iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
May 15, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #5,701 of 6,983
Quick noob question. Everything was working fine until I installed UAPP. Now the only audio I get out of the USB port is via UAPP. No other apps will output audio over USB. It's like it has 'hijacked' the port. Is this normal behaviour?

I uninstalled UAPP, but whatever it changed is persistent, so I can no longer use the USB port to output audio (unless I reinstall UAPP of course).
Have you tried rebooting the device since you uninstalled UAPP? Also IIRC there is an option in "Developer's Options" that you can turn on/off to allow USB audio (in android). The reason this happened is that UAPP has its own USB audio driver, and yes it DOES hijack the USB port for audio, but it is supposed to be released to the built-in android USB driver when you close the app. This is not typical behavior for UAPP in my experience.

If all else fails you could reset your DX.

May 15, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #5,702 of 6,983
You can find it fatiguing? Interesting. I find it one of the most musical daps I have and the opposite of fatiguing.
I think it's all about the synergy with the paired HP/Iem. I found it slightly warm and musical when I paired it with the Fearless Audio S8F. Whereas with the Fiio FD5 the same dx160's a bit brighter and I too find it a little fatiguing with long term listening. I am yet to try different source pairing with the FD5.

May 15, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #5,703 of 6,983
I think it's all about the synergy with the paired HP/Iem. I found it slightly warm and musical when I paired it with the Fearless Audio S8F. Whereas with the Fiio FD5 the same dx160's a bit brighter and I too find it a little fatiguing with long term listening. I am yet to try different source pairing with the FD5.
It's all subjective of course, but I think the DX160 in comparison to most Fiio DAPs are warmer, and even the treble is more tube-like than the digital treble that most DAPs Fiio offers. In comparison to others, I can't contribute much. As for me though, I do find the DAP to be a bit on the warm side of neutral with everything that I listen to, and have listened to on other players. But for the most part you are right, it does come down to the synergy of the headphone/IEM.

May 15, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #5,704 of 6,983
Have you tried rebooting the device since you uninstalled UAPP? Also IIRC there is an option in "Developer's Options" that you can turn on/off to allow USB audio (in android). The reason this happened is that UAPP has its own USB audio driver, and yes it DOES hijack the USB port for audio, but it is supposed to be released to the built-in android USB driver when you close the app. This is not typical behavior for UAPP in my experience.

If all else fails you could reset your DX.
Thanks, yes I have tried rebooting many times to no avail unfortunately. I did mangage to get audio out via usb back using the Mango player, but nothing out of Qobuz, Tidal or Deeper.

It's actually gutting worse now, with a weird 'clicking' noise about once every second when playing via USB. It looks like I may need to reset :frowning2:

May 15, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #5,705 of 6,983
Thanks, yes I have tried rebooting many times to no avail unfortunately. I did mangage to get audio out via usb back using the Mango player, but nothing out of Qobuz, Tidal or Deeper.

It's actually gutting worse now, with a weird 'clicking' noise about once every second when playing via USB. It looks like I may need to reset :frowning2:
You could try that, or you could install the Lurker mod that gives a lot of nice features, but specifically adds USB audio via the system, rather than per app (basically replaces the standard android USB audio driver). This might rectify the situation as it sounds like your android USB audio driver is corrupted maybe?!

Edit: You can find it HERE if you are interested.

Last edited:
May 16, 2021 at 1:25 AM Post #5,706 of 6,983
It's all subjective of course, but I think the DX160 in comparison to most Fiio DAPs are warmer, and even the treble is more tube-like than the digital treble that most DAPs Fiio offers. In comparison to others, I can't contribute much. As for me though, I do find the DAP to be a bit on the warm side of neutral with everything that I listen to, and have listened to on other players. But for the most part you are right, it does come down to the synergy of the headphone/IEM.
You mean the DX160 is warmer than most Fiio Daps? I have only heard the Fiio X5 MKIII and M11Pro. X5 MKIII is warmer than the dx160. M11pro on the other hand is totally different. It has the Signature AKM Velvet sound and its neutral too with slight warmth. I liked the signature of M11Pro, bass speed is not as a quick as the dx160, which is what I prefer to the genres that I listen to. I prefer warm signature over analytical.

May 16, 2021 at 1:32 AM Post #5,707 of 6,983

You mean the DX160 is warmer than most Fiio Daps? I have only heard the Fiio X5 MKIII and M11Pro. X5 MKIII is warmer than the dx160. M11pro on the other hand is totally different. It has the Signature AKM Velvet sound and its neutral too with slight warmth. I liked the signature of M11Pro, bass speed is not as a quick as the dx160, which is what I prefer to the genres that I listen to. I prefer warm signature over analytical.
Fiio's old daps are warmer, the new ones are brighter. The DX160 is in the middle.

May 16, 2021 at 3:20 AM Post #5,709 of 6,983
I’ve listened to only one new DAP from Fiio and M11pro is not brighter than the dx160 in my experience.
Heres how i would put it, with some other daps for reference. Ranked purely by signature, not sound quality.

Bright -
-
-
- M11
-
- M11 Pro
Neutral - DX220 (AMP 1 MKii), Xduoo X3
- DX 160 / N3 Pro (Ultralinear)
- Cayin N5ii / N3 Pro (triode tube)
-
- FiiO X5iii
- WM1Z(balanced)
Warm -

May 16, 2021 at 3:40 AM Post #5,710 of 6,983
Heres how i would put it, with some other daps for reference. Ranked purely by signature, not sound quality.

Bright -
-
-
- M11
-
- M11 Pro
Neutral - DX220 (AMP 1 MKii), Xduoo X3
- DX 160 / N3 Pro (Ultralinear)
- Cayin N5ii / N3 Pro (triode tube)
-
- FiiO X5iii
- WM1Z(balanced)
Warm -
Excellent visual!

May 16, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #5,711 of 6,983
I’ve listened to only one new DAP from Fiio and M11pro is not brighter than the dx160 in my experience.
I found the complete opposite! The M11 and M11Pro sound sterile and analytical to me. The DX160 has more dynamics and more bass punch.

May 16, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #5,712 of 6,983
Have you tried anything? I have found that it's album dependent. Some won't play at all, and some will. It actually seems that most albums listed as "Master" quality will play, and those that are only "Normal" quality won't. I did do a clear data, but that didn't seem to resolve the issue.

I am using Lurker firmware and the current version of the Tidal app out of the Play Store.
I am now using the Lurker firmware and Tidal is finally working! So much for Paul at Ibasso blaming Tidal.

May 16, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #5,713 of 6,983
Hi everyone,

If anyone has listened to the ibasso DX300, how much of a difference is there in sound quality alone between that DAP and the DX160? Is it a huge difference in sound quality ?

I am coming from the Astell&Kern SP1000M, which I sold and was looking at either the DX300 or the DX160. I don't want a huge drop in sound quality coming from a £2000 DAP, but if I can save some money and still get a high level of sound quality, I will buy the DX160.

If anyone can answer, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

May 16, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #5,715 of 6,983
I just want to point out that Neutron Music player does the direct pass-through and plays the mqa file at full resolution.
Can't test neutron as it is not free so before buying could you tell me if neutron supports tidal ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back