iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Dec 17, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #1,922 of 6,983
Newest firmware allows up to 192Khz from Streaming. I am using Amazon HD and have this displayed

Using as digital Source toward my desktop pieces
image.jpg

image.jpg

Dec 17, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #1,923 of 6,983
I appreciate the update for Amazon HD support however there seems to be an odd glitch. No matter what quality track I play on Amazon HD app it always says 192 KHz up in the notification bar at the top. I am running the latest DX 160 firmware and Lurker's latest firmware for it. This is using either the 4.4 or 3.5mm ports. Can anyone else confirm the same issue?

IMG_20191212_153040.jpg

Dec 17, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #1,925 of 6,983
I appreciate the update for Amazon HD support however there seems to be an odd glitch. No matter what quality track I play on Amazon HD app it always says 192 KHz up in the notification bar at the top. I am running the latest DX 160 firmware and Lurker's latest firmware for it. This is using either the 4.4 or 3.5mm ports. Can anyone else confirm the same issue?

Yes we designed it that way. It shows you the max resolution that will be played on the streaming service. When you tap on the Ultra HD, it shows you the actual Track Quality and the Device capability. But while streaming, you know that if the song is 192kHz, it will play at that resolution.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Dec 17, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #1,926 of 6,983
It shows 192khz as the max sample output could be. You can see in your pic “currently playing” @ 96khz
In my post I was talking about the output sample rate that Android shows at the top of the screen. It says 192 KHz all the time when using Amazon HD.
Yes we designed it that way. It shows you the max resolution that will be played on the streaming service. When you tap on the Ultra HD, it shows you the actual Track Quality and the Device capability. But while streaming, you know that if the song is 192kHz, it will play at that resolution.
I know it says that in the app but Android shows the output sample rate which you have now set to a max of 192 KHz which it shows all the time. Can you confirm that a 44.1 KHz track plays at 44.1 KHz and a 96 KHz track plays at 96 KHz etc. despite that it says 192 KHz at the top of the screen? Basically I want to know if all music is being re-sampled to 192 KHz or not.

Dec 17, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #1,927 of 6,983
In my post I was talking about the output sample rate that Android shows at the top of the screen. It says 192 KHz all the time when using Amazon HD.

I know it says that in the app but Android shows the output sample rate which you have now set to a max of 192 KHz which it shows all the time. Can you confirm that a 44.1 KHz track plays at 44.1 KHz and a 96 KHz track plays at 96 KHz etc. despite that it says 192 KHz at the top of the screen? Basically I want to know if all music is being re-sampled to 192 KHz or not.

if music is resampled to 192khz, then your Amazon App would say “track quality 24/96, but currently playing at 24/192”

does that sound about right ?

it is the same as Windows 10 Pc that I have. My DAC would show “PCM 192khz” If I chose the max handling resolution. But the current sample rate is played according to the software and the files quality

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #1,928 of 6,983
if music is resampled to 192khz, then your Amazon App would say “track quality 24/96, but currently playing at 24/192”

does that sound about right ?

it is the same as Windows 10 Pc that I have. My DAC would show “PCM 192khz” If I chose the max handling resolution. But the current sample rate is played according to the software and the files quality
That is what I would hope but I am not sure that is the case. You bring up a good parallel that helps explain the issue here. Amazon Music on the PC only runs through the Windows audio mixer. So you have to choose a default setting to which everything is up/down sampled regardless of the source file. The only way to get bit-perfect playback on the PC is to manually go into the settings and choose the setting for the quality of the file you are playing. Amazon needs to implement WASAPI/ASIO so that the app can bypass the Windows mixer and send bit-perfect sound to your DAC. Then your DAC, if it has a screen, would show the actual sample rate of the file it was playing.

PC.jpg

On to the issue here. I am trying to better understand what is happening in Android from iBasso. As you can see below the app says it is outputting 24/96 meanwhile the Android notification bar up top says it is outputting 192 KHz. This leads me to believe that Android is re-sampling everything to 192. With any other music player app on the DX160 the sample rate at the top of the screen changes depending on the source file sample rate. I am no Android guru so maybe this doesn't work the same as Windows. I just wanted iBasso to clarify that the 192 at the top does not mean that the music is being re-sampled.

I like seeing the sample rate change at the top to confirm that I am getting bit-perfect playback. It gives me the warm and fuzzies.

IMG_20191212_153040.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #1,930 of 6,983
Charging from my Windows 10 laptop is way too slow. My Amazon Fire charger which worked fine with my Questyle QP1R doesn't work with the dx160. Any UK users recommend any high(er) speed chargers which work with the dx160?
The DX160 will quick charge with a QC 3.0 charger. I picked up the one below and it charges the DX160 very quickly. Of note is that the DX160 is advertised to have Power Delivery fast charging as well however it does not fast charge off either of the two Power Delivery chargers I own.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PNZS298/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dec 17, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #1,931 of 6,983
Charging from my Windows 10 laptop is way too slow. My Amazon Fire charger which worked fine with my Questyle QP1R doesn't work with the dx160. Any UK users recommend any high(er) speed chargers which work with the dx160?
I have a 60watt Anker PD charger I got, so I can charge about everything and 2 times recently I accidentally discharged the DX160 completely, which I don't like to do with this type of battery! But, with the PD charger, each time it took 1.5 hours for a full charge. Not bad!

Dec 17, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #1,932 of 6,983
Roll over image to zoom in

The DX160 will quick charge with a QC 3.0 charger. I picked up the one below and it charges the DX160 very quickly. Of note is that the DX160 is advertised to have Power Delivery fast charging as well however it does not fast charge off either of the two Power Delivery chargers I own.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PNZS298/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately Amazon UK does not stock the iWalk charger you recommend.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #1,933 of 6,983
I have a 60watt Anker PD charger I got, so I can charge about everything and 2 times recently I accidentally discharged the DX160 completely, which I don't like to do with this type of battery! But, with the PD charger, each time it took 1.5 hours for a full charge. Not bad!
Thanks for the info. Amazon UK stocks a few 60 w Anker chargers. Which specific model are you using?

Dec 17, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #1,934 of 6,983
Thanks for the info. Amazon UK stocks a few 60 w Anker chargers. Which specific model are you using?
PowerPort Atom III 60W by Anker. Does a nice job and smaller than many others and feels very solid.

Dec 17, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #1,935 of 6,983
Sounds like Singapore doing better than UK then with Five used dx160 currently being sold on eBay...from one distributor..

Meaning? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back