iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Oct 30, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #992 of 6,983
Today I watched a review saying that streaming apps when WiFi on cause significant hiss, especially when you touch the screen while an app active. This is unacceptable for me as a Tidal user.

Oct 30, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #993 of 6,983
Today I watched a review saying that streaming apps when WiFi on cause significant hiss, especially when you touch the screen while an app active. This is unacceptable for me as a Tidal user.
Don't know what review but not true. I listen using wifi and get excellent sound. No hiss, touching screen or not. So who ever did the review needs to check out something besides the DX160 or have the 160 looked at. Enjoying it right now about 30 feet from the router and it sounds as good or better than my SD card.

Most likely needed to change channels on the WiFi or some type of interference.

BTW I am moving totally to Amazon Music as the sound is better than Tidal MQA and a huge selection. Dynamics and separation for me, are better on Amazon. Hope Amazon get the Ultra HD figured out for portable players but to be honest, HD sounds superb.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #995 of 6,983
Had my DX160 a couple of days. Unlike many who are familiar with iBasso DAPs I have migrated 'upwards' from the FiiO M9. The M9 is a great little dap, exceptionally functional, but with one problem....it is slow. Very slow. So very early thoughts. The M9 is sonically as clear as the DX160, but a little leaner in it's sound presentation. In comparison to the M9 there is clearly more bass and the general sound of the DX160 is way more 'holographic'. It occupies a bigger and much more substantial stage than the M9. A tad warmer than the FiiO but crystal clear. The screen is excellent on the iBasso and is quite bright even at lower settings. Battery life is OK for me, because I'm home most of the time and near a charger. For those on the go a lot the battery life, I suspect with the present firmware, does not look great. Using both Spotify and Amazon HD is a doddle and Amazon Ultra HD sounds way better than Spotify 320 Oggs, but it's hard to know the factual bitrate. The DX160 is beautifully crafted and a good size but the FiiO was easier to carry around. I have been using the balanced output with the Blon 03 IEM and the single ended with the Rose Masya Mk 2 Pro buds and they both sound exceptional on the DX160. Couldn't be happier with the sound quality. So far I am clear that it is a definite upgrade. When I have the confidence I will upgrade the firmware to Lurker's firmware. Does that firmware make a difference to the battery life? In fact besides Google Play what difference does it make?

Does Aptx-HD work on the DX160?

One anomaly is that I had to re-install Amazon HD because clicking on a track in my playlist would play the previous song. It's OK on re-install. Weird. Can't be the iBasso can it? The Amazon app seems to need a lot of work.

Oct 30, 2019 at 7:51 PM Post #996 of 6,983
I have been using my computer as the source then to my DX160 but why? I am using the DX160 with the Amazon music App and the sound is so good and so easy. Crazy, listening right now with the Focal Utopia in balanced, super fun! Nice separation, dynamics staging. I think walking around, I will use my phone as a hot spot to my 160 and that will cover many areas.

Oct 30, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #997 of 6,983
Had my DX160 a couple of days. Unlike many who are familiar with iBasso DAPs I have migrated 'upwards' from the FiiO M9. The M9 is a great little dap, exceptionally functional, but with one problem....it is slow. Very slow. So very early thoughts. The M9 is sonically as clear as the DX160, but a little leaner in it's sound presentation. In comparison to the M9 there is clearly more bass and the general sound of the DX160 is way more 'holographic'. It occupies a bigger and much more substantial stage than the M9. A tad warmer than the FiiO but crystal clear. The screen is excellent on the iBasso and is quite bright even at lower settings. Battery life is OK for me, because I'm home most of the time and near a charger. For those on the go a lot the battery life, I suspect with the present firmware, does not look great. Using both Spotify and Amazon HD is a doddle and Amazon Ultra HD sounds way better than Spotify 320 Oggs, but it's hard to know the factual bitrate. The DX160 is beautifully crafted and a good size but the FiiO was easier to carry around. I have been using the balanced output with the Blon 03 IEM and the single ended with the Rose Masya Mk 2 Pro buds and they both sound exceptional on the DX160. Couldn't be happier with the sound quality. So far I am clear that it is a definite upgrade. When I have the confidence I will upgrade the firmware to Lurker's firmware. Does that firmware make a difference to the battery life? In fact besides Google Play what difference does it make?

Does Aptx-HD work on the DX160?

One anomaly is that I had to re-install Amazon HD because clicking on a track in my playlist would play the previous song. It's OK on re-install. Weird. Can't be the iBasso can it? The Amazon app seems to need a lot of work.
The Amazon app needs some work and a few of us have contacted them about playing Ultra HD (though HD sounds great) and a few other things but in general, I am enjoying it a lot.

Oct 30, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #998 of 6,983

Can you share the link? Obviously, wifi has to be on when streaming :), and I have been using Qobuz for streaming and never experienced such problem. So, I'm curious if you can share the link with this issue.

Oct 30, 2019 at 9:14 PM Post #999 of 6,983
dx160 screenshot.jpeg

Done !

Oct 30, 2019 at 11:11 PM Post #1,000 of 6,983
A question for DX160 users, how is Bluetooth performance with your wireless headphones? How far can you step away from the DAP with your headphones (in open space)? Also, can you control (remotely) from your headphones volume up/down, skip track, and play/pause?

Oct 30, 2019 at 11:16 PM Post #1,001 of 6,983
I am seeing some discussion on Amazon HD here and it seems it works, at least with streaming. Can it also download music to the unit? Can anybody download Amazon HD music files for local playback yet? I am really starting to like that service and finding a portable DAP that can use the download function is rapidly becoming a key feature for me when I purchase any new units.

Oct 30, 2019 at 11:55 PM Post #1,002 of 6,983
A question for DX160 users, how is Bluetooth performance with your wireless headphones? How far can you step away from the DAP with your headphones (in open space)? Also, can you control (remotely) from your headphones volume up/down, skip track, and play/pause?
Without walls I can get 30 to 40 feet. With the Sony headphones and LDAC it sounds very good. I can control the DX160 with the headphones for volume, pause, forward and back and pause.

Oct 31, 2019 at 12:26 AM Post #1,003 of 6,983
Without walls I can get 30 to 40 feet. With the Sony headphones and LDAC it sounds very good. I can control the DX160 with the headphones for volume, pause, forward and back and pause.

Hmm, that's strange. With my DX160 unit and Sennheiser Momentum 2 wireless and B&W P7 Wireless, I can't get more than 17-18 feet away in open space. Usually I'm getting 40-50 feet with these headphones. Also, volume up/down and track skip forward/back works, but not play/pause with these headphones.

... makes me wonder if BT antenna is loose in my unit.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 1:49 AM Post #1,005 of 6,983
Bluetooth for me is a stuttering mess, that disconnects constantly on this thing. I might be disconnecting from it, too bad too because it sounds good.
Have you tried enabling developer options and then going into the BT codecs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back