iBasso DX120 pure DAP player. Balanced, single ended, line out and 2 micro SD slots. FW 2.9.21 now out!
Sep 5, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #31 of 2,153
The DX 120 is still not shown on the iBasso site as a product. iBasso's marketing strategy for this product is most strange. I wonder what their motive is by just making it available in China?
Who knows . Ibasso seems to do this occasionally. The pb03 mockingbird is kind of similar.

My main concern about this is the outdated single DAC. Looks to me like they want this to be a niche product for people who aren't thrilled with all the frills of the dx150/200, so it wouldn't be a surprise if marketing is minimal. The power output is also somewhat... Odd.

Sep 5, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #32 of 2,153
Who knows . Ibasso seems to do this occasionally. The pb03 mockingbird is kind of similar.

My main concern about this is the outdated single DAC. Looks to me like they want this to be a niche product for people who aren't thrilled with all the frills of the dx150/200, so it wouldn't be a surprise if marketing is minimal. The power output is also somewhat... Odd.

What do you mean power output is odd? Balanced output is about 400mW @32ohm. Regarding DAC, all these 4490, 4495, 4497 were released 2-3 years ago, and even other flagships still use it. I was just talking to another company who announced their brand new flagship which uses ancient cs4398 lol!!!

But anyway, received DX120 last night, on a burn in now. Only a brief listening. In addition to the usual half a dozen or so of digital filters, it also has 5 Sound Modes with noticeable changes in tonality. Mango interface seems to be updated, optimized, and very responsive, switching between mp3, flac, dsd (64, 128) without a problem, loaded cue files fine, gapless is perfect. Relatively small and very compact design, great ergonomics with curved sides. Fast QC2.0 charging is convenient. Soundstage width is HUGE, I might have to compare it to SP1000 when i'm ready to take listening notes. The sound is very dynamic. Still need to figure out the tonality since there are so many filters and sound modes to go through. I like fast filter with a Reference sound mode, that one gives me the crisper details, while other Original, Classical, and other modes are smoother, warmer, etc.

The only negative so far is a plastic case/cover which only goes around the perimeter without covering the back. Good idea, but I don't like how it feels in my hand, so using DX120 naked for now. I know, this is $299 DAP, different expectations, so I hope maybe ibasso will come up with a cool optional case accessory. Will have more impressions after a few days of burn in, but so far I can say that iBasso raised a bar for $299 audio-playback DAP.

Sep 5, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #33 of 2,153
What do you mean power output is odd? Balanced output is about 400mW @32ohm. Regarding DAC, all these 4490, 4495, 4497 were released 2-3 years ago, and even other flagships still use it. I was just talking to another company who announced their brand new flagship which uses ancient cs4398 lol!!!

But anyway, received DX120 last night, on a burn in now. Only a brief listening. In addition to the usual half a dozen or so of digital filters, it also has 5 Sound Modes with noticeable changes in tonality. Mango interface seems to be updated, optimized, and very responsive, switching between mp3, flac, dsd (64, 128) without a problem, loaded cue files fine, gapless is perfect. Relatively small and very compact design, great ergonomics with curved sides. Fast QC2.0 charging is convenient. Soundstage width is HUGE, I might have to compare it to SP1000 when i'm ready to take listening notes. The sound is very dynamic. Still need to figure out the tonality since there are so many filters and sound modes to go through. I like fast filter with a Reference sound mode, that one gives me the crisper details, while other Original, Classical, and other modes are smoother, warmer, etc.

The only negative so far is a plastic case/cover which only goes around the perimeter without covering the back. Good idea, but I don't like how it feels in my hand, so using DX120 naked for now. I know, this is $299 DAP, different expectations, so I hope maybe ibasso will come up with a cool optional case accessory. Will have more impressions after a few days of burn in, but so far I can say that iBasso raised a bar for $299 audio-playback DAP.
If you can then please do try it with 2 mSD card, I want to see how it handles both cards. Thanks Alex

Sep 5, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #37 of 2,153
Last edited:
Sep 6, 2018 at 2:53 AM Post #39 of 2,153
The DX120 has a natural sound with great dynamics. There is a good amount of air rendered with crisp treble presentation. The soundstage impresses me quite a lot and it is able to create a spacious feeling without any congestion.

41280420_2077930175575057_5384374575125495808_n.jpg

Sep 6, 2018 at 6:15 AM Post #42 of 2,153
The DX120 has a natural sound with great dynamics. There is a good amount of air rendered with crisp treble presentation. The soundstage impresses me quite a lot and it is able to create a spacious feeling without any congestion.

41280420_2077930175575057_5384374575125495808_n.jpg
Don't know why but I'm getting Sony vibes from the design.

Anybody feel the same?

Sep 6, 2018 at 8:10 AM Post #45 of 2,153
No BT - great, no wifi - great, two micro sd card slots - great, pure Mango - great, the price - great! If it's better than DX90 it will be great! :)
I own a DX90 and if this 120 sounds better I buy it immediately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back