day off.

The kids dug out the iron beads last night. New restart project for them

I am currently using the Monks for bedtime tv use - need a flatter solution. Maybe i will try the lite Monks...or get a round donut pillow :)

it is quite the versatile machine. Modern.

i am having fun and thats always a good sign

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back