iBasso DX170 You want your Music? It is right here. *** NEW Firmware: 1.06 Apple support and other additions! ***
Aug 9, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #197 of 1,635
Dang, iBasso seems to be knocking it out of the park lately. I own the DX320 and wouldn't trade it for anything but the form factor on the DX170 is pretty much spot on. Maybe a little bit wider than a smartphone but still, very close to smartphone size, slightly smaller in some ways to some smartphones because of the 5 inch screen.

New CPU and Android 11 at this price is an amazing deal depending on audio quality. Obviously I haven't heard it so that's the most important thing obviously. I wasn't a fan of the M11 (ESS model) so I returned it because I wasn't impressed, at least to my ears, and got the DX320 based on feedback from here. I made sure to purchase it from a US retailer that has a good return policy because I didn't think it would be worth the price. Took me 1 to 2 hours to decide it was a keeper.

In my research on DAPs they all seemed to use the same CPU's the 660 for upper end DAPs and the ones referenced here for lower prices ones until now. Moving everything to a new CPU and moving to Android 11 had to be a huge investment but probably one that will pay off in the long run. With new DAPs still shipping with 8 or below, same CPU that was in previous models shows how they are no ore of a hardware refresh with the same OS.

Honestly. 2GB of memory should be fine for a DAP. Android is really only memory hungry when playing games or keeping more background apps running but honestly a DAP Isn't really a gaming device and limited apps should be installed IMO. If you want to install 50+ apps then go for it but now you have 4 to 5 hours battery life. That and only allowing permission like location while the app is open in Android 11 should also help with battery life.

The list showed on the 2nd or 3rd page showed the CPU could handle a max of 4GB of RAM. That tends to be total RAM so if say the GPU used 512MB it counts towards that 4GB limit. Way back in the day putting 4GB of RAM and a video card with say 1GB of memory in the same PC was a waste. It would use 3GB of the RAM and 1GB from the video card due to the 4GB memory limit of 32 bit OS's, at least it wass that way 20 years ago.

EDIT: In fact, now that I think about it the Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 model only has 2GB of RAM and is one of the best video streamers available and it was originally a gaming first device. The cheaper tube shaped one only has 1GB of RAM which is why it can't run 64 bit apps.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2022 at 5:52 AM Post #198 of 1,635
Now that I've learned to read, and operate an iBasso device (it's not like I haven't spend 100s of hours with a DX160), I can attest that the quality of Bluetooth receiving as a DAC is also quite good. I'm using my iPhone for testing, so I can only connect with AAC, but after listening to a few tracks, it doesn't sound compressed or like I'm losing much in terms of resolution. Bass is tight, treble is crisp. I wandered around the office a bit and didn't lose the connection within about 20-25 ft.
There is not much spec on Bluetooth receiver of DX170, they only state BT version 5.

The BT receiver does Ldac, aptx, aptx LL?
Ibasso should state the specification clearly for customers.

There is more and more connection possibility with Bluetooth around.

Aug 10, 2022 at 6:39 AM Post #199 of 1,635
There is not much spec on Bluetooth receiver of DX170, they only state BT version 5.

The BT receiver does Ldac, aptx, aptx LL?
Ibasso should state the specification clearly for customers.

There is more and more connection possibility with Bluetooth around.

From official specs:

Attachments

• 123848.jpg
    123848.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 0
Aug 10, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #201 of 1,635
I don't see a leather case out there anywhere. Any ideas?

Aug 10, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #202 of 1,635
Yes, l knew this. But it says it is of transmitter.
As receiver, no info.

The below is from Bloom Audio's review. Also see this post on page 12 which shows the options for Bluetooth DAC mode inside Mango Player.iBasso really needs more info on their site.

Just saw that moon audio has the DX170 manual on their site. It. Clearly says it can be used as a BT DAC but is limited to AAC or SBC.

