iBasso DX150. Dual dacs and interchangeable AMPs. **NEW Firmware that supports AMP9! ** New FIRMWARE 1.05 Dec 30.
May 2, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #646 of 3,129
So, how would you rank, in terms of SQ alone, DX150, DX200, Shozy Alien+ and xDSD, you spoiled brat? :ksc75smile:

Is the xDSD an iFi product? I don't have it either way..

Not sure about your question.
Definitely the DX200 is the best player in terms of SQ alone.
However, I haven't tried different AMP units with the DX150 yet, nor A/B tested the DX150 vs the Alien+, so I wouldn't feel comfortable to make any sweeping statements just yet :wink:

May 2, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #647 of 3,129
what brand of 4.4mm adapter?
Doesn't really have a brand. The store owner buys generic jacks and cables then wires it himself. The one I was using is a 4N Silver wire 4.4 to 3.5mm adapter.

May 2, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #650 of 3,129
And the photos are here!

I need to take more, but you get it, DX150 is as cool as they say!~~~

(It sounds pretty amazing so far!! O_O)

Time to listen more to it now :darthsmile:

DcNe89aXkAAsNMi.jpg:large

DcNeA-nXUAAeGw-.jpg:large

May 2, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #652 of 3,129
(It sounds pretty amazing so far!! O_O)

Agreed. I've had mine for a few days now and while I haven't attempted any critical listening yet, I'm really enjoying what I've heard so far. As others have said, it's not the DX200, but it sounds great. I haven't tried any of the other amps either, but I plan to. So far it's been the DX150->CB12s->IT03 and to me it sounds very good.

Aesthetically I really like it as well. I actually prefer the hardware buttons on the DX150 over the DX200. I find them to be more tactile. Definitely better feedback when pressing them. I also really appreciate not having the guard over the volume wheel. I think I may like the gray case better as well. :)

I don't recall having any issues with the stock firmware so far. It does feel a bit snappier than the DX200 but I'm not sure that's a fair comparison as I've only been using the stock Mango player on the DX150 and I've been using Lurker's firmware and Neutron on the DX200.

If I was forced to make an early impression with just the few hours of listening I would have to say that if you're looking for something in this price range (or even above or below), I think it's fantastic. It feels very well built and so far seems to operate above it's price. This continues to be the pattern with iBasso but at the same time I don't want to take it for granted. I certainly appreciate it. :)

If you're willing to spend the extra money then yes, there's the DX200. And I don't regret owning mine for a minute.

It's going to be interesting to see reviews of all the mixing and matching across the players and amps, as well as what amps show up in the future. Exciting times ahead I think.

May 3, 2018 at 6:33 AM Post #653 of 3,129
Agreed. I've had mine for a few days now and while I haven't attempted any critical listening yet, I'm really enjoying what I've heard so far. As others have said, it's not the DX200, but it sounds great. I haven't tried any of the other amps either, but I plan to. So far it's been the DX150->CB12s->IT03 and to me it sounds very good.

Aesthetically I really like it as well. I actually prefer the hardware buttons on the DX150 over the DX200. I find them to be more tactile. Definitely better feedback when pressing them. I also really appreciate not having the guard over the volume wheel. I think I may like the gray case better as well. :)

I don't recall having any issues with the stock firmware so far. It does feel a bit snappier than the DX200 but I'm not sure that's a fair comparison as I've only been using the stock Mango player on the DX150 and I've been using Lurker's firmware and Neutron on the DX200.

If I was forced to make an early impression with just the few hours of listening I would have to say that if you're looking for something in this price range (or even above or below), I think it's fantastic. It feels very well built and so far seems to operate above it's price. This continues to be the pattern with iBasso but at the same time I don't want to take it for granted. I certainly appreciate it. :)

If you're willing to spend the extra money then yes, there's the DX200. And I don't regret owning mine for a minute.

It's going to be interesting to see reviews of all the mixing and matching across the players and amps, as well as what amps show up in the future. Exciting times ahead I think.

