iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Oct 28, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #916 of 6,998
I agree, people shouldn't be stressing out too much about these digital DAC filters, and quite often the effect is very subtle, usually around the bass area (but it varies from DAC to DAC). It has been a topic of many arguments in the past since some people don't hear the effect. As it was mentioned already, this is not something iBasso or other manufacturers come up with, it's part of the DAC design and manufacturers just offering the access to it.

Yes you really have to listen closely to hear the effect, it's very subtle but there. But it really doesn't change the overall sound signature

Oct 28, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #917 of 6,998
Would you choose this over the Hiby R5 ? I believe the Hiby as longer battery life and faster processor/gui ?

I don't know lol, I'm just checking it out. Curiosity you know :wink: If anything maybe a bit more screen for my aging eyes. But just curious about the tonality differences and general user experience. Mostly curiosity.

R5 is pretty awesome. I don't have 160 yet, so I can't really say anything. But the UI does look pretty smooth. No doubt the soc is better on R5.

I'll do a quick comparison when I get dx160, unless it has some major snafu you probably can't go wrong with either one.

Actually lately I'm holding stuff WAY out to be able to read it- a sure sign of myopia. Mother nature and father time March on and the crystalline lens in your eye basically loses some flexibility and you can't focus on close stuff.

I love small daps, but the text and screens are usually small too. So maybe dx160 will be a little more legible for me?

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #920 of 6,998
About 6 hrs of listening. Tidal and flac files. The dx160 seems very good. I will be surprised if it gets bashed any by reviewers.

Told ya! :wink:

Oct 28, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #921 of 6,998
About 6 hrs of listening. Tidal and flac files. The dx160 seems very good. I will be surprised if it gets bashed any by reviewers.

After at least a week of using this as my main DAP, all I can say is that I can't really find a fault with it. Its value proposition is outstanding and there isn't anything that I know of that can perform equally (in terms of sound quality and matchability) for $400. It's even going to result in me retiring the DX157 and Plenue 2. The Plenue 2 upon its release was over $1,000 USD. While the P2 may still be a better choice for someone who wants an 'energetic', slightly edgy presentation, it's not the 'all rounder' the DX160 is.

Detailed, laser-focused, and pleasing is how I'd describe the 160. It peers deep into the recording and resolves low level detail without offending. It's not euphonic, or very colored like the SR15. But it is smooth, warm, and even more linear without the slower attack and midbass bloom the SR15 has.

It is precisely the smoothness and slight warmth that puzzles me. Normally, I'd expect detail retrieval to take a step back, but that's not the case with DX160. Ibasso has hit this one out of the park.

Oct 28, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #922 of 6,998
iBasso has hit this one out of the park.

Lol, I'm in the middle of writing my own review of the DX160 and I've used that exact same phrase already :D

Enjoyed your impressions; you should write a full review too; you describe things really professionally :)

Oct 28, 2019 at 8:04 PM Post #925 of 6,998
So The Dx160 has a warmer sound signature? It's similar to the Fiio x5 III?
No. It's close reference neutral with just a touch of warmth akin to the Cayin N5ii. The X5iii was just straight up warm and can also be considered a little dark sounding.

Oct 28, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #926 of 6,998
No. It's close reference neutral with just a touch of warmth akin to the Cayin N5ii. The X5iii was just straight up warm and can also be considered a little dark sounding.

I consider it to be "the hiss monster" :D

Oct 28, 2019 at 10:24 PM Post #927 of 6,998
I consider it to be "the hiss monster"

kind of a more aggressive lower treble and very fat sounding low end - decent, but not great resolution. I owned X5iii for about half a year shortly after it was released. Luckily, the Angie didn't hiss with it (or if it did, it wasn't noticeable). But my CA Jupiter was like a white noise machine on it!

Oct 29, 2019 at 1:17 AM Post #928 of 6,998
Help please folks: new to iBasso and just got the DX160. Currently own the Sony WM1A and was looking for something smaller and with a better screen/something I can actually see! Having a few issues and would appreciate some guidance:

1. Can't get the Micro SD card to stay in - i can seem to get it to engage - is there a special way to do this?
2. in Mac OSX - does not show up as external storage, will only charge. Do I need Android Transfer or something else for it to work as external storage or USB-DAC?

Can't find any decent kind of manual for help anywhere. Thanks in advance of your wisdom.

Oct 29, 2019 at 2:22 AM Post #929 of 6,998
Help please folks: new to iBasso and just got the DX160. Currently own the Sony WM1A and was looking for something smaller and with a better screen/something I can actually see! Having a few issues and would appreciate some guidance:

1. Can't get the Micro SD card to stay in - i can seem to get it to engage - is there a special way to do this?
2. in Mac OSX - does not show up as external storage, will only charge. Do I need Android Transfer or something else for it to work as external storage or USB-DAC?

Can't find any decent kind of manual for help anywhere. Thanks in advance of your wisdom.
1. I would guess it has a push lock mechanism like the WM1A. Try pushing in the mSD card with your nails or a set of pliers until you feel a click which would indicate the lock spring has engaged.
2. I would guess you have to install the Android file transfer to enable the transfer of files between your mac and the DX160.

When you have it up and running, I would really appreciate a short sound comparison if possible.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back