It also has features like USB and Bluetooth DAC modes to bypass the player and OS and use the device solely as a portable DAC/Amp.

from manual:
DX170 Bluetooth DAC.
After turning on the Bluetooth DAC, Bluetooth devices
such as a mobile phone can be paired with the DX170.
The DX170 can now stream from the connected Bluetooth
device.
Note: When in Bluetooth DAC mode, the DX170 supports
AAC and SBC.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #204 of 1,635
A few notes about performance.
Well this is not meant for multitasking, it is a pure music player.
I am writing this notes while streaming Qobuz.
With only one tab open I don't get any sound interruption but when a few browser tabs are simultaneously open then sound gets interrupted.
First thing I did was to uninstall APK pure and another application in Chinese.
Then I installed Google Play and then Qobuz and Tidal.
Both this apps when are open alone run smoothly and browsing the catalogue while streaming music is done without any lagging.
Anything more cannot be done.
The DX170 is old school music listening machine with the added benefit of the streaming services.
On a side note it is considerably faster than the Astell & Kern SR25 MKII.

Sidenote - this thingy is really powerful and it sounds very good out of the box.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #205 of 1,635
Has anyone tried the SPDIF output? It doesn't seem to work with the same cable I have used for DX320 and DX240. Is it a different format? 1-pole or 2-pole? Can the vendor answer this?

Aug 10, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #206 of 1,635
I just received mine an hour ago. So far so good. I did notice that UAPP needs to updated to support DX170, although it seems to work with the high-res driver selected (no MQA though). I also noticed that Mango Player doesn't seem to support MQA correctly based on the status bar bitrate (which should be 352.8 or 384 with 8x unfolding). Tidal seems to work correctly, however. Maybe I have a setting wrong somewhere.

Edit:

My first iBasso DAP, so maybe growing pains...

@Davy Wentzler, log sent.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #207 of 1,635
A few notes about performance.
Well this is not meant for multitasking, it is a pure music player.
I am writing this notes while streaming Qobuz.
With only one tab open I don't get any sound interruption but when a few browser tabs are simultaneously open then sound gets interrupted.
First thing I did was to uninstall APK pure and another application in Chinese.
Then I installed Google Play and then Qobuz and Tidal.
Both this apps when are open alone run smoothly and browsing the catalogue while streaming music is done without any lagging.
Anything more cannot be done.
The DX170 is old school music listening machine with the added benefit of the streaming services.
On a side note it is considerably faster than the Astell & Kern SR25 MKII.

Sidenote - this thingy is really powerful and it sounds very good out of the box.
How would you describe the sonic profile of the DX170? Warm? Neutral? Reference? Bright?

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2022 at 11:48 PM Post #208 of 1,635
How would you describe the sonic profile of the DX170? Warm? Neutral? Reference? Bright?
To my ears, I think it still retains the neutrality from dx160 and sonic wise nothing fundamentally changed, just a seemingly broader soundstage with more depth and height, don't want to use audio jargons but some might say holographic. A touch brighter but doesn't bring out as much harshness as the dx160.

I also really like how it sounds out of box but since my dx160 is still fine, I'm not sure yet to keep but I'm sure what to replace if I want to stay at the price bracket. The performance is also slightly better but still sucks ass. Honestly, it's not like you can get a better all in one package for the price. But how far the mobile phone world has gone, it can't help but reminds user how much the responsiveness should be and could be for a dap. They are just being gatekeeped by the stagnant industry. And battery is still samey

I also haven't tried out any of the dongle to see if it would ultimately a better option than having a separate dap. It's a viable and competitive alternative. Considering I don't have to deal with low performance android devices anymore. Then again it won't be as powerful or feature packed and my phone battery will die faster... So many options that's overlaps here or there.

Aug 10, 2022 at 11:58 PM Post #209 of 1,635
The below is from Bloom Audio's review. Also see this post on page 12 which shows the options for Bluetooth DAC mode inside Mango Player.iBasso really needs more info on their site.

Just saw that moon audio has the DX170 manual on their site. It. Clearly says it can be used as a BT DAC but is limited to AAC or SBC.

It also has features like USB and Bluetooth DAC modes to bypass the player and OS and use the device solely as a portable DAC/Amp.

from manual:
DX170 Bluetooth DAC.
After turning on the Bluetooth DAC, Bluetooth devices
such as a mobile phone can be paired with the DX170.
The DX170 can now stream from the connected Bluetooth
device.
Note: When in Bluetooth DAC mode, the DX170 supports
AAC and SBC.
Competetors offer at least Ldac...too bad

Aug 11, 2022 at 12:06 AM Post #210 of 1,635
Neutral warmish.
NOS mode is delicious, great analogue timbre and very musical sounding.
Can't stop listening, reminds me a lot of the DX300 that I am very, very sad that I don't own it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back