iBasso DX220Max ****************** New FW! 1.01 for download! 1st Page.
Jun 26, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #1,801 of 3,626
I do recall having this shutdown issue a couple of times in a year with DX220 but didn't really bother me.
So far I haven't had this issue with MAX in about 2 and half weeks that I had this device and I do not
anticipate having it.

Jun 26, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #1,802 of 3,626
I do recall having this shutdown issue a couple of times in a year with DX220 but didn't really bother me.
So far I haven't had this issue with MAX in about 2 and half weeks that I had this device and I do not
anticipate having it.
Same here ! Everything has been smooth so far

Jun 26, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #1,803 of 3,626
One thing I've noticed is that sometimes the depletion level of battery between analog and digital
will differ by quite a big margin. Starting from 100%/100% I get 90%(digital) / 40%(analog) so I am
wondering why there's a big gap. How do we make it even??

Jun 26, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #1,805 of 3,626
One thing I've noticed is that sometimes the depletion level of battery between analog and digital
will differ by quite a big margin. Starting from 100%/100% I get 90%(digital) / 40%(analog) so I am

You can't, the android (mainboard) battery runs down quicker than the amp battery

Jun 26, 2020 at 9:11 PM Post #1,806 of 3,626

Well, as I have been paying attentions, there are many different circumstances. Most of theee are in MangoOS

1/ first and foremost, Low gain always sounds the best to me.

Under Low gain, and if you have hard to drive such as HD800S, you would want 70-80% volume on the knob. When you are here, the Amp battery got drained very fast 15-20%, but it still going to last about 8 hours or so

2/ Medium gain is where regardless of loads and volume, both DAC and Amp battery are about as much as 10% differences, but normally about within 5%

3/ High Gain, the DAC will drain about 8-10% faster than the AMP, but in this mode and hd800s, I only need 30-40% volumes

4/ Also that when using in #1 and using very little volume, both DAC and Amp batteries are also very well balanced from 5-8%

So I am willing to bet that it is all related to one another. But there is really no way to balance it out happily.

Then again, Low gain is where all the soundstage, separations, layering, imagines are at it maximized performances....mid gains is a little compressed in comparison, then high gain is the worse

Also the Android OS seems to have a better accurate read at amp battery.

This problem isn’t isolated to Max alone, the DMP Z1 also faces similar issues, where it batteries displays the average of all batteries and not one or individual, sometimes after using it , and leave it sitting idle, then come back to see 25% batteries just dropped.
Either players have no problem holding up into 8 hours ranges

Jun 26, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #1,808 of 3,626
Well, as I have been paying attentions, there are many different circumstances. Most of theee are in MangoOS

1/ first and foremost, Low gain always sounds the best to me.

Under Low gain, and if you have hard to drive such as HD800S, you would want 70-80% volume on the knob. When you are here, the Amp battery got drained very fast 15-20%, but it still going to last about 8 hours or so

2/ Medium gain is where regardless of loads and volume, both DAC and Amp battery are about as much as 10% differences, but normally about within 5%

3/ High Gain, the DAC will drain about 8-10% faster than the AMP, but in this mode and hd800s, I only need 30-40% volumes

4/ Also that when using in #1 and using very little volume, both DAC and Amp batteries are also very well balanced from 5-8%

So I am willing to bet that it is all related to one another. But there is really no way to balance it out happily.

Then again, Low gain is where all the soundstage, separations, layering, imagines are at it maximized performances....mid gains is a little compressed in comparison, then high gain is the worse

Also the Android OS seems to have a better accurate read at amp battery.

This problem isn’t isolated to Max alone, the DMP Z1 also faces similar issues, where it batteries displays the average of all batteries and not one or individual, sometimes after using it , and leave it sitting idle, then come back to see 25% batteries just dropped.
Either players have no problem holding up into 8 hours ranges

Thanks for the tip. Option #4 sounds appealing and try it out.

Jun 27, 2020 at 12:28 AM Post #1,809 of 3,626
So , your new toy sounds better than all your previous TOTL daps ? You pretty much had all of them.
So far, pretty good. But since mine is brand new with just 10+ hours and still in a honeymoon state, I would not make any comment about the sound quality in comparison with other TOTL DAPs.
But at least, the sound signature of the MAX is my liking. The synergy with Dita Dream XLS is at sublime level.

Jun 27, 2020 at 1:28 AM Post #1,810 of 3,626
So far, pretty good. But since mine is brand new with just 10+ hours and still in a honeymoon state, I would not make any comment about the sound quality in comparison with other TOTL DAPs.
But at least, the sound signature of the MAX is my liking. The synergy with Dita Dream XLS is at sublime level.
Bright max with a warmish iem.

Jun 27, 2020 at 2:48 AM Post #1,811 of 3,626
If this is an issue happening in the last 3 iterations of the product and is still there it signals an issue, at least about the release process of the company. It is not about if some fanboys not having it (apparently they only have a timbres density problem), it is about some of the people out there experiencing it and having to deal with such a basic issue, which apparently can only be solved "temporarily" by doing a hard factory reset. This is not a simple thing.

Before releasing a product, companies must have done extensive testing, not just sound quality but extensive system level testing. This kind of an issue that happened to at least 3 people out of maybe 10-15 shows that it is not a hard to observe issue for a company with tens of units in their possession, with about 4 years of history on that product. Apparently, they ignored it and / or people were not reactive about such issues to be caught before a release.

I have seen with what kind of horrible bugs DX220 was released, and apparently because of proper customer pressure for them to fix their release process, they will, also using their freebie monsters and / or fanboy community, they will try to make us see it as OK, which is not.

Everything I mentioned before and this problem reappearing in the third iteration of the product are connected at the point of lack of attention. The mentality that leaves the not usable menu items in the user interface and lets such bugs to slip and carry on are the same. This thread is full of their fanboys that has no problem with buying every gadget out there and throwing out some money and freebie monsters that received the product for free, and what they say about the product should not even count.

Companies are responsible for everything that they throw in front of us. Everything that is listed in the list of features is important, unlike what some freebie monster / money-no-issue Pollyanna fanboys say.

So people, if you like iBasso sound quality, please make pressure on them to fix their process by sending out such issues to them and following up their progress. This is the only way to really enjoy the music with those products you bought, in the way that you want to enjoy it.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2020 at 5:46 AM Post #1,812 of 3,626
So whats a great charger for the digital section. I'm using a 12v Apple charger atm and I'm, finding the leaving it to burn in the battery not staying at 100% and dropping down to 86% when never unplugged so am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a better charger.

Jun 27, 2020 at 6:13 AM Post #1,813 of 3,626
Four times now my Max has shut down when I press the power button to wake up the screen to skip a song. Each time I had to do a hard reset to get it working again. Has this happened to anyone else?
....after 100 hours of use no problems detected.

Jun 27, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #1,814 of 3,626
I find this device in portable use, the amp section I don't need to charge often.

I only need to worry about the dac/os section on the go.

Jun 27, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #1,815 of 3,626
I find this device in portable use, the amp section I don't need to charge often.

I only need to worry about the dac/os section on the go.

Do you stack it with another external amp or are you driving it straight from LO while controlling dac output as volume? I assume the latter one since you mentioned "on the go" and stacking it with more weight would defeat its purpose :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back