iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Oct 31, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #1,036 of 6,983
Pic of size comparison with R5.

20191031_083605.jpg

Oct 31, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #1,037 of 6,983
Yeah it’s amazing how quickly we feel ‘entitled’ to features from a new device. Everything in this market is relative. I think iBasso have delivered a good value, high performance dap here, but there are going to be rough edges (it’s iBasso, no Astell&Kern), and there are going to be compromises made to squeeze it into the price bracket. As a previous M9 owner myself I had issues with its illogical BT volume, for example, which has to be set at max just to eek out respectable volume at the receiver end. And it was too slow to run any of the larger apps with any fluidity. But for the cost it was good, just as for the cost the DX160 is good. Want a bit more? Look up :wink:

Seriously 'entitled' to have a fully functional dap? Why the nerve.

Oct 31, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #1,039 of 6,983
Ok guys I have Rush playing and I was listening to blueteck on mango and it just started playing. And its playing on viper ??

Wth I swear I didn't hit anything

20191031_084520.jpg

Oct 31, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #1,043 of 6,983
Just sayin’, name me one ‘perfect’ $400 dap... all depends what you’re after, and how much you’re willing to pay to get it.
Zx300A!

Oct 31, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #1,044 of 6,983
Yeah it’s amazing how quickly we feel ‘entitled’ to features from a new device. Everything in this market is relative. I think iBasso have delivered a good value, high performance dap here, but there are going to be rough edges (it’s iBasso, no Astell&Kern), and there are going to be compromises made to squeeze it into the price bracket. As a previous M9 owner myself I had issues with its illogical BT volume, for example, which has to be set at max just to eek out respectable volume at the receiver end. And it was too slow to run any of the larger apps with any fluidity. But for the cost it was good, just as for the cost the DX160 is good. Want a bit more? Look up :wink:

'Entitled'..... Wow.

Oct 31, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #1,045 of 6,983
Just sayin’, name me one ‘perfect’ $400 dap... all depends what you’re after, and how much you’re willing to pay to get it.

No perfect dap, but m11 and R5 are better 'all around performers'. As things stand now. And they don't sound half bad either:wink:

Oh and you can thank AK for this mindset that if it's not a 2000 dollar dap you've got to expect shortcomings. A reviewer told me that very thing the other day. Like how the hell did we get to that mindset?

I bet if I volume matched all the mid range and 'flagship' and used the same iems and files and blindfolded people they couldn't reliably pick the 2000/3000 dollar dap from the 400 dollar one.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #1,046 of 6,983
Anyways hopefully the battery life gets a bit better and the bluetooth gets sorted. I'm probably keeping this because it sounds good and the bigger screen is a godsend on my aging eyes.

If a 'normal person lol' asked me to recommend a dap in this price range it wouldn't be this one.....

However, the sound is more expansive than both m11 and r5 and I think it's a bit better developed all the way around. I even think I personally like the tonality better than the dx220. So I do think this is the best sounding dap in the 'mid range' bracket. Although I haven't tried the m6.

And I do like the design. If I didn't have ap80 for car and bt use I probably would return it.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #1,047 of 6,983
The M11 Pro is noticeably warmer.

It has more body and power behind the sound but clarity and micro details take a slight hit. Still pretty good though.

The M11 Pro gives the impression that it has a wider soundstage while the DX160 has a more transparent one.
Thanks for that. Makes me wonder if the M11 Pro might be more to my taste - I prefer a slightly rich sound, as long as it doesn't have a negative impact on PRAT. Do you prefer the dx160 to the M11 Pro? Or one of your existing Daps to either?

Oct 31, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #1,048 of 6,983
Is there a way to resume to a point in a song in mango instead of the beginning of the song? And I wish there were options for changing the colour scheme on the UI in mango.

Oct 31, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #1,050 of 6,983
Thanks for that. Makes me wonder if the M11 Pro might be more to my taste - I prefer a slightly rich sound, as long as it doesn't have a negative impact on PRAT. Do you prefer the dx160 to the M11 Pro? Or one of your existing Daps to either?
Both are really good sounding. I have to say that it's the first warm sounding dap that I enjoyed at a reasonable price point.

Given a choice between the sound of the DX160 and the M11 Pro I wouldn't mind either.

HOWEVER, the DX160 remains my choice because of its more compact size. The M11 Pro is just too big for everyday carry. My Samsung Note is big enough :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back