iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Oct 29, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #946 of 6,983
I have full size headphones and IEMs as well. The IEMs I have are, Pinnacle P1, iBasso IT01, BGVP DMG and a few other as well. They are more or less as expensive as my full size headphones. None of the IEMs come close to the detail, soundstage, instrument separation, layering and tonality that the full size headphones have.

So I’m wondering which IEMs could easily out do full size headphones? Isolation I could still probably understand (not when the ANC comes into the picture though).
Those are all good but fairly entry-level (budget is a horrible word) IEMs. Step up to something like a FiiO FH5 ($250) or FH7 ($450), or an iBasso IT04, and I guarantee they'll be sounding at least as good if not better than your headphones (assuming your headphones are around the same price as your IEMs) in every way but possibly image size. And those are all still considered 'mid-tier' IEMs.

Oct 29, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #947 of 6,983
It appears to me that Dx160 does not have optical out, and Coaxial out can not do DOP65 like how Dx220 and Dx200 can do.
Doesn't that depend on your DAC? I mean coax out is just a digital stream. If you're streaming DSD, and your DAC can accept DSD/DoP streams over COAX, won't it work?

Oct 29, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #948 of 6,983
Those are all good but fairly entry-level (budget is a horrible word) IEMs. Step up to something like a FiiO FH5 ($250) or FH7 ($450), or an iBasso IT04, and I guarantee they'll be sounding at least as good if not better than your headphones (assuming your headphones are around the same price as your IEMs) in every way but possibly image size. And those are all still considered 'mid-tier' IEMs.

I have heard them. Sound impressions can be subjective though.
I still really want to know which 30$ IEM outdoes a 300$ full size headphone though

Oct 29, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #949 of 6,983
Doesn't that depend on your DAC? I mean coax out is just a digital stream. If you're streaming DSD, and your DAC can accept DSD/DoP streams over COAX, won't it work?

yeah, in that case that is true. However, as I already mentioned, I tested dx200/220 and dx160 on the same DAC, and the dx160 doesn’t appear to be able to output DOP 64x the way the big brothers do

Oct 29, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #950 of 6,983
I have heard them. Sound impressions can be subjective though.
I still really want to know which 30$ IEM outdoes a 300$ full size headphone though
I don't think any $30 will go toe to toe with a $300 headphone, but some aspects of cheaper IEMs will...the Blon BL03 is one example. Probably more accurate to say that you can get sub-$100 IEMs nowadays that won't leave you wanting, even with $300 headphones. the point I was trying to make, though, is that I feel DAPs are best suited to IEMs - obviously the better the IEM the better the experience. I honestly don't think the amps in portable devices are made to power full-size headphones, at least not the really good ones (with some exceptions of course - Empyrean and some of the recent Audeze headphones have been designed to work with portable devices, though even they benefit more from a full size amp).

Oct 29, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #953 of 6,983
I don't think any $30 will go toe to toe with a $300 headphone, but some aspects of cheaper IEMs will...the Blon BL03 is one example. Probably more accurate to say that you can get sub-$100 IEMs nowadays that won't leave you wanting, even with $300 headphones. the point I was trying to make, though, is that I feel DAPs are best suited to IEMs - obviously the better the IEM the better the experience. I honestly don't think the amps in portable devices are made to power full-size headphones, at least not the really good ones (with some exceptions of course - Empyrean and some of the recent Audeze headphones have been designed to work with portable devices, though even they benefit more from a full size amp).

Thought so.
Every sub 100$ IEM or even sub 400$ IEMs will have some shortcoming or the other. So in my opinion it is a little unfair to say that new IEMs will blow out the headphones.
No matter how advanced the technology is, physics has limitations.

No manufactures makes their DAP specifically for IEMs. If that was the case, the output impedance would be less in each player to provide a hiss free background. The idea is to make the player versatile, hence the increased power and demand for it at the forums as well. And the manufactures understand that. Replaceable amp modules with higher power? That is done for giving more power to harder to drive headphones.

Oct 29, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #954 of 6,983
It appears to me that Dx160 does not have optical out, and Coaxial out can not do DOP65 like how Dx220 and Dx200 can do.
The DX160 will do DoP over coax.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Oct 29, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #956 of 6,983
Oct 29, 2019 at 11:32 PM Post #958 of 6,983
Oct 30, 2019 at 12:30 AM Post #959 of 6,983
output impedance would be less in each player to provide a hiss free background

actual higher output impedance lowers audible noise floor (ref Hiby R6). assuming a near-zero output impedance, lower power and higher SNR are what yield a hiss-free player.

Oct 30, 2019 at 12:37 AM Post #960 of 6,983
actual higher output impedance lowers audible noise floor (ref Hiby R6). assuming a near-zero output impedance, lower power and higher SNR are what yield a hiss-free player.
The DX160 is 0.3 ohms for the single ended and 0.4 ohms balanced. It also has good power output and SNR that is 129 to 130.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back