iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Feb 1, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #3,361 of 14,593
Try MQA albums that is encoded at minimum 24 bits . The new musics are all in that MQA or 16/44.1

So for modern Music, at least MQA is very useful because that is the whole industry is heading.

However, Quoobuz is also pushing the High-Res games. You just need to be careful, some of them are Upsampled, and some are studio made :D

If you asked me for modern music, you better stick to MQA with 24bits depth. At least you eliminate one of the Bit Depth reduction factor. The master quality and how it was recorded is another matter though

@Bosk if you like Apocalyptica, try their new Cell-0 in MQA, pretty good
Thanks for the recommendation! I'm not much of a metal head but have just begun listening to that album while typing this. Seems to be recorded fairly "hot" (such is the case with so many modern recordings) but the dynamics and powerful sense of space immediately jump out, with impressive soundstage depth.

It feels incredible listening to music for the first time at such high levels of sound quality. Older folk will remember the days of listening to FM radio to discover new music (a surprisingly high-end source if you were lucky to own something like a Magnum Dynalab tuner with a beefy antenna) before purchasing the CD to hear what it really sounds like.

Getting back to the technical stuff I'm no stranger to the sad reality more bits in a fancy new format does not necessarily equate to better sound, with numerous purchased HDTracks 24bit albums that sound worse than the 16/44 versions to show for it - I get jittery (not that kind of jitter) upon seeing the term "Remastered" these days. I won't attempt to open up the whole PCM vs DSD can of worms either. So any news the industry is getting its act together re: streamlining hi-res recording standards would be welcome indeed.

Feb 1, 2021 at 11:54 PM Post #3,362 of 14,593
at least MQA is very useful because that is the whole industry is heading.

xMQA-RIP2-300x300.png.pagespeed.ic.dmZ8aNOzRE.png

"Nobody asked for MQA. Nobody needs it or particularly wants it. It was an answer to a question nobody asked. While it arguably wasn’t stillborn, it had lived a short, miserable existence."

Feb 2, 2021 at 12:56 AM Post #3,365 of 14,593
What's everyone's favorite Digital Filter setting?
I've been mainly on D3 but occasionally do NOS. D3 gives me the best slam and attack for modern music, NOS gives me some airiness and soundstage for well-recorded instrumentals... but it might all be placebo tho lol

Feb 2, 2021 at 2:45 AM Post #3,366 of 14,593
I've been mainly on D3 but occasionally do NOS. D3 gives me the best slam and attack for modern music, NOS gives me some airiness and soundstage for well-recorded instrumentals... but it might all be placebo tho lol
Non Over Sampling (NOS). I feel it gives the least softening effect for me. Especially for vocals. Definitely not placebo.

I am using different filters depending on the headphones. But NOS would be my default recommendation.

Feb 2, 2021 at 2:55 AM Post #3,367 of 14,593
I haven't listened to my PL too much lately but now I will. As I remember it I was rightly impressed with it and I can assure you I will not be able to tell a great deal difference from it to just about any other TOTL DAPs I own. Right after I got it I was pretty infatuated with it. The non-android OS has a lot to do with it for sure but with ESS9038 dac chips it pretty much is state of it's art.
Yeh i have seen it being compared to the likes of sp1000 and LPGT back a while ago. And as im ussualy using warm iems. Typical ESS tunning is a very good match.
Unfortunately as i spend more and more time with earphones on. I ended up subbing to amazon music HD due to its manageable SQ and music library.
So streaming capability has become one of necessities on dap so no go for Cowon.

That said, i woke up with 7% digital battery again on my dx300 this morning, and being annoyed by the fact that this thing does not charge on 95% of ussual chargers. I pulled a trigger on Hiby R8.

Will be an interesting comparison and then i will decide which one to keep.
Slender vs Fat lol.
And Fat one needs to screw up on quite a few things now to be sold/returned.

Feb 2, 2021 at 3:32 AM Post #3,368 of 14,593
When I connect DX300 to my Windows laptop over USB-C it recognizes is as Google Nexus ADB Debug interface. Any idea how I turn on regular file transfer?

1612254683023.png

I've tried turning off USB debugging in the developer options that doesn't work...

Feb 2, 2021 at 3:58 AM Post #3,369 of 14,593
Yeh i have seen it being compared to the likes of sp1000 and LPGT back a while ago. And as im ussualy using warm iems. Typical ESS tunning is a very good match.
Unfortunately as i spend more and more time with earphones on. I ended up subbing to amazon music HD due to its manageable SQ and music library.
So streaming capability has become one of necessities on dap so no go for Cowon.

That said, i woke up with 7% digital battery again on my dx300 this morning, and being annoyed by the fact that this thing does not charge on 95% of ussual chargers. I pulled a trigger on Hiby R8.

Will be an interesting comparison and then i will decide which one to keep.
Slender vs Fat lol.
And Fat one needs to screw up on quite a few things now to be sold/returned.
I think there is something wrong with your unit.
My unit can be charge even using a non QC charger but slowly.

Feb 2, 2021 at 4:11 AM Post #3,370 of 14,593
I think there is something wrong with your unit.
My unit can be charge even using a non QC charger but slowly.
Could be. It actually charges very quick when it does. I am still trying to figure where the problem lies. Maybe its something external and not necessarily dap related. But i use all the chargers that are used daily with other devices. And they are all quick chargers. Charging speed is not a problem here.

I just really wish it was plug and play experience as i am stupidly busy catching up after getting out of self isolation. All i want to do is plug that thing in and let it do its thing...

Feb 2, 2021 at 4:28 AM Post #3,372 of 14,593
Does anybody have a link to a cable that I can use to use the dx300 as a transport to a hugo2?

Feb 2, 2021 at 5:09 AM Post #3,373 of 14,593
I really really enjoy this dap .I was worried about the size when I first got it , but it’s grown on me , love the large screen . The player doesn’t heat up at all.
For those who stream, it is great for watching the MVs.

Feb 2, 2021 at 5:45 AM Post #3,375 of 14,593
Could be. It actually charges very quick when it does. I am still trying to figure where the problem lies. Maybe its something external and not necessarily dap related. But i use all the chargers that are used daily with other devices. And they are all quick chargers. Charging speed is not a problem here.

I just really wish it was plug and play experience as i am stupidly busy catching up after getting out of self isolation. All i want to do is plug that thing in and let it do its thing...
Quick charge on phone might not work on DX300 as some phone manufacturers uses their own quickly charge technology. Looks like it is better to get a separate charger that supports QC3.0 or PD2.0.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back