iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Apr 14, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #6,826 of 6,991
Well, I did it: After I installed the Windows program "ADBAppControl" and made the appropriate settings on the DX160 according to the instructions on the homepage, I now have access to blocked apps. Since I don't use and need things like Google Play /Playstore, apps running unnecessarily in the background (Easter Egg, Mango Player, Chrome Browser), I was able to delete these apps without root. The program warns of problems when deleting, but if there are problems at the start, it is quite easy to get to the running system via the recovery console of the factory settings and test again what is possible. Since not so many apps are running in the background anymore, I expect a longer runtime and fewer delays. I'll keep an eye on it for now, but it looks promising.
IRRC Google services are what chews the most of the battery (besides the OS itself), though those are a bit more tricky to ferret out (the correct ones to get rid of). Both Google Chrome and Mango don't shouldn't use any battery if you never open them; they don't normally run the background.

Apr 15, 2023 at 8:26 AM Post #6,827 of 6,991
While you can disable unused apps and system apps on the DX160, it's still only visual. If you have deactivated an app, then delete the cache and memory, then the memory (cache and memory used) should be zero when you later call up the app list. But this is only the case if the app were really inactive. Only if the app says "Not installed for users" behind it is it really inactive.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #6,828 of 6,991
Recent purchaser of (a second-hand) DX300 here. Can someone please help me figure out how to find the AMP module installed in the DAP? Is there a way to check it without opening it up? If I have to open it up, what kind of screwdriver would I need?

Apr 16, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #6,829 of 6,991
Recent purchaser of (a second-hand) DX300 here. Can someone please help me figure out how to find the AMP module installed in the DAP? Is there a way to check it without opening it up? If I have to open it up, what kind of screwdriver would I need?
You can go to the ibasso site on the web and then to the DX300 and download the User Manual.

Apr 16, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #6,830 of 6,991
You can go to the ibasso site on the web and then to the DX300 and download the User Manual.
Thank you.

PS: I see that I have posted in the wrong thread. Apologies.

Apr 16, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #6,831 of 6,991
If you are wanting to know if you have the Amp11.1 (Amp11 MKI) or the Amp11.2 (Amp11 MKII), you won't be able to tell from looking at the outside of the unit. You will need to remove the small screws in order to slide the amp card out. On the PCB there is printed what version it is. In order to do this, you will need a T3 torx bit.

Apr 16, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #6,832 of 6,991
If you are wanting to know if you have the Amp11.1 (Amp11 MKI) or the Amp11.2 (Amp11 MKII), you won't be able to tell from looking at the outside of the unit. You will need to remove the small screws in order to slide the amp card out. On the PCB there is printed what version it is. In order to do this, you will need a T3 torx bit.
Thank you. I tried to find it without opening it up but just wanted the confirmation.
By the way, do you find the sound signature of dx300 smoother than dx160? I tried both in NOS mode and feel as if DX160 is more detailed to my ears. Maybe it has to do with the amp installed in the dx300 I have. I can see the appeal, but I am still not used to it yet and prefer the dx160 so far.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #6,833 of 6,991
Thank you. I tried to find it without opening it up but just wanted the confirmation.
By the way, do you find the sound signature of dx300 smoother than dx160? I tried both in NOS mode and feel as if DX160 is more detailed to my ears. Maybe it has to do with the amp installed in the dx300 I have. I can see the appeal, but I am still not used to it yet and prefer the dx160 so far.
I DO find the DX160 a bit more analytical in its presentation, but if you have the Amp11.1 then it might seem even more exaggerated because that card was known to be very smooth and laid back sounding. If you have the Amp11.2 then it is a closer comparison IMHO. While the Amp11.2 doesn't sound quite as SS (if you will), it is more neutral than the DX160 overall. Amp12 is a lot like the DX160 in its overall signature (to my ears), and Amp13 is much warmer and smooth, yet also very clear.

Apr 16, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #6,834 of 6,991
I DO find the DX160 a bit more analytical in its presentation, but if you have the Amp11.1 then it might seem even more exaggerated because that card was known to be very smooth and laid back sounding. If you have the Amp11.2 then it is a closer comparison IMHO. While the Amp11.2 doesn't sound quite as SS (if you will), it is more neutral than the DX160 overall. Amp12 is a lot like the DX160 in its overall signature (to my ears), and Amp13 is much warmer and smooth, yet also very clear.
Makes sense. I was told that the amp in this unit is 11.2 but I wonder if it might be the original 11.1. I'll have to open it up to know for sure. Do you know how low the amp12 went for?

Apr 16, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #6,835 of 6,991
Makes sense. I was told that the amp in this unit is 11.2 but I wonder if it might be the original 11.1. I'll have to open it up to know for sure. Do you know how low the amp12 went for?
https://www.amazon.com/iBasso-AMP12-Discrete-Balanced-Amplifier/dp/B09777MN5T?th=1

Comes with the small Torx driver that you need, and a case for the amp, and a leather case for the DX300/DX320. Keep in mind though, that it is 4.4mm balanced ONLY, where Amp11.2 has all three connectors. :)

Apr 16, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #6,836 of 6,991
Apr 16, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #6,837 of 6,991
I prefer 4.4 mm. Has anyone told you that you are a bad influence?
Only a time or two... LOL

I also prefer 4.4mm, and one of the other reasons I love this card is that it will drive any head gear you can throw at it (@ over 2W). I have a set of 600ohms @91dBSPL/mW sensitivity that I find zero reason to have a (secondary) desktop setup. For me the DX300 has been an AIO device. I still use the DX160 almost daily also though. Together they cover everything that I ever really need.

Also, because of the dual battery design, it allows for higher amperes (over 2A), which means that it can also drive just about any planar setup very well.

Anyhow, you now have me curious to know what card came with your device?! With the Amp11.2 card in it, many have said that the DX300 is like the DX160 on steroids. :wink:

Apr 16, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #6,838 of 6,991
Only a time or two... LOL

I also prefer 4.4mm, and one of the other reasons I love this card is that it will drive any head gear you can throw at it (@ over 2W). I have a set of 600ohms @91dBSPL/mW sensitivity that I find zero reason to have a (secondary) desktop setup. For me the DX300 has been an AIO device. I still use the DX160 almost daily also though. Together they cover everything that I ever really need.

Also, because of the dual battery design, it allows for higher amperes (over 2A), which means that it can also drive just about any planar setup very well.

Anyhow, you now have me curious to know what card came with your device?! With the Amp11.2 card in it, many have said that the DX300 is like the DX160 on steroids. :wink:
I only received it yesterday and did not do a detailed A/B comparison. I threw in a couple of songs and compared passages that I'm well aware of. As of now, I cannot comment on that claim since I'm not even sure which amp version I have. From what I heard, dx300 (whichever amp 11 version I have) has more note weight (bass and vocals) and is not as analytical as dx160. I did not check soundstage closely yet but I am usually not that bothered by the width of soundstage.

Edit: Yes, I was going through the spec sheet and notice that amp 12 seems to have more power out of both ports compared to amp 11. Not sure how many cans need that extra little oomph, but I guess it is nice to have it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back