iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Jul 2, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #4,156 of 6,983
OK, received the DX160. Initial impressions are very strong.

I owned a FiiO X7 back when it first launched, but had all sorts of weird quirky issues with it (for the life of me, I could never ever get the hardware buttons to control Spotify, for example) and the UI was just too slow to manage proper over the long term.

I sold that and bought a Chord Mojo instead, and haven't touched a DAP in years.

Considering the price point and the fact that people say that its "midrange" I wasn't expecting much from the DX160, but I'm already very surprised with how capable (and good looking) this unit is. Even little stuff, like connecting via Bluetooth to my phone, so I can use it as a wireless DAC - this is really neat.

Anyway, still in the "honeymoon" phase for now, but yeah. Pretty strong first impressions. I'll give it a few days "stock" then I'll swap to Lurkers firmware afterwards to compare the two.DSC04655.jpgDSC04659.jpgDSC04674.jpgDSC04675.jpg
How do you like the sound quality in comparison with mojo?

Jul 3, 2020 at 1:15 AM Post #4,158 of 6,983
OK, received the DX160. Initial impressions are very strong.

I owned a FiiO X7 back when it first launched, but had all sorts of weird quirky issues with it (for the life of me, I could never ever get the hardware buttons to control Spotify, for example) and the UI was just too slow to manage proper over the long term.

I sold that and bought a Chord Mojo instead, and haven't touched a DAP in years.

Considering the price point and the fact that people say that its "midrange" I wasn't expecting much from the DX160, but I'm already very surprised with how capable (and good looking) this unit is. Even little stuff, like connecting via Bluetooth to my phone, so I can use it as a wireless DAC - this is really neat.

Anyway, still in the "honeymoon" phase for now, but yeah. Pretty strong first impressions. I'll give it a few days "stock" then I'll swap to Lurkers firmware afterwards to compare the two.DSC04655.jpgDSC04659.jpgDSC04674.jpgDSC04675.jpg
Pls give your thoughts on lurker's fw after you've done it bro 👍

Jul 3, 2020 at 4:41 AM Post #4,159 of 6,983

Anyway, still in the "honeymoon" phase for now, but yeah. Pretty strong first impressions. I'll give it a few days "stock" then I'll swap to Lurkers firmware afterwards to compare the two.

No doubts, DX160 is a fantastic DAP for the price, IMHO it's not "fare" to compare it with others DAPs that cost 50% more... I'm very happy also with my DX160 2020 after 2 month of use.

Nice pictures btw, are they yours?

Jul 3, 2020 at 6:40 AM Post #4,161 of 6,983
purchased! initial impressions: SQ is exquisite 👌👌 settings are very basic. i love the inverting next and previous track for better durability. where is double tap to wake! 😱😱
confused.gif

I've been trying to find that out since day one. You may need to download an app for that.

Jul 3, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #4,162 of 6,983
Wow, the color of the turntable and DX160 really close. Nice images.
Thanks! I was going to get black, but when I saw photos of the red version in this thread the similarity to the turntable was too much to ignore..

How do you like the sound quality in comparison with mojo?
Haven't compared the two yet, will let you know.

Pls give your thoughts on lurker's fw after you've done it bro 👍
Will do. I'm tempted to install it earlier than planned, because I love tinkering with this stuff..

No doubts, DX160 is a fantastic DAP for the price, IMHO it's not "fare" to compare it with others DAPs that cost 50% more... I'm very happy also with my DX160 2020 after 2 month of use.

Nice pictures btw, are they yours?
Yep! Just some quick snaps I took after I received the product. I'll probably post some more in this thread at some stage.

Jul 4, 2020 at 3:45 AM Post #4,163 of 6,983
Does iBasso DX160 use two dacs in line-out? Since 3.5mm is unbalanced, some players use only one dac and the other is useless. Is this the same case with DX160?
Well, I got my answer from the official DX160 page:
http://www.ibasso.com/cp_xq_dy.php?id=10759#page5

Dual Cirrus Logic flagship DAC chips CS43198QFN are used, regardless of 3.5mm single-ended or 4.4mm balanced output.

Even if it uses only one dac, the performance is the only thing that matters, which is great.

Jul 4, 2020 at 5:33 AM Post #4,164 of 6,983
Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #4,166 of 6,983
Jul 4, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #4,167 of 6,983
Wow...it's about time iBasso finally displayed the DX160 on their page 🙂👍
Paul told me they didn't display the DX160 on their page because they had difficulties to supply their resellers. And told me it would change as soon as the situation is regularised.

Jul 4, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #4,170 of 6,983
Alright, just finishing up my install of Lurkers mod now.

I had to install Rockchip driverassistant as the .zip file from Lurker's website didn't have windows 10 drivers in it - but all good otherwise, easy enough to install if you've done some Android tinkering before.

Does anyone have any specific questions regarding Lurkers mod? Anything you want me to investigate/check out etc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back