iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Feb 4, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #6,286 of 6,983
Is it straightforward to install the Fidelizer Rom on the DX160?

Maybe I do it this weekend

I flashed a lot of Android phones but never a dap lol
Works the exact same way. Just follow the steps laid out online and it is straightforward and easy. Same with Lurker if you choose to try that too.

Feb 4, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #6,288 of 6,983
Is it straightforward to install the Fidelizer Rom on the DX160?

Maybe I do it this weekend

I flashed a lot of Android phones but never a dap lol
Everything is explain in a video on his website. Just follow the video step by step. The video is better than the notice written also on his website.

Feb 4, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #6,289 of 6,983
I use the case that came with my Etymotic er4xr IEM’s. it is if they were made for the dx160.

They can be bought in the uk
https://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/products/etymotic-er38-65-4sx-deluxe-earphone-storage-case
I just realized I have ER4XR as well and I found the case laying under my bed and collecting dusk. ER4XR is acutally pretty good IEM for long-term listening outside if you don't mind deep insersion. I probably need to sell some of my gears no longer in use.

Feb 6, 2022 at 5:07 AM Post #6,290 of 6,983
I just realized I have ER4XR as well and I found the case laying under my bed and collecting dusk. ER4XR is acutally pretty good IEM for long-term listening outside if you don't mind deep insersion. I probably need to sell some of my gears no longer in use.
For me the ER4XR is as very good match to the dx160. Deep insertion for me is a plus. Shallow insertion feels insecure to me an leaks too much outside sound. I am tempted to buy a ER4SR for lower bass response.

The only downside to the dx160 is it’s very slow startup time. (I use Lurker add-on in mango OS mode) And that is probably not much better with other Android based de dap’s.

Feb 6, 2022 at 5:38 AM Post #6,291 of 6,983
For me the ER4XR is as very good match to the dx160. Deep insertion for me is a plus. Shallow insertion feels insecure to me an leaks too much outside sound. I am tempted to buy a ER4SR for lower bass response.

The only downside to the dx160 is it’s very slow startup time. (I use Lurker add-on in mango OS mode) And that is probably not much better with other Android based de dap’s.
Boot time was quite fast till 1.4 version but from 1.5 and above the loading time became twice longer or at least on my 2019 version.
So this is the question of software optimisation. Seems ibasso when they made newer version soft optimised for 2020 version forgot 2019 version. Ofcourse it is possible to flash anyday to 1.4 but other updates from newer version will be left. Actually i think timeless also good match to ibasso but soon perhaps will try to update to purist rom payed version as i like what free version gives. So it is already long forgotten topic but not going trough this all thread is someone who tried purist advanced rom. As i still feel dx160 from sound perspective is worth to use even these days after two years using and still worth to sueeeze everything from it. Lurker mod mainly the same as official in sound and purist rom even free version gives more clarity and more balanced tuning.

Feb 6, 2022 at 7:20 AM Post #6,292 of 6,983
Boot time was quite fast till 1.4 version but from 1.5 and above the loading time became twice longer or at least on my 2019 version.
So this is the question of software optimisation. Seems ibasso when they made newer version soft optimised for 2020 version forgot 2019 version. Ofcourse it is possible to flash anyday to 1.4 but other updates from newer version will be left. Actually i think timeless also good match to ibasso but soon perhaps will try to update to purist rom payed version as i like what free version gives. So it is already long forgotten topic but not going trough this all thread is someone who tried purist advanced rom. As i still feel dx160 from sound perspective is worth to use even these days after two years using and still worth to sueeeze everything from it. Lurker mod mainly the same as official in sound and purist rom even free version gives more clarity and more balanced tuning.
I agree that boot time is not very good nowadays, and I think the software is probably to blame, but it is probably not because it was optimized for the 2020 version, as they are the same device. The only thing that changed from 2019 version and the 2020 version is:
  • Switched from Sharp screen to (lesser) JDI screen
  • Upgraded buffer (to make up for lesser screen) that has higher slew rate, wider bandwidth, and higher current output
  • Changed the 3.5mm output standard to CTIA (which is more common than OMTP).

