iBasso DX220Max ****************** New FW! 1.01 for download! 1st Page.
Aug 24, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #2,525 of 3,627
I bought a usbc to usb c cable
C to C cable can be tricky between two devices that both support OTG. It may work only when the cable ends are connected in a particular order, or doesn't work at all. If you have a USB hub, you can start with connecting the hub to the phone, then DX220Max already in DAC mode to the hub via A to C cable.

Aug 24, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #2,526 of 3,627
Here's the problem. I use it for a one hour walk every day
Uapp sounds much better than the Tidal player. I'm using my phone as a hot spot
Works pretty well with Tidal , but on the Max (and my previous 220) Uapp doesn't work so well. I listen too Audeze LCD i4's. They really need eq to sounds their best. I have parametric eq with Uapp. On the Max, Uapp drops out frequently. It does not on my phone. So--- I was hoping for a hard wired connection and use my phone as the player. I wasn't knocked out by the Bluetooth performance on my 220. What is the best codec to use? I'm pretty ignorant with such matters

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #2,527 of 3,627
I'd like to help with your dilema but to be honest I don't know about that stuff either, barely. On all my DAPs I only use local file storage, more than enough with a 1tb card, ~22k tracks. That way I avoid all the pooky muck with streaming, otg, dac mode, yada yada yada.

Aug 24, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #2,528 of 3,627
yeah--I get it. It's just that I listen to such a huge variety of music that it's much cheaper for me to pay for Tidal and Qobuz each month. And my listening habits change. I'd go broke buying all of that stuff.
I hooked it up with my phone as a Bluetooth player. Works fine, but I have ALL volumes cranked--even high gain. For my listening levels (relatively loud I guess--but hey--not Death Metal) I'm at about 90% on the Max volume control. Makes me think that I might be missing some headroom

Aug 24, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #2,529 of 3,627
C to C cable can be tricky between two devices that both support OTG. It may work only when the cable ends are connected in a particular order, or doesn't work at all. If you have a USB hub, you can start with connecting the hub to the phone, then DX220Max already in DAC mode to the hub via A to C cable.

This is how I got DAC mode working too. I initially ran a usb-c>usb-c between my iPad Pro and DX220 Max, but it didn’t work.
I later tried an old usb-c to usb-a “pigtail” from iPad then the usb-a to usb-c cable (the one that came with the Max) plugged into the “pigtail” and it works perfect.
Similar situation with my iMac. Usb-c>usb-c cable didn’t work for dac mode, but usb-a to usb-c works perfect.

Aug 25, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #2,530 of 3,627
This is how I got DAC mode working too. I initially ran a usb-c>usb-c between my iPad Pro and DX220 Max, but it didn’t work.
I later tried an old usb-c to usb-a “pigtail” from iPad then the usb-a to usb-c cable (the one that came with the Max) plugged into the “pigtail” and it works perfect.
Similar situation with my iMac. Usb-c>usb-c cable didn’t work for dac mode, but usb-a to usb-c works perfect.
I agreed, this is a better way to use Max as external DAC. The USB C is very funky and complicated interfaces

Aug 26, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #2,532 of 3,627
I'm considering the DX220 max for my next DAP, but I'm confused about the separate digital and analog sections and their respective batteries. Can someone give me a dumbed down explanation?
The Digital section, is just that, all that is digital and the conversion to analog. It of course need a source of power and for the Max, there is a single battery just for this section. Then there is the amplifier, all discrete with the Max, and for that, you get 4 batteries with no boost to the voltage. Most amps in daps if the voltage swing is going to be higher, use a single battery and then a chip that boosts the voltage to what is desired. This works and can work well but optimal is pure voltage and current from a battery etc. but due to size, this is hard if you are going to have any play time. So the Max uses the 4 batteries and you get non boosted pure voltage and current. By dividing the batteries between the Dac and the Amp, you also don't get any digital info (many different types) creeping into the analog amplifier section. This also means a better current delivery to each section for a purer sound and most likely, more of what the dac manufacture had in mind. And, the Max does this. Best sounding dap I have ever heard, easily.

Aug 26, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #2,533 of 3,627
The Digital section, is just that, all that is digital and the conversion to analog. It of course need a source of power and for the Max, there is a single battery just for this section. Then there is the amplifier, all discrete with the Max, and for that, you get 4 batteries with no boost to the voltage. Most amps in daps if the voltage swing is going to be higher, use a single battery and then a chip that boosts the voltage to what is desired. This works and can work well but optimal is pure voltage and current from a battery etc. but due to size, this is hard if you are going to have any play time. So the Max uses the 4 batteries and you get non boosted pure voltage and current. By dividing the batteries between the Dac and the Amp, you also don't get any digital info (many different types) creeping into the analog amplifier section. This also means a better current delivery to each section for a purer sound and most likely, more of what the dac manufacture had in mind. And, the Max does this. Best sounding dap I have ever heard, easily.

That's a great explanation, thank you.

So if I'm just listening to the headphone out, it's using both sections/battery configurations correct? What are the use cases for using one over the other?

Aug 26, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #2,534 of 3,627
That's a great explanation, thank you.

So if I'm just listening to the headphone out, it's using both sections/battery configurations correct? What are the use cases for using one over the other?
It is always using all the batteries unless you are using digital out, then the digital section is using the battery that is isolated from the other 4 batteries. I like the Max as a complete unit, using the headphone out and it is extremely quiet so it is also good with IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back