iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Oct 29, 2019 at 4:49 AM Post #931 of 6,983
Oct 29, 2019 at 5:04 AM Post #932 of 6,983
@Paul - iBasso since there is no official product page for DX160 on the website, what is the output impedance of both balanced and SE of DX160?

Oct 29, 2019 at 5:23 AM Post #933 of 6,983
Oct 29, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #934 of 6,983
Help please folks: new to iBasso and just got the DX160. Currently own the Sony WM1A and was looking for something smaller and with a better screen/something I can actually see! Having a few issues and would appreciate some guidance:

1. Can't get the Micro SD card to stay in - i can seem to get it to engage - is there a special way to do this?
2. in Mac OSX - does not show up as external storage, will only charge. Do I need Android Transfer or something else for it to work as external storage or USB-DAC?

Can't find any decent kind of manual for help anywhere. Thanks in advance of your wisdom.

1-Regarding the computer not recognizing your DX160 - I encountered this with my DX220 and suspect it might be the same or similar here. Try going to the USB connections icon (swipe down from the top on DX220) and ensure that it is set to Transfer files instead of Charge this device. See if that works here. So no special drivers needed for the DX220 to be recognized.
2- Use something small like the end of a pen to push the sd card in.

Oct 29, 2019 at 7:15 AM Post #937 of 6,983
I use DX160 with Audiosense T800, which is an IEM with 9.2 ohm impedance and 90db sensitivity and they don't hiss at all at high gain in every output.
I have no problems with hissing lol

I was just asking about the product page :p

Besides, I don't think you can pick up hiss on a 90db sensitivity IEM.

Oct 29, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #939 of 6,983
On a different note. Ive never owned IEM's. Do they sound a lot different than full size. headphones when using a dap.
Wow, I've never actually thought of primarily using full size headphones with a DAP. For me a DAP is MADE for IEMs, and vice versa. Full size headphones are far better served by full size desktop amps, although moderns DAPs like the DX160 have enough power to drive full size headphones (especially sensitive ones) convincingly. The whole point of a DAP (for me) is portability, something that's not very practical with full size headphones. Of course YMMV - I'm just speaking for myself here.

As for differences between full size and IEMs - it's a whole new rabbit hole, a whole new world. IEMs are are different from full size headphones as headphones are as different from speakers. Each have their strengths and weaknesses, and each can do something better than the other. There are FAR more choices when it comes to IEMs across a far larger budget range, from $30 to $3000, and even a $30 modern IEM will be doing things that $300 full size headphones can't. For example, the detail and isolation of a good IEM are unrivalled. A word of warning: once you start venturing into IEMs and realise what's possible, it's a long and expensive road, so be sure you want to go that way before taking the first step...

Oct 29, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #940 of 6,983
^ Its a hassle to mess around with a laptop while sitting on the couch. . I liked my fiio x5 dap but it didn't have the option of playing Tidal. ( I run Tidal and flac files > laptop> dragonfly red> Focal Clears and Hifiman ED X.) Im not so sure this is a better sound than the Dx160 > full size headphones.
i might retire my laptop, Violectric amp and dragon fly red.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #941 of 6,983
^ Its a hassle to mess around with a laptop while sitting on the couch. . I liked my fiio x5 dap but it didn't have the option of playing Tidal. ( I run Tidal and flac files > laptop> dragonfly red> Focal Clears and Hifiman ED X.) Im not so sure this is a better sound than the Dx160 > full size headphones.
i might retire my laptop, Violectric amp and dragon fly red.

I have thought about selling my Wells Audio Milo and Metrum Dac as I only listen to portable now.

Oct 29, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #942 of 6,983
I have thought about selling my Wells Audio Milo and Metrum Dac as I only listen to portable now.
I do find I'm listening more and more to the portable rig, which is why I'll likely get a TOTL IEM soon enough. But having said that, no matter how good your portable setup, It'll never quite match the sound quality and 'heft' of a properly amped desktop setup and full size headphones. For that reason alone I'll never sell my desktop rig, because when I want the very best when it comes to SQ, that's what I use.

Oct 29, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #943 of 6,983
iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Oct 29, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #944 of 6,983
Wow, I've never actually thought of primarily using full size headphones with a DAP. For me a DAP is MADE for IEMs, and vice versa. Full size headphones are far better served by full size desktop amps, although moderns DAPs like the DX160 have enough power to drive full size headphones (especially sensitive ones) convincingly. The whole point of a DAP (for me) is portability, something that's not very practical with full size headphones. Of course YMMV - I'm just speaking for myself here.

As for differences between full size and IEMs - it's a whole new rabbit hole, a whole new world. IEMs are are different from full size headphones as headphones are as different from speakers. Each have their strengths and weaknesses, and each can do something better than the other. There are FAR more choices when it comes to IEMs across a far larger budget range, from $30 to $3000, and even a $30 modern IEM will be doing things that $300 full size headphones can't. For example, the detail and isolation of a good IEM are unrivalled. A word of warning: once you start venturing into IEMs and realise what's possible, it's a long and expensive road, so be sure you want to go that way before taking the first step...
I have full size headphones and IEMs as well. The IEMs I have are, Pinnacle P1, iBasso IT01, BGVP DMG and a few other as well. They are more or less as expensive as my full size headphones. None of the IEMs come close to the detail, soundstage, instrument separation, layering and tonality that the full size headphones have.

So I’m wondering which IEMs could easily out do full size headphones? Isolation I could still probably understand (not when the ANC comes into the picture though).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back