iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
May 16, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #5,716 of 6,983
Can't test neutron as it is not free so before buying could you tell me if neutron supports tidal ?

No Tidal support. No sure about MQA full resolution but still the best player for me.

May 16, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #5,717 of 6,983
I found the complete opposite! The M11 and M11Pro sound sterile and analytical to me. The DX160 has more dynamics and more bass punch.
M11 yes, its is a really bad sounding dap with budget tier dynamics and a very unrefined sound. But, the M11 Pro is an all around improvement compared to the DX160 with noticeably better dynamics and soundstage. It is relatively brighter though so it may not be your cup of tea.

Last edited:
May 16, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #5,718 of 6,983
Hi all, had the DX160 for over 6 months and it has been great. One thing I have been doing recently is running it connect to the PC and using it as a USB DAC connected using the USB-A to USB C cable. But I have been finding that although it is saying it is charging, the battery continues to drain until the unit will shut down when the battery is completely drained.

Is there something wrong with the unit or is there a setting to prevent this from happening? I tried both USB DAC using Mango player and the USB Audio app from the Lurker mod and it happens in both instances.

May 16, 2021 at 10:49 PM Post #5,719 of 6,983
Hi all, had the DX160 for over 6 months and it has been great. One thing I have been doing recently is running it connect to the PC and using it as a USB DAC connected using the USB-A to USB C cable. But I have been finding that although it is saying it is charging, the battery continues to drain until the unit will shut down when the battery is completely drained.

Is there something wrong with the unit or is there a setting to prevent this from happening? I tried both USB DAC using Mango player and the USB Audio app from the Lurker mod and it happens in both instances.
I don't think there is anything wrong with the unit. If you are using a USB type 2 from your PC, then it is only capable of 2.5 Watts for charging. If the DX is in use while you are charging it, it is possible that it is discharging faster than it can charge. Even if you were not using the unit while charging from a PC, I have read it can take upwards of 10 to 12 hours to charge fully from 0. I have not tested this myself for accuracy but can definitively say that it WILL take much longer than normal hooked up to a PC.

May 16, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #5,720 of 6,983
I don't think there is anything wrong with the unit. If you are using a USB type 2 from your PC, then it is only capable of 2.5 Watts for charging. If the DX is in use while you are charging it, it is possible that it is discharging faster than it can charge. Even if you were not using the unit while charging from a PC, I have read it can take upwards of 10 to 12 hours to charge fully from 0. I have not tested this myself for accuracy but can definitively say that it WILL take much longer than normal hooked up to a PC.
Thanks for the reply mate. If I use a USB C to USB C cable from a USB3.1 Type C port from my PC to the DX160 do you know if will charge and also transmit data to work as a USB DAC?

May 16, 2021 at 11:58 PM Post #5,721 of 6,983
Thanks for the reply mate. If I use a USB C to USB C cable from a USB3.1 Type C port from my PC to the DX160 do you know if will charge and also transmit data to work as a USB DAC?
YW! It should be able to work, but keep in mind this still only puts out 4.5 Watts from the 3.1. Make sure it is also a data port. Some PCs have USB C that is charge only. If this is the case you won't be able to use it as a DAC, but it will charge very quickly (comparatively speaking).

May 17, 2021 at 5:00 AM Post #5,722 of 6,983

Is there something wrong with the unit or is there a setting to prevent this from happening? I tried both USB DAC using Mango player and the USB Audio app from the Lurker mod and it happens in both instance
YW! It should be able to work, but keep in mind this still only puts out 4.5 Watts from the 3.1. Make sure it is also a data port. Some PCs have USB C that is charge only. If this is the case you won't be able to use it as a DAC, but it will charge very quickly (comparatively speaking).
I've tested both USB type B and type C ports and they both show this.

20210517_170003.jpg

This confirms that when the DX160 is in DAC mode, charging is halted. Presumably to prevent it from draining your phone battery when it is being used as a DAC.

May 17, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #5,723 of 6,983
I've tested both USB type B and type C ports and they both show this.

20210517_170003.jpg

This confirms that when the DX160 is in DAC mode, charging is halted. Presumably to prevent it from draining your phone battery when it is being used as a DAC.
Thanks all for the comments and info. I had switched to the FiiO BTR3 I had as a fallback DAC solution for when I am at my PC all day and wanted to have the DAC connected all the time (and not run out of juice half way through the day)

Looks like I might have to invest in a proper desktop DAC/AMP or run the DX160 connected to the charger and running DSub to stream my network music share.

May 17, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #5,724 of 6,983
Still hope someone can dive in the fact that we can have magisk after version 20.

I saw some othe Rockchip 3368 devices with Magisk. So it can be possible.

@Lurker0 so if you have some free time to investigate??

Last edited:
May 18, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #5,727 of 6,983
You could try that, or you could install the Lurker mod that gives a lot of nice features, but specifically adds USB audio via the system, rather than per app (basically replaces the standard android USB audio driver). This might rectify the situation as it sounds like your android USB audio driver is corrupted maybe?!

Edit: You can find it HERE if you are interested.
Thanks again for that.

I have factory reset the unit now but still don't get audio via the USB port except for Mango player, so it looks like I have a faulty unit. Thanks for your help.

May 18, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #5,728 of 6,983
Thanks again for that.

I have factory reset the unit now but still don't get audio via the USB port except for Mango player, so it looks like I have a faulty unit. Thanks for your help.
YW!

Maybe you do indeed. I would write CS and ask them about it. Or maybe @Paul - iBasso would like to chime in and give some input on this?!

May 20, 2021 at 7:31 AM Post #5,729 of 6,983
Hello.
I have had for test a beautiful sounding iems Craft Ears Two and Four from https://www.craftears.com/.
The thing is with DX160, CE2 iem has listenable hiss/noise quite often which is not hearable at all with my big amp FluxLab FA12. CE4 as well but much less, almost acceptable but still annoying sometimes.
These iems have very low impedance 9 Ohms, I dont know about sensitivity but probably high.

Is there anything I can do with that? Or just this DAP is not good for low impedance sensitive iems?

May 20, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #5,730 of 6,983
Hello.
I have had for test a beautiful sounding iems Craft Ears Two and Four from https://www.craftears.com/.
The thing is with DX160, CE2 iem has listenable hiss/noise quite often which is not hearable at all with my big amp FluxLab FA12. CE4 as well but much less, almost acceptable but still annoying sometimes.
These iems have very low impedance 9 Ohms, I dont know about sensitivity but probably high.

Is there anything I can do with that? Or just this DAP is not good for low impedance sensitive iems?
I use AudioSense T800 all the time with mine (9ohms @103) and I have a perfectly black background. Maybe a faulty unit? Did you try and turn WiFi and BT off to see if you are getting signal interference? Also do you have the DX sitting near/on something that might cause it? The output impedance of the DX is .3 from SE and .4 from balanced, so sensitive headphones/IEMs shouldn't be a problem for it. Also you could try and turn the gain down to low?!
‎You're totally lazy. Completely forgotten or did not know what a cassette tape recorder. Give you a USB outlet now. Get poked spdi/f or LO and let yourself play.‎
Wackadoo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back