iBasso DX120 pure DAP player. Balanced, single ended, line out and 2 micro SD slots. FW 2.9.21 now out!
Sep 11, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #138 of 2,153
@twister6 Alex, would it please be possible to test out both the cards at the same time if you have the time and the patience.

Sep 11, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #139 of 2,153
@twister6 Alex, would it please be possible to test out both the cards at the same time if you have the time and the patience.

Yes, did that, will mention in my write up. Pretty much, when you browse by Artist, Album, Genre, and All Music - everything is integrated in one combined list. Only when you browse by Directory, it's separated by SD card 1 and card 2.

Sep 11, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #140 of 2,153
What speed class memory card is optimal for the DX120?
I assume the device won't read faster than USB2 speeds, so the 30-50 MB/s card is okay.
No need for sandisk extreme pro / extreme plus / extreme.
Sandisk ultra seems like good slow cheap card to start with.

Sep 11, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #142 of 2,153
This is just a spec of output impedance (for compatibility with other IEMs and their impedance and crossover design) which is not related to output power. For the output power, DX120 has 2.5mm BAL output rated at 3.6Vrms which translates roughly to 400mW of power with 32ohm load, and 3.5mm SE output rated at 1.8Vrms which translates roughly to 100mW of power with 32ohm load.
I was hoping it had more from the single ended side. In comparison to other daps that have balanced output, this seems like a really big gap in power between single and balanced, like 4X vs the typical 2X.
Anyways, do we know what file formats this device supports yet? I'm mostly curious if it supports 32 bit WAV

Sep 11, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #143 of 2,153
Sep 11, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #145 of 2,153
I was hoping it had more from the single ended side. In comparison to other daps that have balanced output, this seems like a really big gap in power between single and balanced, like 4X vs the typical 2X.
Anyways, do we know what file formats this device supports yet? I'm mostly curious if it supports 32 bit WAV

The spec says PCM support up to 32bit depth / 384kHz sampling rate; that should cover 32bit WAV.

Regarding the power output, numbrs doesn't tell you the whole story. The synergy of pair up is what matters. Here is an example. I'm at work now with DX120 and have VE Zen earbuds (ZOE version with removable cable, still the same Dynamic driver with 320 ohm impedance). From DX120 on high gain from SE output I need 55/100 volume to reach my preferred listening level. Going to BAL output, I only dropped the volume to 45/100. It's not a linear relationship where the multiple of power will equate to the multiple of volume. I'm not a "sound science" guy, pretending that I know everything, just sharing what and how I hear it :) And btw, in this pair up, driving it BAL yields a better synergy with less congested mids in comparison to SE output. But that's probably a property of Zen's DD, being driven more efficiently with higher voltage output.

Sep 11, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #146 of 2,153
Sep 11, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #147 of 2,153
The spec says PCM support up to 32bit depth / 384kHz sampling rate; that should cover 32bit WAV.

Regarding the power output, numbrs doesn't tell you the whole story. The synergy of pair up is what matters. Here is an example. I'm at work now with DX120 and have VE Zen earbuds (ZOE version with removable cable, still the same Dynamic driver with 320 ohm impedance). From DX120 on high gain from SE output I need 55/100 volume to reach my preferred listening level. Going to BAL output, I only dropped the volume to 45/100. It's not a linear relationship where the multiple of power will equate to the multiple of volume. I'm not a "sound science" guy, pretending that I know everything, just sharing what and how I hear it :) And btw, in this pair up, driving it BAL yields a better synergy with less congested mids in comparison to SE output. But that's probably a property of Zen's DD, being driven more efficiently with higher voltage output.
Makes sense and makes things more confusing all at the same time. Gotta love the world of audio lol. I'm trying to decide if I need this in my life. I really like the idea of a device made specifically for straight musical bliss, with no extra doo dads and hoo haws to tinker around with. I've always preferred simplicity combined with a user friendly experience. Seems this fits that bill.

Sep 11, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #149 of 2,153
How’d u find the DX120 compared to the Opus 1S?

I got so many questions about this comparison, I will cover it in my review. But in a summary, if you already have #1S, DX120 will be more of a side-grade with a different tonality and a similar technical performance. But if you are deciding between #1S and DX120, DX120 would be my personal choice (higher power of BAL output, longer battery life, more compact footprint, metal instead of plastic chassis, and $100 cheaper). Of course, you can also look at dx120 as an upgrade, but keep in mind when you are selling yours Opus#1S, you will probably going to take a hit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back