iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Aug 5, 2020 at 1:49 AM Post #4,381 of 6,983
If Sony does some processing to the sound, and Sony loves their processing, ie DSEE HX. You can substantially change the sound by changing how the sound is processed.

And it is well known that how sound is processed also alters the sound of the DAP. Different android music apps sound different. Ibasso used to change the sound of the DX90 every update.

I mentioned in my original post I'm not certain if the current method of changing random xml values in the ZX300 files changes the sound substantially. I understand some are trying to decompile the WM1A firmware and make edits at the code level - that needs to succeed for the ZX300 too to achieve substantial changes/improvements.
Different android music apps sound different because they handle playback at the code level differently, similarly for iBasso's DX90 updates. I am not aware that Sony processing like DSEE HX can be configured through xml changes, though I'm looking forward to developers figuring out code level changes, which could impact DSEE HX and other processing.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2020 at 3:58 AM Post #4,383 of 6,983
Has anybody tried connecting a SSD to their DX160 for playing or transferring music from it?
Going to try it now, I'll let you know.

Edit: Nope

20200805_160328.jpg

Tried it with my Note 9 as well but it also didn't recognise it so I suspect android can't detect NTFS drives.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2020 at 4:23 AM Post #4,384 of 6,983
The DX160 can output to both the 4.4mm and 3.5mm jacks at the same time apparently, really nice if you want to share some tunes with a friend.

Aug 5, 2020 at 6:49 AM Post #4,386 of 6,983
Has anybody tried connecting a SSD to their DX160 for playing or transferring music from it?
No, but I used a USB OTG cable in combination with a Transcend USB3.0 16GB USB thumb drive successfully. However not all my thumb drives works stabally, my Kingston DataTraveler 101 G2 (also 16GB) does is not stable. Who knows of the power is fed separately into the SSD it might work.

Aug 5, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #4,389 of 6,983
@ipaddy my bet is on these two.

A few things:

1) I ran all files in the directory that was the root directory through Similarity. Similarity gave them various ratings, but they all showed as music files.

2) All files were cleared of all tags. No tags.

3) I started seeing intermittent behavior. It would choke on the root directory, but not on any of the four subdirectories. Also, it then would sometimes choke on a sub directory, and sometimes not. And sometimes when it did not choke, I would tell it again to scan, and it would then choke.

This kind of behavior cannot be troubleshot to pinpoint problem files.

Aug 5, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #4,390 of 6,983
It'll probably come down to one or more of the following:
  • Too many files in a single directory
  • A corrupt file causing scanning to barf
  • Corrupt tag or illegal character in a tag
  • ID3 tag that's v2.4. Some devices do not like ID3 v2.4. ID3 v2.3 is older and more widely used.
  • ID3 tag that's using text endoding the device does not like. UTF-16 is generally the best choice with ID2 v2.3.

The root directory that choked had 800. Each of the 4 subdirectories had 200. I made sure that all tags were gone. All blank.

Aug 5, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #4,391 of 6,983
A few things:

1) I ran all files in the directory that was the root directory through Similarity. Similarity gave them various ratings, but they all showed as music files.

2) All files were cleared of all tags. No tags.

3) I started seeing intermittent behavior. It would choke on the root directory, but not on any of the four subdirectories. Also, it then would sometimes choke on a sub directory, and sometimes not. And sometimes when it did not choke, I would tell it again to scan, and it would then choke.

This kind of behavior cannot be troubleshot to pinpoint problem files.
Try avoiding putting any files in the root of the mSD card and put it in a folder, let's say named, music?

Aug 5, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #4,393 of 6,983
How would you compare the Fiio M11 pro to the 2018 A&K SE100. It went around $1,600 at the time.
I cant go into detail as i didnt compare them side by side but one thing i can say for certain is that the M11 Pro will sound more dynamic and bombastic than the SE100. The SE100 is the tamest Sabre dap I've ever heard. It was reminiscent of AKM 4490 based daps.

Aug 5, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #4,395 of 6,983
Hi to DX160 owners. Does Play Market work on stock firmware? I want to install my fav Neutron MP on this device if Im going to get it
Yes it does!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back