iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Aug 1, 2020 at 7:01 AM Post #4,336 of 6,983
Very interesting, I was looking into the Topping D90 (or D50S) myself. My home/office setup uses a Cyrus Soundkey DAC (into A Cyrus 6XP Amp) which is limited to 24-bit/96kHz and lacks DSD and MQA support.

Did you by change compared the Line-out of the DX 160 connected directly into your amp with the Topping D90?

if so, can you tell how they compare?

I'd like my home setup to support the same file format I am using on my DX 160. Until now I have to convert DSD or ISOs to FLAC.
I was using smsl su8 before and would say that it is on par with the LO of dx160. The D90 has a better separation, depth and soundstage. Mids are more forward in the D90. But be minded that i have the the d90 for just 2 days. For me, i would just use the dx160 than buy a d50s as difference is subtle. But i would definitely upgrade upgrade to the d90 if i have a capable amp

Aug 1, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #4,337 of 6,983
I have this same usb hub. May I know how you are doing the connection? Is UAPP a must? I am mostly using Mango or Hiby music player.
Im not sure if the hiby can. I'll try it later. But with the UAPP, as soon as i connect the cable, uapp instantly detects the D90 dac. I might have done something at the DX160's developer settings but i dont actually remember

Aug 1, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #4,338 of 6,983
Just bought the dx160, but it refuses to Scan a few cards I tried. I have 50,000 songs on 400gb and 512gb Sandisk cards. And although it has no trouble scanning the internal memory, it just sits there as 0% when I try to scan either card. At some point it gives up and reverts to another screen . Then I find that some songs have been scanned when I do a search on very common words, but most have not.

It’s on the latest firmware.
I like the sound but I’m ready to return this unit.
Any suggestions before I do so?

I’ve tried resetting completely, and trying smaller subsets of the songs. No go.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #4,339 of 6,983
Just bought the dx160, but it refuses to Scan a few cards I tried. I have 50,000 songs on 400gb and 512gb Sandisk cards. And although it has no trouble scanning the internal memory, it just sits there as 0% when I try to scan either card. At some point it gives up and reverts to another screen . Then I find that some songs have been scanned when I do a search on very common words, but most have not.

I’ve tried resetting completely, and trying smaller subsets of the songs. No go.
I would do a factory reset and also check the cards.

I see you did a factory reset. Still would suspect something on the cards.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #4,340 of 6,983

What filesystem are they formatted in?

Aug 1, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #4,342 of 6,983
Good question.

They work fine in my A&K SR15, which I was trying to move away from since the DX160 sounds better (at least to me), but when I freshly formatted both cards, Ihink it was ex-fat.
I use Exfat. Not a problem in the 160. I remember something in the past the was messing up the scanning for someone and they got rid of the file and it scanned fine but I can't remember what it was.

Aug 1, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #4,343 of 6,983
I use Exfat. Not a problem in the 160. I remember something in the past the was messing up the scanning for someone and they got rid of the file and it scanned fine but I can't remember what it was.
Thanks. Who are “they” and what was gotten rid of? A file on the card or something on the device? Do you remember where you saw the discussion?

Aug 1, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #4,344 of 6,983
Good question.

They work fine in my A&K SR15, which I was trying to move away from since the DX160 sounds better (at least to me), but when I freshly formatted both cards, Ihink it was ex-fat.
exFAT is fine and is the default for cards over, I think, 32GB...something in the way to small size.

One thing I've noticed with media players in general is, if you're using a player that builds a database from tags, metadata needs to be clean. Meaning, outside of the normal artist, album, date, genre, track number and track name, the rest should be verified clean or deleted. I tag almost everything using AllMusic.com as my source and as such there's no weird random characters, but the review for an album goes into the comment tag. Those reviews can be rather wordy and that will make a scan chug along. To solve that, I kill the comment.

Maybe the A&K has a player that can handle something in the tags whereas Mango on the DX160 does not? I'm using UAPP on my 160 and it handles 40,000 tracks, though it does take hours for the initial scan.

Aug 1, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #4,345 of 6,983
exFAT is fine and is the default for cards over, I think, 32GB...something in the way to small size.

One thing I've noticed with media players in general is, if you're using a player that builds a database from tags, metadata needs to be clean. Meaning, outside of the normal artist, album, date, genre, track number and track name, the rest should be verified clean or deleted. I tag almost everything using AllMusic.com as my source and as such there's no weird random characters, but the review for an album goes into the comment tag. Those reviews can be rather wordy and that will make a scan chug along. To solve that, I kill the comment.

Maybe the A&K has a player that can handle something in the tags whereas Mango on the DX160 does not? I'm using UAPP on my 160 and it handles 40,000 tracks, though it does take hours for the initial scan.

Unless AK Dap's have recently changed, my AK 70 and my AK 380 are formatted in Fat 32 as recommended by Astell & Kern where my Sony WM1Z has to be formatted in Ex Fat, are you sure your SD Card in your SR15 has not been formatted in Fat32?

Aug 1, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #4,346 of 6,983

Thanks.

Its interesting. A&K can do a lightning search, even popping up results in real time as I type more letters, even with a new care just inserted.

Maybe there is something in a tag that is causing it to choke. I have a program called SongKong which I use for dupe checking, but it also replaces tags. I think what I will do to test this Henry is to once again do a complete exfat format, completely scrub a small directory and put it on the card, and see.

for a large collection, does it proceed linearly, going up a percentage every x amount of time?

Aug 1, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #4,347 of 6,983
Unless AK Dap's have recently changed, my AK 70 and my AK 380 are formatted in Fat 32 as recommended by Astell & Kern where my Sony WM1Z has to be formatted in Ex Fat, are you sure your SD Card in your SR15 has not been formatted in Fat32?

Clearly, I need to recheck when I get back home. Thanks to all of you, I have some steps to check.

Aug 1, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #4,348 of 6,983
for a large collection, does it proceed linearly, going up a percentage every x amount of time?
That is basically how it works. I use 512 and 1tb cards. A 1 tb takes a little over 10 minutes.

Aug 1, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #4,349 of 6,983
Im not sure if the hiby can. I'll try it later. But with the UAPP, as soon as i connect the cable, uapp instantly detects the D90 dac. I might have done something at the DX160's developer settings but i dont actually remember

What cable are you connecting your DX160 to your D90? 3.5mm to RCA?

Just curious, may I know what format and bit rate are you using for your music files to have 40k tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back