iBasso DX150. Dual dacs and interchangeable AMPs. **NEW Firmware that supports AMP9! ** New FIRMWARE 1.05 Dec 30.
Apr 25, 2019 at 6:58 AM Post #2,491 of 3,129
thanks. a lot. i know it depends on many factors. i only wanted to know it roughly. for decision.
Some amps give a shorter battery life. The amp 8 for example. In this case the Lurker mod will help by a good % over all

Apr 25, 2019 at 7:15 AM Post #2,492 of 3,129
Does Mango player only mode improve sq at all?
If you are using the Mango player it should be the same. however the lurker mod comes with USB Audio app which let third-party apps use the internal DAC fully.

Apr 25, 2019 at 7:49 AM Post #2,494 of 3,129
I will make some tests on battery life with both modes and Mango vs Hiby-Lurker App.
Btw, with the latest stock firmware (OREO 8.1 / 1.03.036), is there any way to be in full Mango OS?

Thanks
full mango mode for DX150 is only available in marshmallow lurker firmware AFAIK.

Apr 25, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #2,495 of 3,129
For some reason the repeat option is not working properly it repeats the next song instead of the current song. Strange ...
You are trying to repeat the same song but instead it goes to the next song and repeats it? Have you tried a factory reset or new install of the firmware and a reset after that?

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Apr 25, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #2,496 of 3,129
You are trying to repeat the same song but instead it goes to the next song and repeats it? Have you tried a factory reset or new install of the firmware and a reset after that?

Hey Paul, I would like to know if I have it on low gain, would it limit the max power output as compared to high gain? As with home theater amps I always perfer to set them lower on gain as they do not limit power output and at the same time benefit from lower noise. Wondering if it works the same in amp 8.

Apr 26, 2019 at 7:34 AM Post #2,498 of 3,129
@Paul - iBasso I've used my DX150+AMP7 for a little over two weeks and I have to say I'm kinda disappointed. The sound quality is great, I like the design and the UI is smooth enough but there are some quirks that I have never experienced with AK products.

1. each time the player switches between 44.1khz to anything higher and to DSD files there is a noticeable pop that is definitely annoying. I know it's switching to XMOS (or something like this) but why this is not an issue on every other DAP I've tested? (It's mostly noticeable with my CA Solaris)

2. when the player is paused for some time or when I first turn on the DAP and hit play there is a VERY LOUD pop sound that hurts my ears! (noticeable on both my HEXv2 planars as well as Solaris)
I have to make sure I remember to press play and then connect my headphones. Or when I've paused the music for like 1 min I should disconnect the headphone before pressing play again. Once again, not an issue with my AK300.

3.The player sometimes gets hot. even on low-gain and playing PCM files.
(I'm using the latest firmware + lurker addon. But the problems (1,2) were both present before flashing the addon too).

I'm sure there has to be a way to fix at least the first 2 issues with software updates. Is there anyone else experiencing this issues?
I'm getting the feeling that as good as DX150 (and DX200) sound for the price they are just not as polished at AK/Sony products.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2019 at 8:21 AM Post #2,499 of 3,129
@Paul - iBasso I've used my DX150+AMP7 for a little over two weeks and I have to say I'm kinda disappointed. The sound quality is great, I like the design and the UI is smooth enough but there are some quirks that I have never experienced with AK products.

1. each time the player switches between 44.1khz to anything higher and to DSD files there is a noticeable hiss that is definitely annoying. I know it's switching to XMOS (or something like this) but why this is not an issue on every other DAP I've tested? (It's mostly noticeable with my CA Solaris)

2. when the player is paused for some time or when I first turn on the DAP and hit play there is a VERY LOUD pop sound that hurts my ears! (noticeable on both my HEXv2 planars as well as Solaris)
I have to make sure I remember to press play and then connect my headphones. Or when I've paused the music for like 1 min I should disconnect the headphone before pressing play again. Once again, not an issue with my AK300.

(I'm using the latest firmware + lurker addon. But the problems (1,2) were both present before flashing the addon too).

I'm sure there has to be a way to fix at least the first 2 issues with software updates. Is there anyone else experiencing this issues?
I'm getting the feeling that as good as DX150 (and DX200) sound for the price they are just not as polished at AK/Sony products.
I'me experiencing the first two issues as well hence I've relegated myself to just flac files with the player and save the DSD for desktop use. By the way, I get a pretty annoying pop when switching to playing DSD files.

Apr 26, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #2,500 of 3,129
I'me experiencing the first two issues as well hence I've relegated myself to just flac files with the player and save the DSD for desktop use. By the way, I get a pretty annoying pop when switching to playing DSD files.

