iBasso DX170 You want your Music? It is right here. *** NEW Firmware: 1.06 Apple support and other additions! ***
Aug 11, 2022 at 12:56 AM Post #211 of 1,635
I am still debating between DX170 and RS2. Today just received a RU6 dongle as a first taste of R2R sound signature. However, it is not that apparent and I need more time to appreciate the difference. From my first impression, RU6 vs Lotoo PAW S1, R2R seems to have denser (thicker) sound signature, however very subtle.

But as a dongle, I realized that it is still not a perfect ideal to replace my DAP: first, the phone + connected dongle is more messy than just one DAP for outdoor mobility. Second, at least for RU6, my one hour and twenty minutes of continous streaming reduce the battery of my phone from 100% to 81%.

I guess I will still use dongles occasionally outside, but mostly will use them in my office in stationary with my laptop.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2022 at 1:29 AM Post #212 of 1,635
I am still debating between DX170 and RS2. Today just received a RU6 dongle as a first taste of R2R sound signature. However, it is not that apparent and I need more time to appreciate the difference. From my first impression, RU6 vs Lotoo PAW S1, R2R seems to have denser (thicker) sound signature, however very subtle.

But as a dongle, I realized that it is still not a perfect ideal to replace my DAP: first, the phone + connected dongle is more messy than just one DAP for outdoor mobility. Second, at least for RU6, my one hour and twenty minutes of continous streaming reduce the battery of my phone from 100% to 81%.

I guess I will still use dongles occasionally outside, but mostly will use them in my office in stationary with my laptop.
Streaming w dap outdoor will require hotspot data from ur hp, which is not free.

But a lot of telco have bundle music steaming app thats has unlimited data on hp. Just for this reason I got myself a dongle dac for use outdoor. Anyway outdoor is always not a good environment for proper listening to music with all the environment disturbment.

Aug 11, 2022 at 6:02 AM Post #213 of 1,635
Competetors offer at least Ldac...too bad

Which competetors offer LDAC in BT DAC mode? Not an easy spec to find.

Aug 11, 2022 at 6:11 AM Post #214 of 1,635
Which competetors offer LDAC in BT DAC mode? Not an easy spec to find.
Most of daps, fiio m17, 15, 11,..., shanling M9,8 7,...., Hiby r6,5, they all offer ldac at least.
Fiio m17 has full set of bt dac format like ldac, aptx, aptx LL, aptx hd, sbc, aac, as in Fiio btr5/7.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2022 at 6:55 AM Post #215 of 1,635
Anyone has chance to compare dx170 with hiby r5 gen2, which has full set of bt dac signal formats except aptx LL?

I am split between two because of bt dac capabililiy.
Bta30 changes situation, which are now broadcastning BT signal for my TV, and now I am hearing theater class sound with bta30 and btr5 in ldac mode that makes some audio delay in tolerable level.
Therefore I am considering a better ldac capable dap

Aug 11, 2022 at 7:34 AM Post #216 of 1,635
Most of daps, fiio m17, 15, 11,..., shanling M9,8 7,...., Hiby r6,5, they all offer ldac at least.
Fiio m17 has full set of bt dac format like ldac, aptx, aptx LL, aptx hd, sbc, aac, as in Fiio btr5/7.

Understood, it's a bit confusing when the transmit and receive specifications are different. And I'm easily confused. :wink:

Aug 11, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #217 of 1,635
Anyone able to get MQA tracks to fully unfold with Mango Player? While the player identifies the file as MQA, the status bar bitrate only shows the first unfold. Shouldn't it be 352.8 or 384 kHz with 8x MQA? Also does anyone one know if the DX170 is an MQA renderer or full decoder?

@Paul - iBasso

Aug 11, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #218 of 1,635
Streaming w dap outdoor will require hotspot data from ur hp, which is not free.

But a lot of telco have bundle music steaming app thats has unlimited data on hp. Just for this reason I got myself a dongle dac for use outdoor. Anyway outdoor is always not a good environment for proper listening to music with all the environment disturbment.
I was using my phone + R2R dongle. Unlimited data is very common nowadays, even with data cap for high-speed, most of the time data is enough since I will use wifi whenever it is available.

Aug 11, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #219 of 1,635
I was using my phone + R2R dongle. Unlimited data is very common nowadays, even with data cap for high-speed, most of the time data is enough since I will use wifi whenever it is available.
Except if you are living in the medieval Greece where they charge €1 per 1GB...

Aug 11, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #220 of 1,635
Except if you are living in the medieval Greece where they charge €1 per 1GB...
Damn, that sucks. I have a friend who lives there, built a home, loves it but life isn't always easy.

Listened to the DX170 yesterday with the ES R10 headphones, and excellent, enjoyable music. So very musical.

Aug 11, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #221 of 1,635
Damn, that sucks. I have a friend who lives there, built a home, loves it but life isn't always easy.

Listened to the DX170 yesterday with the ES R10 headphones, and excellent, enjoyable music. So very musical.
Yes this is damn musical sounding DAP.

Aug 11, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #222 of 1,635
Great to see US dealers starting to get these in stock! Hopefully @Audio46 gets their stock in this week as well.

Yes! we have in stock all 3 colors 😊

20220811_122346-01.jpeg

Audio46 Audio46 is the destination store in NYC to demo and buy headphone products. Stay updated on Audio46 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Audio46 https://twitter.com/Audio46NYC https://www.instagram.com/audio46/ https://audio46.com/ info@audio46.com
Aug 11, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #225 of 1,635
I finally just had some time to set up the DX170. I do not have any sound comparisons yet, as I haven't had any extensive listening sessions with the DX170, but here are just some very initial comparisons to the M11 Plus ESS.

First off the DX170 is lighter, smaller, thinner and much more portable. The rounded edges plus smaller size makes it much more ergonomic and easier to hold and use as an everyday DAP.

There is a noticeable difference between the Snapdragon 660 with 4GB of RAM vs the RK3566 with 2GB of RAM. The M11 itself runs smoother and apps run smoother and better. On the DX170, I installed Google Play Store, uninstalled APK Pure and the Chinese app, and disabled animations and now it runs smoother than before, but not up to par to the M11 Plus. The M11 though, is $250 dollars more, and IMO the DX170 runs fine enough to use the apps I want, and Mango Player runs very smoothly, and would not be worth the extra $250 just for the benefit of the extra RAM and SoC. Will have to compare the sound to really determine if the M11 is worth the extra $250.

image_67202305.jpgimage_67164161.jpgimage_67153921.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back