Great post, I second all of this :)

I also found that I prefer the DX150 over the DX200 in terms of its ergonomic aspects. The volume wheel and buttons are much easier to use, and (in my opinion) executed in a more stylish way.
The only thing I've noticed is that, being used to the buttons of the DX200, I have accidentally pressed the DX150 buttons a few times when putting it into the (admittedly rather tight) pockets of my jeans.
I think this is just a case of getting used to the way a new device behaves though; with the DX200 this never happened, so I'd gotten careless I think :D

I do think it's an excellent player and I totally agree that it's going to be interesting to hear impressions in the near future of people trying AMP3, AMP5, AMP4s and so on with the DX150 :)

May 3, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #654 of 3,129
Great post, I second all of this :)

I also found that I prefer the DX150 over the DX200 in terms of its ergonomic aspects. The volume wheel and buttons are much easier to use, and (in my opinion) executed in a more stylish way.
The only thing I've noticed is that, being used to the buttons of the DX200, I have accidentally pressed the DX150 buttons a few times when putting it into the (admittedly rather tight) pockets of my jeans.
I think this is just a case of getting used to the way a new device behaves though; with the DX200 this never happened, so I'd gotten careless I think :D

I do think it's an excellent player and I totally agree that it's going to be interesting to hear impressions in the near future of people trying AMP3, AMP5, AMP4s and so on with the DX150 :)
And in the end you spend more on additional amp modules than the DX150 itself :p

May 4, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #655 of 3,129
And in the end you spend more on additional amp modules than the DX150 itself :p

That could certainly happen. But think of all the options. :)

May 4, 2018 at 4:47 AM Post #656 of 3,129

Indeed. I'm thinking to make a stack of DX150 with AMP6, stacked onto AMP units 3, 4, 4s and 5 all linked together in series, for the ultimate* portable audio stack :p

*for truly ultimate performance, remember to paint it gold :wink:

May 4, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #658 of 3,129
Is it normal to get EMI noise from this thing? Even an occasional "beep" when using wifi?

Using Andromeda (of course known for emphasizing any hiss or noise from your system), 3.5mm TRS single-ended output, things sound really clean on balanced w/ WiFi turned off, but with WiFi on, I basically need to use an IEMatch if I don't want to put up with these beeps. Of course less annoying with other headphones, but even on a Denon D7000 I can hear a faint beep once in a while when streaming spotify. Other weird thing is its only on the left channel.

And if I use the 2.5mm TRRS balanced output on Andromeda, I even get background noise on the left channel when WiFi is off. No beeps though.

I'm new to DAPs so maybe this is normal? But its kind of disappointing compared to iPhone which also has lots of electronics (including WiFi that works a lot better, btw) all packed in a small space, with no EMI noise whatsoever even on Andromeda.

May 4, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #659 of 3,129
Background noise, often referred to as "hiss", sort of like a faint white noise, is common when you use sensitive iems, and it does happen sometimes even with DAPs. I definitely hear a bit of hiss when I use my Noble iems with the DX150.

It's a trade off: the amp module is meant to drive a wide range of iems and headphones.. With more power, generally there is more electronic noise. A less powerful amp module may fare better with your Andromedas.

I haven't used WiFi with my DX150, so I can't comment on the beeps.

Last edited:
May 4, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #660 of 3,129
Is it normal to get EMI noise from this thing? Even an occasional "beep" when using wifi?

Using Andromeda (of course known for emphasizing any hiss or noise from your system), 3.5mm TRS single-ended output, things sound really clean on balanced w/ WiFi turned off, but with WiFi on, I basically need to use an IEMatch if I don't want to put up with these beeps. Of course less annoying with other headphones, but even on a Denon D7000 I can hear a faint beep once in a while when streaming spotify. Other weird thing is its only on the left channel.

And if I use the 2.5mm TRRS balanced output on Andromeda, I even get background noise on the left channel when WiFi is off. No beeps though.

I'm new to DAPs so maybe this is normal? But its kind of disappointing compared to iPhone which also has lots of electronics (including WiFi that works a lot better, btw) all packed in a small space, with no EMI noise whatsoever even on Andromeda.
Are you using 5G for your WiFi?

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back