Feb 6, 2022 at 7:40 AM Post #6,293 of 6,983
I agree that boot time is not very good nowadays, and I think the software is probably to blame, but it is probably not because it was optimized for the 2020 version, as they are the same device. The only thing that changed from 2019 version and the 2020 version is:
  • Switched from Sharp screen to (lesser) JDI screen
  • Upgraded buffer (to make up for lesser screen) that has higher slew rate, wider bandwidth, and higher current output
  • Changed the 3.5mm output standard to CTIA (which is more common than OMTP).
well perhaps you are right but also seems that 1.5 was released when 2020 came and they had to add some futures and optimisations for this 2020 version as display and other stuff was changed. I am not sure but perhaps 2020 came with 1.5 version stock and if yes then i believe that after 1.5 version came something was added for 2020 version and that added overal longer boot. But i could be wrong as i dont have possibilties to check this (also havent checked this with 2020 version). This is my thoughts as i see clearly longer boot in 1.5 and above versions. Till 1.4 all version with my 2019 was fast booting.

Feb 6, 2022 at 7:54 AM Post #6,294 of 6,983
well perhaps you are right but also seems that 1.5 was released when 2020 came and they had to add some futures and optimisations for this 2020 version as display and other stuff was changed. I am not sure but perhaps 2020 came with 1.5 version stock and if yes then i believe that after 1.5 version came something was added for 2020 version and that added overal longer boot. But i could be wrong as i dont have possibilties to check this (also havent checked this with 2020 version). This is my thoughts as i see clearly longer boot in 1.5 and above versions. Till 1.4 all version with my 2019 was fast booting.
I agree, it is a longer boot time since 1.5, and I also can't test against the 2020 version (2019 here also). Either way, it does indeed seem slower (and uses more battery) since 1.5 FW update. The good news is that it is really easy to downgrade back to 1.4, and while there are a few things different in the FW there isn't anything totally stand-out that I can't live without YMMV.

Also, the boot time is not really relevant to me because I simply keep it on all the time (I use it daily). Its never been totally snappy, but I don't mind this either because I ONLY ever use it for music. Most times it is local only, but I DO occasionally use it for streaming music.

Feb 6, 2022 at 8:16 AM Post #6,295 of 6,983
I agree, it is a longer boot time since 1.5, and I also can't test against the 2020 version (2019 here also). Either way, it does indeed seem slower (and uses more battery) since 1.5 FW update. The good news is that it is really easy to downgrade back to 1.4, and while there are a few things different in the FW there isn't anything totally stand-out that I can't live without YMMV.

Also, the boot time is not really relevant to me because I simply keep it on all the time (I use it daily). Its never been totally snappy, but I don't mind this either because I ONLY ever use it for music. Most times it is local only, but I DO occasionally use it for streaming music.
Yeah thanks ibasso it is so easy to downgrade to 1.4 so it is not a problem for me either. Also i will share my opinion when i get purist rom advanced mod what it will gives compared to orignal version and lurker mod that i have used for long time. :wink: Still good dap for me to want invest in it a little bit. :). Sound wise as a portable dap i always liked dx160 and much pricer newer daps not always gives sound upgrade as to get real upgrade from dx160 need to invest much much bogger amounts

Feb 6, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #6,296 of 6,983
Yeah thanks ibasso it is so easy to downgrade to 1.4 so it is not a problem for me either. Also i will share my opinion when i get purist rom advanced mod what it will gives compared to orignal version and lurker mod that i have used for long time. :wink: Still good dap for me to want invest in it a little bit. :). Sound wise as a portable dap i always liked dx160 and much pricer newer daps not always gives sound upgrade as to get real upgrade from dx160 need to invest much much bogger amounts
Again, I agree. The sound from this little DAP is amazing. Going by that alone, it does indeed punch in higher than its price would suggest. But the hardware issues keep it from being more IMHO.

