iBasso DX100 Reference DAP - ES9018 inside
Feb 15, 2012 at 4:41 AM Post #2,552 of 2,799
Yes but then you are bypassing the dx100 dac and feeding an external dac, not just an amp

Feb 15, 2012 at 5:07 AM Post #2,553 of 2,799
I really would not be skeptical of the amp.  It to me is the biggest surprise of the unit - it's really very powerful, nearly as powerful as their balanced amps, at least in my experience, and with extremely clean output.  People are driving HE-6s with it decently, so that says something.

Feb 15, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #2,554 of 2,799

Quote:
To those who own the DX100, which output on the DX100 gives the best SQ? The line-out, coaxial or optical output?

This is a good question...and do not be put off by responses such as "why would you need the lineout or digital outs".  So far there is feedback that the DX100 is better on its own, another that indicates that using the DX100 as a transport to a good offboard DAC and amp is nearly equal, and another impression that using the digitial outs is better than the DX100 directly.  These impressions range the spectrum of possibilites.

So it looks like we need to wait for more impressions to see what people think.  I will be spending a lot of listening time trying to figure this out.

I think it's funny that everyone wants to overlook the digital outs on this device....because as we have all learned, there will be some new hot device six months from now that everyone will be excited about that these digital outs can feed for an improved sound.  I feel this is one of the DX100's strengths...with a good digital out, it is future "upgradeable" as better DAC's are released.  This is one reason the H1xx series were so popular for ten years.   

Feb 15, 2012 at 7:54 AM Post #2,555 of 2,799
The line out / digital out was one of the things that immediately attracted me to this player. Now I can have a very very good (by all accounts) portable player. But I can also use it as a music library and plug it into my OTL setup which provides a different listening experience to anything that I'd take on the road with me.

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #2,556 of 2,799
For those who own DX100

how long does a DX100 take to charge completely ( from zero battery )

i know it says 4 hours on the ibasso page but , i want to know the actual charge time .

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:34 AM Post #2,557 of 2,799

Quote:
This is a good question...and do not be put off by responses such as "why would you need the lineout or digital outs".  So far there is feedback that the DX100 is better on its own, another that indicates that using the DX100 as a transport to a good offboard DAC and amp is nearly equal, and another impression that using the digitial outs is better than the DX100 directly.  These impressions range the spectrum of possibilites.

So it looks like we need to wait for more impressions to see what people think.  I will be spending a lot of listening time trying to figure this out.

I think it's funny that everyone wants to overlook the digital outs on this device....because as we have all learned, there will be some new hot device six months from now that everyone will be excited about that these digital outs can feed for an improved sound.  I feel this is one of the DX100's strengths...with a good digital out, it is future "upgradeable" as better DAC's are released.  This is one reason the H1xx series were so popular for ten years.   

Thanks. Although it still doesn't answer my question, I think your response is the most helpful yet. cheers buddy!

Feb 15, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #2,558 of 2,799

Quote:
For those who own DX100

how long does a DX100 take to charge completely ( from zero battery )

i know it says 4 hours on the ibasso page but , i want to know the actual charge time .

I advise against draining the battery less then 30%, it will shortens the battery life! 

After my long research/experience I came to this conclusion, take it or leave it...

Feb 15, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #2,559 of 2,799

Quote:

I advise against draining the battery less then 30%, it will shortens the battery life! 

After my long research/experience I came to this conclusion, take it or leave it...

With my battery complelty drained it took slightly over 2 hours to fully charge so very reasonable charge times IMO.

Feb 15, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #2,560 of 2,799
Your question can not be answered as it is comparing apples to oranges. The lineout is depended on the build in dac were as the sq of any digital signal out would depend solely on the quality of what ever external dac you want to use to generate the analog signal. So if you compare the lineout to the result of a $50 dac the lineout will most likely be the best but if you compare to a multi thousand dollar desktop dac then that one might concivably be better.

Quote:

Thanks. Although it still doesn't answer my question, I think your response is the most helpful yet. cheers buddy!

Feb 15, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #2,561 of 2,799

Sorry, I must be missing this, but where on the specs does it indicate that it has a  Digital Inputs that would allow using it as a external DAC?  All I see listed are digital OUTPUTs.  Digital outputs would imply you are bypassing the DAC in the unit to output a digital signal to an external DAC - in effect using the DX100 simply as a hard drive with music on it.  Perhaps I'm missing some critical info here - but from what iBasso lists as features and specs there is no digital input.   OK, so someone who actually owns one clear this up...here are the specs and features as listed on the iBasso site.

