iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Jul 29, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #5,896 of 6,983
I was eyeing the DX300 a while ago but is still withholding as it is a considerable investment. The one thing i liked about it apart from its sound quality like the DX160 is the outputs. i like the convenience of having both 2.5 and 4.4. Another gripe is the big size. Now all of. sudden, i cannot find my DX160. I admit that it was not really well accompanied recently but it’s disappearance seems like a call to procure the DX300. Were there any other daps that you considered or this is it?

i was looking at the M3X too to save a couple of hundred bucks but am not sure how well it plays with the HD650.
LOL sounds like a sign to me.

It IS an investment, but I have found that the best for the money was the DX160. From all the upgrades I have seen on the DX300, it might be the new value to money ratio king. I wanted to see if the newest family member could take it a step further than the DX160. The other DAPs in the iBasso family use different DAC chips. Not that I don't like others, but I knew having the same chips in them, and everything else fixed (comparing to the DX160), I couldn't really go wrong. And I can tell you, this one has better WiFi and BT than my phone (Samsung Note 9), and is at least as fast (CPU-wise).

I hadn't really even considered upgrading, but saw that people were comparing the DX300 to higher dollar TOTL devices such as the R8, and S2000, etc... I don't want to say I bought it totally blindly, but it kinda' was. Only the fact that I knew it had to be (I'd hoped) similar to the DX160, kept me firm in my decision to buy it. I figured that since the DX160 was such a hit for them, they wouldn't change it THAT much (sound-wise), and I was right.

I can't speak for the HD650, but I have some Hifiman planars which are known to be harder to drive than on paper, and HD700 (which is only 150ohms, so maybe it doesn't count). But I also have some TinHifi P1's, which are known to be very hard to drive even though they don't seem to be. I have also read on the DX300 thread that it can drive the HD800(s) very well. As you know, those are pretty hard to drive. The Amp11MKII puts out about 1.2W @32Ohms, and the Amp12 card even more.... I would say that they can be driven very well (depending on if you like the tuning of the device).

Do keep in mind though, that driving planars is actually a bit harder from portable than DD's are. They require more current, not volts (watts).

In the end one has to ask, can you get a better DAP? Probably not, just different at that level. It is going to depend on what's important to your ears (and what bells and whistles you need). If you want to save money, you might want to check out the R6 family. I don't think there is a more value per dollar DAP out there atm, though I can see that someone will try and outdo iBasso soon.

Maybe it might warrant waiting to see what comes out next? I DO know that iBasso is working on a tube amp card for the DX300, if you are into that sort of thing (I know I will have to have one at some point lol).

Jul 30, 2021 at 12:33 AM Post #5,897 of 6,983
LOL sounds like a sign to me.

It IS an investment, but I have found that the best for the money was the DX160. From all the upgrades I have seen on the DX300, it might be the new value to money ratio king. I wanted to see if the newest family member could take it a step further than the DX160. The other DAPs in the iBasso family use different DAC chips. Not that I don't like others, but I knew having the same chips in them, and everything else fixed (comparing to the DX160), I couldn't really go wrong. And I can tell you, this one has better WiFi and BT than my phone (Samsung Note 9), and is at least as fast (CPU-wise).

I hadn't really even considered upgrading, but saw that people were comparing the DX300 to higher dollar TOTL devices such as the R8, and S2000, etc... I don't want to say I bought it totally blindly, but it kinda' was. Only the fact that I knew it had to be (I'd hoped) similar to the DX160, kept me firm in my decision to buy it. I figured that since the DX160 was such a hit for them, they wouldn't change it THAT much (sound-wise), and I was right.

I can't speak for the HD650, but I have some Hifiman planars which are known to be harder to drive than on paper, and HD700 (which is only 150ohms, so maybe it doesn't count). But I also have some TinHifi P1's, which are known to be very hard to drive even though they don't seem to be. I have also read on the DX300 thread that it can drive the HD800(s) very well. As you know, those are pretty hard to drive. The Amp11MKII puts out about 1.2W @32Ohms, and the Amp12 card even more.... I would say that they can be driven very well (depending on if you like the tuning of the device).

Do keep in mind though, that driving planars is actually a bit harder from portable than DD's are. They require more current, not volts (watts).

In the end one has to ask, can you get a better DAP? Probably not, just different at that level. It is going to depend on what's important to your ears (and what bells and whistles you need). If you want to save money, you might want to check out the R6 family. I don't think there is a more value per dollar DAP out there atm, though I can see that someone will try and outdo iBasso soon.

Maybe it might warrant waiting to see what comes out next? I DO know that iBasso is working on a tube amp card for the DX300, if you are into that sort of thing (I know I will have to have one at some point lol).
Thank you for the detailed feed2back.

Yeah, I actually auditioned the DX300 once with the HD650 on 4.4 and it was very good sonically. Screen is very beautiful and responsive. Apart from the slightly big size and price ceiling, there is nothing not to love

I am still hopeful that my DX160 will return then I can hold for a while more when iBasso announces another new model and I can buy the DX300 at a better steal.

Aug 1, 2021 at 7:30 AM Post #5,898 of 6,983
Finally found my DX160. :beyersmile: I was auditioning for a new DAP for replacement and tried the Shanling M3X and M6 Pro. Still feels that the DX160 is better in SQ.

But I have another problem now. I am on Lurker's addon and while playing some songs the player suddenly frozed. Press and hold on the power button does not do anything. Does anyone have any idea how can I reset it? It's hanged on the Album art screen now. :frowning2:

Aug 1, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #5,903 of 6,983
pressed and hold on the power button but it does not do anything
The device must be disconnected from a power supply when you do it. Another reason can be that you count 10 seconds too quickly. Then try 15 seconds.

Aug 1, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #5,905 of 6,983
It still does not work.
This may be caused by faulty Power button, because this kind of shutdown is implemented in hardware.
Will it help if I just leave it till battery is flat and try charging again?
If course it will turn off. But if your device has a problem with Power button, it would be hard to turn it on again. Just try if the usual method does not work.

Aug 1, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #5,907 of 6,983
Finally found my DX160. :beyersmile: I was auditioning for a new DAP for replacement and tried the Shanling M3X and M6 Pro. Still feels that the DX160 is better in SQ.

But I have another problem now. I am on Lurker's addon and while playing some songs the player suddenly frozed. Press and hold on the power button does not do anything. Does anyone have any idea how can I reset it? It's hanged on the Album art screen now. :frowning2:
Did you buy this new or used? Before the update was the device turning on and off with the power button?

Aug 1, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #5,908 of 6,983
Did you buy this new or used? Before the update was the device turning on and off with the power button?
I bought it new. Misplaced it a couple of weeks ago and found it at the back of the drawer. Upon powering up, there was still 91% battery in it. Switched to Mango OS and played music and suddenly it freezed. It was powering on and off normally prior to this.

Aug 1, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #5,909 of 6,983
I bought it new. Misplaced it a couple of weeks ago and found it at the back of the drawer. Upon powering up, there was still 91% battery in it. Switched to Mango OS and played music and suddenly it freezed. It was powering on and off normally prior to this.
Have you asked the seller for help? When you try and power off, and you hold the power button longer like Lurker mentioned, nothing happens? The screen stays the same?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back