iBasso DX170 You want your Music? It is right here. *** NEW Firmware: 1.06 Apple support and other additions! ***
Mar 8, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #1,231 of 1,656
Kinda in between this one and the M3 Ultra (399 eur vs. 479 eur). I really liked the iBasso DC06 dongle and I'm not sure if that's an indication that i like the "iBasso sound"...

Mar 10, 2023 at 4:53 AM Post #1,232 of 1,656
Best of luck! I have been close to pulling the trigger on the DX170 several times, but the lack of a Canadian distributor/service center and the various reports of borked devices is causing a lot of hesitation on my part.
Attempted a direct iBasso RMA but it would have needed to be sent to China directly. I am from the EU, so there isn't anything here either.

Upon having heard that, I now went down the vendor route. The device is currently on its way back and I hope they will be able to reproduce the problem.

As to what will happen then, is left to be seen. I overall like the device but its "performance" in terms of hardware is a tad lackluster given its price tag. It sounds fantastic to me though. As I don't use a DAP for much else but playback I can deal with lackluster performance if at least the device was stable.

Chances are it will take a few days or weeks until the vendor gets back to me. Whether I get store credit, a replacement unit or have to sit out an iBasso RMA is left to be seen. Worst case: "Not reproducible" and I wind up with the same unit.

With all that said, I am not sure if this would go any smoother with say Fiio or Shanling in terms of local servicing. Most DAP things seem to now reside in China.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #1,233 of 1,656
New Firmware:

http://www.ibasso.com/uploadfiles/download/DX170FW-ota-v1.04.zip

1. Improved the USB digital output compatibility.
2. Rectified the bug that the volume wheel can not control the volume of some Bluetooth devices.
3. Improved the battery saver function, now battery saver works when charging with the player powered off.
4. Rectified the bug that the Google backup doesn't function.
5. Launcher and Mango APP now support 180-degree screen rotation.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Mar 10, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #1,234 of 1,656
New Firmware:

2. Rectified the bug that the volume wheel can not control the volume of some Bluetooth devices.
3. Improved the battery saver function, now battery saver works when charging with the player powered off.

New Firmware:

I'm trying to download this new 1.04 firmware for my DX 170 but everytime I try to update it it says firmware 1.03 is the latest, hopefully it gets uploaded soon and hopefully this new firmware makes the user experience more fluid because the device is so slow and I only have 2 apps the native music player and Poweramp.

Mar 10, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #1,235 of 1,656
I'm trying to download this new 1.04 firmware for my DX 170 but everytime I try to update it it says firmware 1.03 is the latest, hopefully it gets uploaded soon and hopefully this new firmware makes the user experience more fluid because the device is so slow and I only have 2 apps the native music player and Poweramp.
This is a local update, to internal memory or a card. They show that that the over the air will be tomorrow.

Mar 11, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #1,237 of 1,656
Is it possible to run Mango OS on the DX170?

Seems strange why it isn't selectable like the DX240 etc, is it a limitation of the hardware perhaps?

Mar 11, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #1,239 of 1,656
I wonder if @Lurker0 might generate the firmware add-on for the DX170, like he did for the DX-160. That gave the DX160 the ability to run Mango OS. My guess is that he might do it, IF he owned the DX-170. I still have the DX-160 and am very thankful for @Lurker0 's work to improve the sound and features of the DX160 And for freely distributing his DX-160 Add-On.

Mar 11, 2023 at 8:46 PM Post #1,240 of 1,656
I wonder if @Lurker0 might generate the firmware add-on for the DX170, like he did for the DX-160. That gave the DX160 the ability to run Mango OS. My guess is that he might do it, IF he owned the DX-170. I still have the DX-160 and am very thankful for @Lurker0 's work to improve the sound and features of the DX160 And for freely distributing his DX-160 Add-On.
Did it improve battery life?

Mar 12, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #1,243 of 1,656
i think biggest downside of the DX170 compared to Fiio and Shanling is battery life.
Both other competitos have 14/15 hour battery life but are much heavier which is trade off i suppose
Indeed...
This is the most major issue occurring in almost every ibasso dap I owned so far....
Particularly on my DX160 ended up to a 4 hour total listening period from 100% to 10% battery life, including overly heat dissipation front and back of the device and all that issues over the first 6 months since my purchase...
Not the best experience so far...

Mar 12, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #1,244 of 1,656
Indeed...
This is the most major issue occurring in almost every ibasso dap I owned so far....
Particularly on my DX160 ended up to a 4 hour total listening period from 100% to 10% battery life, including overly heat dissipation front and back of the device and all that issues over the first 6 months since my purchase...
I only get 5 hours on my dx170 why is it so hard for I basso to give us good battery life?

Mar 12, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #1,245 of 1,656
Indeed...
Yea, "Everything in life (and Audio) is a balance."

- On my 160 I can get 10+hrs using the 3.5mm Out, no Wifi, No BT, And screen off with 16/44 FLAC files.
- But switching to Balanced out drops battery life to 6Hrs.
- I can see how streaming from WIFI, with BT on, and Running higher bitrate files would drop to 4hrs... Especially if screen is also on much.(Does help to switch to the lower resolution screen setting...)

* I'm sure that iBasso could make a 160/170 sized unit with 20hrs battery life (3.5mm), but sound quality would drop somewhat lower (And be like everyone else).
* And doubling battery size could be done to double battery life; but the size would increase...

Every decision or choice has both positive and negative consequences.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back