iBasso DX120 pure DAP player. Balanced, single ended, line out and 2 micro SD slots. FW 2.9.21 now out!
Sep 8, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #91 of 2,153
Well i think to review a DAP is not a competition. I am mostly interested in a comparison of the SQ and if its on the analytical or musical side.

100% agree! We all hear things differently, use different iems/headphones, listen to a different music, and have a different point of reference for comparison when sharing our impressions or working on a full review write up. Every review is a data point for potential buyers who are trying to decide if this product is right for them.

Sep 8, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #92 of 2,153
100% agree! We all hear things differently, use different iems/headphones, listen to a different music, and have a different point of reference for comparison when sharing our impressions or working on a full review write up. Every review is a data point for potential buyers who are trying to decide if this product is right for them.

^^^ This is something I wish far more people understood...especially the part of using different IEMs/headphones (which can sometimes make it seem like you're hearing differences in DAPs/AMPs but in reality you are hearing the effects of the output impedance on the FR of the headphones/IEMs), but more importantly that we all "have a different point of reference for comparison when sharing our impressions or working on a full review write up". It's this variation in reference points that makes it so difficult for reviewers to accurately and sincerely share our impressions, and likewise it makes it difficult for readers/viewers to know who is "right".

Sep 8, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #93 of 2,153

That was exactly my point. Although better articulated :D

Sep 9, 2018 at 5:15 AM Post #96 of 2,153
I have listened to it. Very good sound. Never thought it can be tuned so good.

I like it personnally than dx150(stock amp), ak100ii, fiio x5iii and zx300.

All frequency are very balanced and maintain impact and speed.

My iem is fitear 335dwsr + 2.5 balanced cable
Filter: short delay sharp roll off
Sound mode: reference.
Gain: low

Volume used only 40ish out of 100 ( very high output!)

Those curious about hiss. I would say yes there is a little bit of "shh---" sound in background. It will notice when the main music are fading in lower volume. But it is very acceptable. Fiio x5iii gives me much more hiss than this device.

I describe this as Engaging and enjoyable sound. If I listen to this while working. I would sure that I cannot focus on task I am doing!.

The responsiveness of GUI is best so far.

I wish my dx200 getting mango OS updated like this one.

Best <$300 DAP for this year IMO

Sep 9, 2018 at 6:37 AM Post #98 of 2,153
What should I say more?

Sep 9, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #101 of 2,153
Compared to the others, how is the Stage? Instrument Placement? Resolution? Dark or bright sounding?

I will leave Comparison to reviewer cuz I dont own a lot of devices. I just come to shop and try.

But I would say the stage is really 3D. Better transparency than zx300 and fiio x5iii. It is slightly warm, full mid (than another dap I mentioned above) and crisp treble. Instrument separation is good and very accurate.

Sep 9, 2018 at 8:20 AM Post #102 of 2,153
Has the DX120 USB-C Audio Out?

I tried it quickly as a transport with oppo HA2 usb dac and it worked OK, though output seems to be high and I had to keep HA2 at lower volume. Didn't work with micro iDSD BL, will try again later with another USB cable.

Sep 9, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #104 of 2,153
Quality bass. Not overwhelm but sufficient to match with any music genre. I dont feel any bleeding of bass amount to make muddy vocal. Every frequency are coming right and accurate in its each own.

Deep bass is very deep and impactful yet tight. And feel the speed of song is not damaged. Very much feel music flowing.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #105 of 2,153
I tried it quickly as a transport with oppo HA2 usb dac and it worked OK, though output seems to be high and I had to keep HA2 at lower volume. Didn't work with micro iDSD BL, will try again later with another USB cable.

Excellent! :) I really wanted to wait for the Shanling M5s but the iBasso DX120 is more and more the player I've been looking for :) What is the Output Impedance?
I hope there will be a few comparisons to other players soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back