iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Feb 11, 2022 at 4:08 AM Post #6,317 of 6,983
what do you mean by "DX160 with lighter bass and good mids"

The CRA are a super detailed neutral iem with a fun oriented bass boost. I would consider this audiophle quailty basshead tuning which gives you as much bass as possible without affecting the clarity of the iem much. I've only heard this tuning in one other iem, The $3500 Elysian Accoustic Annihilator.

graph(4).png

My only gripe with it would be the 4.5khz peak which makes upper vocals sound dry and raspy at louder volumes but this nozzle mod fixes it

I was ready to dismiss it as the usual Chi-fi hype actually. But at that price I was practically losing nothing since i was looking for a cheap cable anyways and the FR fraphs looked exceptional so I took the chance.

Two months on I've already gotten 2 additional pairs to mod so i can give them to family and friends as gifts lol.
What type of swabs work? Any chance of a link to something? Ones I'm thinking of seem too thin to do the job...

Feb 11, 2022 at 4:43 AM Post #6,318 of 6,983
What type of swabs work? Any chance of a link to something? Ones I'm thinking of seem too thin to do the job...
I'm using alcohol swabs you get in those 100 pack boxes. Just cut them to size and roll them up into the nozzle.

I use a needle to help insert them into the nozzle. Make sure you keep a tight grip on the needle though as the magnet in the driver will attract it.

Feb 11, 2022 at 4:46 AM Post #6,319 of 6,983
You can get the CRA from amazon in the uk

CCA CRA in Ear Earphone, Ultra-thin Diaphragm Dynamic Driver IEM, Clear Sound & Deep Bass, Wired Earbuds with Tangle-Free Removable Cord-White With Mic https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09ND...t_i_3YN7XPW685KMKA7KJ97J?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I might pick up a set myself. Shame they're 0.75mm though and not 0.78mm as I already have a bunch of decent cables for my blon bl03s
Many thanks . I can now see them on amazon but maybe to bassy for my taste and pairing with dx160 . The description on Amazon describes it as having 'heavy bass dynamic'. I am still searching for more neutral options though . I really appreciated previous comment on the CCA and enjoy the forum

Feb 11, 2022 at 4:54 AM Post #6,320 of 6,983
I'm using alcohol swabs you get in those 100 pack boxes. Just cut them to size and roll them up into the nozzle.

I use a needle to help insert them into the nozzle. Make sure you keep a tight grip on the needle though as the magnet in the driver will attract it.
Thanks, so they dry and stay in place? Is that how it works?

Feb 11, 2022 at 4:59 AM Post #6,321 of 6,983
Thanks, so they dry and stay in place? Is that how it works?
Yes

Many thanks . I can now see them on amazon but maybe to bassy for my taste and pairing with dx160 . The description on Amazon describes it as having 'heavy bass dynamic'. I am still searching for more neutral options though . I really appreciated previous comment on the CCA and enjoy the forum
I'd give it a shot if possible. Yes the bass is heavy but not in the way normal basshead iems are tuned.

The mids stay mostly untouched without any nasty midbass bloat many $500 dollar iems don't manage to achieve.

It really is exceptional value.

If you don't want to try it my next suggestion would be the Heart Mirror.

Feb 11, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #6,323 of 6,983
Thanks for your advice.Really tempted. Looking at mindrop aria too for my new dx160. Indecisive still.Exciting choices I guess.
Hate to put it this way (because I respect his thoughts) but look at Crinacles list of best IEMs and choose anything that he doesn't like. Obviously try and stay in the middle, like C or B grade.... This is because he likes a boosted bass and does rate phones based on his target curve more than anything else (not a bad thing per se'). I find his reviews very helpful because even though my preferred signature is not the same as his, he is really consistant.

This is where I start when looking for something neutral.

I don't know if I mentioned it before with my recs, but the Tinhifi P1 (not the P1+) are very neutral and have some of the best mids under $800 IMO. A lot of people don't like them because the bass is neutral (they think of it as bass-light). If you get these, make sure to get the balanced cable upgrade because they DO take some extra current to drive well (though they CAN be driven from a simple phone, just not as well). The Dx160 can push them very well out of balanced 4.4mm connection. They don't sound as good out of 3.5mm IMO. If I mentioned them already, please disregard that paragraph.