Feb 6, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #6,297 of 6,983
The newer firmware includes drivers for both screen versions, and also for both touchscreen versions (they are different as well). The new drivers start first. Unlike full Android, pure Mango can't handle touchscreen driver change "on the fly", so I had to implement the boot process to wait for the touchscreen driver full start on 2019 version devices. This causes the delay.

Feb 6, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #6,298 of 6,983
The newer firmware includes drivers for both screen versions, and also for both touchscreen versions (they are different as well). The new drivers start first. Unlike full Android, pure Mango can't handle touchscreen driver change "on the fly", so I had to implement the boot process to wait for the touchscreen driver full start on 2019 version devices. This causes the delay.
Thanks a lot, this gives much answers. Still think this is not a problem for anyone , what is important how it works when it boots and Lurker mod always gave good results there. Will try alternative mod that is more sound related as wanted to have opinion how and if software optimisation and tweaks can give differences to sound. And what is possible to archieve with dx160 hardware. Still not want to spend thousands for upgrades, better squeeze everything from what already have. From ergonomics point lurker mod always was nr.1 for me. So big thanks for it.

Feb 7, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #6,299 of 6,983
I reviewed the Dunu DK-2001 a little while back; I'd say that's the IEM that's most impressed me within that price range.
The sound was fantastic, the cable and design very nice, and they are absolutely tiny; they're the first IEM that I can comfortably wear whilst lying on my side in bed with zero discomfort. Highly recommended.

As I mentioned to you previously, I was hugely impressed by the Fiio FD1 in terms of value. The only thing I felt it lacked was a more expansive soundstage and greater separation. Everything else about it was faultless at that price (and even if it had cost about $100 more).

I currently have the new Fiio FH3 which I should be reviewing in the next couple of weeks (got a bit of a backlog!).
That's around $150 I think, and if the FD1 is anything to go by, then the FH3 promises to offer great sound and outstanding value too.
But let's wait until I've actually heard it lol. Or read other people's reviews and impressions :)
But it uses the same dynamic driver as the FD 1, which sounded really good, plus BA's, so I have high hopes for it :)

However, these are just general recommendations.

What genres of music do you most like to listen to?
And if you know whether you have any sound signature preferences (neutral-reference, audiophile bass-head, warm, organic, musical etc), please let us know those too.
Then we could really give better recommendations :)
Hello , I am new to the forum and hope I am posting in the right place. I like the possibility of the DK2001 for my new DX160 but concerned that it might sound a bit too v shaped and over warm together when paired with the dx160.. Dunu is available where I live, but I cannot generally 'try' IEMs. My other options are hifiman re800 silver or possibly Shure aonic 5. I know it is about personal taste, but thought I check to see if anyone had a view of the overall sound signature paired with my dx160. I am fairly new to the portable hifi world and still learning .
Many thanks and again apologies if I am requesting help in the wrong place.

Feb 8, 2022 at 2:14 AM Post #6,300 of 6,983
Hello , I am new to the forum and hope I am posting in the right place. I like the possibility of the DK2001 for my new DX160 but concerned that it might sound a bit too v shaped and over warm together when paired with the dx160.. Dunu is available where I live, but I cannot generally 'try' IEMs. My other options are hifiman re800 silver or possibly Shure aonic 5. I know it is about personal taste, but thought I check to see if anyone had a view of the overall sound signature paired with my dx160. I am fairly new to the portable hifi world and still learning .
Many thanks and again apologies if I am requesting help in the wrong place.
I have the DK2001, and I don't feel that they are TOO warm or V sounding (to my ears). I prefer lots of clarity normally. Keep in mind that they are not analytical in nature, more of a fun tuning. They ARE on the warm side of neutral, but still have great clarity IMO. I think they sound fantastic with the DX160. Honestly, unless you just hate ANY warmth, you can't go wrong with them. There are a ton of reviews out there. You might read them to decide for yourself if they fit your preferred sound signature because I don't want to lead you down a path that you don't like. But, at this point, I have not read any bad reviews of them, so there is that... :)

But, at this point, I am not sure if the point is moot or not because they have been discontinued for a bit now. Though, I found a store that has 2 sets left here if you are interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back