Compared to my DX80 my DX150 feels like beta test model

1, clicks and pops when changing to different album irrespective of codec
2, after starting - there is 3-5 second delay from pressing play to music starting
3, scrolling is useless - either stutters about 1/3rd of a page or suddenly whizzes through 3-4 pages
4, response is terrible - almost always have to press 2-4 times to get it to recognise
5, Line out is not line out - if anything it is less 'powerful' - both level and sound quality than phones out - LO should be full 100% power
6, it gets too warm whatever `i play
7, updating using whatever methods is a real chore and rarely works perfectly 1st time

NB: currently using mango player only + lurker to get more battery life

As others state the player sounds fine BUT for £500 it is disgraceful and is pretty close to being not fit for purpose
Frankly surprised and disappointed in iBasso. A company I have respect for :/

Personally as well - to only have 1 slot for sd card - for £500 is a joke. I had to buy a 400Gb card :/ - The amp it ships with is warm and dull sounding so you basically have to
purchase another amp to get a balanced good sound

I feel a loyalty to iBasso but although I like the sound of this player. These issues do leave a bit of an unpleasant taste in my mouth. Maybe they just want to focus on the DX200 - which costs serious money :wink: :D

To be fair, I should add that Im using Lukers mod [maybe this is where some faults lie? although past experience has been that Lurkers mods are a stripped down version and as such do not add anything but 'should' improve battery life and to some degree, funcionality] as all I want is a player - I dont want to use android or to stream compressed stuff from online :) In this sense I would have thought the lurker Mango only player would improve the player? :/

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #2,501 of 3,129
I dont want to use android
I'd suggest you to try to take full advantage of your DX150, and evaluate Neutron and/or UAPP under Android! They both have trial versions.

Apr 26, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #2,502 of 3,129
I'd suggest you to try to take full advantage of your DX150, and evaluate Neutron and/or UAPP under Android! They both have trial versions.
Thanks Buddy. appreciate it

Apr 26, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #2,503 of 3,129

*****I have noticed this in other daps that use the XMOS. I have hear a little sound with our but not a pop. I know you have tried a factory reset and have updated the firmware so I am not sure why you are getting this. Possibly try the Android Tool and do a clean install of a .img firmware and then update to the latest firmware and do a factory reset?

*****I have to make sure I remember to press play and then connect my headphones. Or when I've paused the music for like 1 min I should disconnect the headphone before pressing play again. Once again, not an issue with my AK300.

*****I will look more into this and talk to our software engineers about this.

*****If the player is in a pocket it will bet warm or even hot because it doesn't have a way to dissipate heat. In the open there shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:
iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Apr 27, 2019 at 2:12 AM Post #2,504 of 3,129
update on 27/4/2019,I did yet another factory reset, it's fixed the repeating problem. Thanks for your help and prompt reply Pual! This is why I come back to iBasso :beyersmile:.

Apr 27, 2019 at 5:00 AM Post #2,505 of 3,129
Compared to my DX80 my DX150 feels like beta test model

1, clicks and pops when changing to different album irrespective of codec
2, after starting - there is 3-5 second delay from pressing play to music starting
3, scrolling is useless - either stutters about 1/3rd of a page or suddenly whizzes through 3-4 pages
4, response is terrible - almost always have to press 2-4 times to get it to recognise
5, Line out is not line out - if anything it is less 'powerful' - both level and sound quality than phones out - LO should be full 100% power
6, it gets too warm whatever `i play
7, updating using whatever methods is a real chore and rarely works perfectly 1st time

NB: currently using mango player only + lurker to get more battery life

As others state the player sounds fine BUT for £500 it is disgraceful and is pretty close to being not fit for purpose
Frankly surprised and disappointed in iBasso. A company I have respect for :/

Personally as well - to only have 1 slot for sd card - for £500 is a joke. I had to buy a 400Gb card :/ - The amp it ships with is warm and dull sounding so you basically have to
purchase another amp to get a balanced good sound

I feel a loyalty to iBasso but although I like the sound of this player. These issues do leave a bit of an unpleasant taste in my mouth. Maybe they just want to focus on the DX200 - which costs serious money :wink: :D

To be fair, I should add that Im using Lukers mod [maybe this is where some faults lie? although past experience has been that Lurkers mods are a stripped down version and as such do not add anything but 'should' improve battery life and to some degree, funcionality] as all I want is a player - I dont want to use android or to stream compressed stuff from online :) In this sense I would have thought the lurker Mango only player would improve the player? :/

Might have been better off with the dx120 then which is a non android player from what I gather? Anyway you can return the player if you don't like it that much?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back