Feb 12, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #6,324 of 6,983
I haven't used DX160 as USB DAC for a few months. But recently it seem very tricky to be able to control the volume with knob. It just doesn't work. It used to work smoothly
Any advice ?

Feb 12, 2022 at 7:43 PM Post #6,325 of 6,983
I haven't used DX160 as USB DAC for a few months. But recently it seem very tricky to be able to control the volume with knob. It just doesn't work. It used to work smoothly
Any advice ?
Is it because the system is running slowly and just not responding on the software side, or do you think it is a hardware thing? I would first try rebooting, then uninstalling apps that might be slowing things down. If none of that works and you think it could be a software thing, try resetting to factory, or clearing cache, or both.

Also, check to make sure you didn't accidentally disable the volume and/or buttons when screen is off??

Feb 13, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #6,326 of 6,983
Hi all,

is there any tempered glass available in the market, for this player?..since i got my player last year i've looked everywhere i could think of, but found only membrane protectors, like the stock ones..

Another thing, has anyone paired Fiio FA7s and FH5s with this player?..I am using FH3, UE 900s and Westone W40, and looking for an upgrade..FH5s is a hybrid semi open-back IEM for which i am unsure how well it isolates or leaks sound. On the other hand, the FA7s is pure closed-back BA driver which is supposed to isolate better and be more analytical which i like..
Considering that i LOVE how the FH3 sound with this player and having used before pure BA setup, i am torn between the two..

Thanks!

Feb 13, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #6,327 of 6,983
Hi all,

is there any tempered glass available in the market, for this player?..since i got my player last year i've looked everywhere i could think of, but found only membrane protectors, like the stock ones..

Another thing, has anyone paired Fiio FA7s and FH5s with this player?..I am using FH3, UE 900s and Westone W40, and looking for an upgrade..FH5s is a hybrid semi open-back IEM for which i am unsure how well it isolates or leaks sound. On the other hand, the FA7s is pure closed-back BA driver which is supposed to isolate better and be more analytical which i like..
Considering that i LOVE how the FH3 sound with this player and having used before pure BA setup, i am torn between the two..

Thanks!
A quick Google search turned up this, but I am sure there are more, and maybe cheaper on the market at this point (since it has been out since 2019).

I have not heard any of the Fiio IEMs, so I can't tell you about them, but if I might make a suggestion, and you are looking for an upgrade (at least in tiers), the iBasso IT-07 are perfectly married to the DX160 and DX300 IMO. They are one DD and 6 BA, and have that analytical (yet also fun) sound. You should do some reading about them instead of taking my word, because I have no idea the signature you are after. I CAN say that these are definitely TOTL IEMs. They are my end game, and I didn't have to spend $1k or more to get it. iBasso is known for making products that are equal or better than other's TOTL (and more expensive) gear at less than their cost. https://www.amazon.com/iBasso-Audiophile-7-Driver-Monitor-Earbuds/dp/B08MT829CV

Anyhow, just some food for thought!

Feb 14, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #6,329 of 6,983
Does anyone have issues where their DX160 boots to a black screen and doesn't accept input when they have an SD Card installed? I'm running bone stock software on it and have this issue pretty consistently. I have to, remove the SD Card out, force restart it, then put the SD card back in after it boots up normally. Very frustrating, I've reset the device twice to try to resolve this issue.

Feb 14, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #6,330 of 6,983
Does anyone have issues where their DX160 boots to a black screen and doesn't accept input when they have an SD Card installed? I'm running bone stock software on it and have this issue pretty consistently. I have to, remove the SD Card out, force restart it, then put the SD card back in after it boots up normally. Very frustrating, I've reset the device twice to try to resolve this issue.
There is the Android tool on the first page of this thread. I would use that on a PC and then update to the latest firmware. It will clear any software issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back