Quote:
[size=medium]Main Features:[/size]
- Android2.3 OS With Custom Audio Player Software
- Support up to 24Bit/192kHz Bit for Bit Decoding
- ES9018 32Bit DAC Chip
- Built-in +/-8.5V Headphone AMP
- 3.75" Capacitive Touch Screen
- Up to 24Bit/192 Optical/Mini Coaxial Output
- 3.5mm Headphone Output, 6.3mm Headphone Output, and Line Out
- 256-Steps Digital Volume Control
- 64G Onboard Flash
- Support up to 32G External MicroSD
- 3-Setting Gain Switch
- SRC Function
- Slow Roll-off/ Sharp Roll-off Digital Filter
- Support Wifi, Bluetooth
- Solid Case Made of Magnesium Alloy and Aluminum Alloy
- Audio Formats Supported: APE, FLAC, WAV, WMA, AAC, ALAC, OGG, MP3
- Come With Micro USB Cable, Coaxial Cable, and AC Adapter
- One Year Warranty and Ten Years Free Labour

[size=medium]Specification:[/size]
Power Source:Built-in 2000mAh 8.4V Li-polymer Battery pack or external power supply
Frequency Response: 20Hz-20KHz +0.1/-0.25dB
Signal to Noise Ratio:-116dB
Crosstalk: 1KHz0dB > -100dB, 20KHz odB = -82dB
THD+N: 0.002%
IMD: 0.0034%
Gain and Output Power: 0dB=2V rms (125mW/32ohm)
+3dB = 2.8V rms (245mW/32ohm)
+8.5dB = 5.0V rms (83mW/300ohm)
Battery Life: 72Hours (stand-by) or 7Hours (play music)
Battery Charge Time: 4Hours
External Power supply: 12V DC
Recommended Headphone Impedance: 8~600Ω
Dimension: 2.83W x 4.65L x 0.93H (inch)
71.8W x 118L x 27.5H (mm)
Weight: 265g or 9.3oz

Feb 15, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #2,562 of 2,799

Quote:
Sorry, I must be missing this, but where on the specs does it indicate that it has a  Digital Inputs that would allow using it as a external DAC?

DX100 never has any digital input and could never be used as an external DAC.
I am not sure where you infer that from.

Feb 15, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #2,563 of 2,799
Thanks for confirming that.  That's what I thought.  I was reading through recent posts quickly and the question came to mind when I read this post...

Quote:
No, for example. Use Dx100 to send to KGSSHV > Stax., I am actually very interested in this. Or a number of other systems for that matter. (dynamics at home) if the Dac is up to the challenge of "home dac'ing"!

Or for meets! Playing my music out of somebody else's setup! This would be very cool.

A portable Dac of this quality sounds nice. The question is, am I ever going to get back into dynamic headphones. The only thing, and I mean the only thing about this product that has me skeptical is the +/- 8.5Volt headphone amp.. The power is not bad... Actually, balls out for a portable Dap, especially one of this size. Of course they could have made it bigger, but at the expense of even more battery life! I applaud iBasso from the appearance of their product from a 'distanced' standpoint.

Looks very, very well thought out. Their software also bypasses the Android OS and 'Kernal streams.' This is something I am very excited for, as to me computer audio's Kernal streaming actually makes a bigger difference. ~ mainly it's nice to have something like that for free. And the fact that iBasso's including a similar function to that is very appreciated to me.

While the price - nearly 900$ after shipping is a lot for a portable, this is a very cool product. While it's small there's a bit of engineering, and their software effort in this product elevates it above the rest.. At least in my view. I am very excited to hear one eventually. While of course I wish the amp had a bit more Voltage swing, I just recognize it's probably not really possible in this setup (mainly just due to battery life). I think -at least from the spec sheets- that iBasso made nearly perfectly executed choices throughout the design of this product and that's what impresses me.

Now as to how it sounds... We shall see. :wink:

This and an O2 pairing would likely make for an excellent (portable) combo, especially for the venerable 800's. I think the internal amp will certainly be 'fine' for lcd-2's, but better (amp) is always well... better! Only wish the amp had a +/- 12-14 Volt swing instead of a +/- 8.5! But other than that....  "armed to the teeth" comes to mind.

(Albeit you'll be charging between the both of them often). Dap and O2 batteries. It's probably about as good as you can get for a portable.

This implied that the DX100 could be a portable DAC.  Perhaps the OP meant to type DAP?

Feb 15, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #2,564 of 2,799

Quote:
Thanks for confirming that.  That's what I thought.  I was reading through recent posts quickly and the question came to mind when I read this post...

This implied that the DX100 could be a portable DAC.  Perhaps the OP meant to type DAP?

Yeah. My mind played trick on me that I automatically interpret it as the DAC in the portable DAP.

Upon closer reading, I think you are right.

Feb 15, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #2,565 of 2,799
Well it's a portable dac to it's own data storage. He never said it could be used as an external dac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back