iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Feb 12, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #3,946 of 14,593
Frankly it's also for me the one of the two main sound characteristics I'm on the fence about for the dx300. I use sensitive IEMs, but in some way they emphasize even more (in my experience at least) subtle differences between DAPs low end response. My main comparison so far has been with dx228 (which I love). To me, there's a certain muddiness or untightness whatever you wanna call it in the mid to high bass of dx300 compared to dx228, combined with a slight ”emphasis” (no such thing really with high end daps) in the same region. It makes bass heavy tracks sound somewhat ”unclear” in the low end and quite less defined spatially as well from mid frequencies downwards.

The second thing I prefer dx228 over dx300 is separation and precise spatial imaging. Now, ”woolly” bass/low mids and separation are archenemies so maybe they're one and the same issue, I can't say.

On one hand I'm hoping potentially another amp card can improve things, but the dx228 is better sounding to so should I take the risk? Dilemmas!

Possible. I have only one IEM and until now I haven't tried it with DX300 yet. I also don't have the DX228, so cannot compare, so with sensitive IEMs YMMV. Though not super punchy, I am getting real good bass results with the music I sent 2-3 pages ago, with D9200. Clean, balanced and surprisingly fast (slow and bleeding bass is what I call woolly).

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #3,948 of 14,593
I also have to say that with the Denon AH D9200 the DX300 was quite enjoyable to listen to.
For very reveiling upper mid centric songs I have even preferred it vs Dx220 max.
Due to the revealing character of the Denons they are are a good synergy to the above mentioned attributes of the DX300 and lead to a more smooth, wet and relaxed listening experience. Guess that's what is meant with woolly here 😉
With my Andromeda Gold I have made the same experience as ThomasHK.
I don't own it but I suspect dx228 has a similar sound signature as Dx220 max which I own

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #3,950 of 14,593
Well my dx300 is back to working again without any major issues.

Save for the screen going black (locking) when using the volume wheel...

I am surprised that none of my messages have been replied to @Paul - iBasso

Feb 12, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #3,952 of 14,593
Just trying to attach a video of the problem. Renders the DAP unusable.

Feb 12, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #3,954 of 14,593
Well my dx300 is back to working again without any major issues.

Save for the screen going black (locking) when using the volume wheel...

I am surprised that none of my messages have been replied to @Paul - iBasso
Did you email him. I know that at the bottom of his posts it says to use his email address. And as mentioned, it is the Chinese New Year.

Feb 12, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #3,955 of 14,593
Anyone knows why the number of filters change in Mango vs Android? In Android the short delay slow filter is the number 2 and in Mango is 4
It is the same as the side buttons. It is because 2 different OS, and so the interfaces changes a little bit. Few years back it used to be a lot more differences than recently though. Try to imagine using IOS vs Linux, everything will just be different :)

Feb 12, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #3,956 of 14,593
Did you email him. I know that at the bottom of his posts it says to use his email address. And as mentioned, it is the Chinese New Year.

Yeah. Will go ahead and send another email just in case. It is a shame- great DAP otherwise.

Seems like it will be going back..

Feb 12, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #3,957 of 14,593
Yeah. Will go ahead and send another email just in case. It is a shame- great DAP otherwise.

Seems like it will be going back..
If you can’t use the player being a new and out of the box, you should contact the seller from whom you have purchased it from and ask for a replacement ? That would be the first thing I do if it was me

Feb 12, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #3,958 of 14,593
If you can’t use the player being a new and out of the box, you should contact the seller from whom you have purchased it from and ask for a replacement ? That would be the first thing I do if it was me

Already done that. They will only be ordering new stock in after 23/02 due to the Chinese New Year. Which will mean mid March at the earliest

Feb 12, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #3,959 of 14,593
Already done that. They will only be ordering new stock in after 23/02 due to the Chinese New Year. Which will mean mid March at the earliest
That is fair enough. It is expected for new devices. Cayin is running shortage on orders for C9 at some dealers and will only fulfill somewhere in March as well.

Feb 12, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #3,960 of 14,593
20210213_021910.jpg

Some days I really hate this hobby.

TLDR: the dx300 and dx228 are both fantastic players and depending on whether you value ”naturalness” and ”width” over ”spatial accuracy”, ”clearly defined layers in space outwards” and higher resolution in the low frequencies, your preferences will go to the former or the latter.

The story
I love my dx228, really. In my humble, totally personal not be taken as gospel opinion, that thing is the ultimate TOTL DAP killer. I've listened to everything else (except M8, R8, but yes, all high end AK, Lotoo, Fiio), never found anything that made me change, except it's best companion, the H2 (more on that later*)

Then only fairly recently I heard about the dx300. Holy moly, a more technically advanced architecture, better power management, amp8 derived amp11...?!? Made me hyper excited and hit the order button pretty quickly. Spent serious money on the dx300. But then...

In all the obvious practical ways it's a much better experience than the dx220/8 (SOC, OS, screen, battery life (!!, damn you dx228), overall UX as a media consumption device).

But sound...

In some ways it scores better points ”subjectively ” wider, more ”natural” (what the screw does that even mean anyway with headphones?),
”timbre”/”naturalness” in real instruments,
”immersiveness” (puke... sorry guys).

But...
If width comes at the expense of layers in depth
If naturalness comes at the expense of separation
And if ”mid-high bass muddiness” compromises the layering and low end ”transparency” (puke)
... then the choice for the newer, brighter sexier thing comes at a grave cost.

Without knowing what the amp modules will bring, I feel I'm in position where statistically it makes more sense to sell the dx300 keep most of my money and be perfectly happy soundwise with my dx228 (on the move) and the H2 (at home, never really used as straight comparison, rather an anchor point -- more on that in the end*) .
Disclaimer 1: some people much prefer natural sound over crazy 3D spaciousness, seperation and layering. Great, dx300 will be amazing for you, it's a fantastic unit. Piano, strings, etc... trumps dx228 no question. So you'll love it !!

I listen mostly to of-the-now highly complex, masterfully engineered electronic music and impeccably engineered metal and hip-hop with dozens of layers in the space and frequency domains (yes, I went there). The dx228 represents those elements much more precise in both frequency and spatial domains. That's my thing, may not be your thing. Suubbjjjeeeecttttivvee.

*remember higher up I said dx228 is flipping awesome in some ways? Well if you like them ways, you owe it do yourself to hook up a dx220 over optical to Hugo2 and experience, what is in my humble experience, in some ways a dx228 with all the good attributes turned up to 11 and the end result is the culmination (to date that I have heard) of how far you can push that type of sound (super 3D, pin accurate spatial positioning, blaaaaaack background, surgical knife cuts defining the elements of separation, well balanced, tight bass but still all the extension you ever need etc etc...). Shouldn't come as a surprise my Anchor point to evaluate everything to eventually

Users who are viewing this thread

Back