iBasso DX100 Reference DAP - ES9018 inside
Feb 8, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #2,416 of 2,799
Hi Everybody,

I'm a new comer here.
Due to the delay by UPS's, I received my DX100 on Jan. 30, 2012. I like to post a review of my experience about the testing of new DX100 during this week.

Operating System-- I found several bugs just like you guys already found and discussed on the forum. The "JUMP" is the main      issue among them all. Even I download a App Kill to close all of the functions, the jump still occurred sometimes. I know that iBasso is working on it and they claimed this could hopefully be solved in 10days.

Sound Quality-- Download from LINN Records 24bit/192kHz studio master from Suzan Wong "You've got a friend"
                                                               and 24bits/96kHz studio master from Suzan Wong "You are so beautiful".
                        (1)Tested with my stereo system: (Pre Amp) Pass Lab + (Power Amp)Pass Lab 150 + (Speakers)B&W 802.
                        It was just wonderful, full of details also real high fidelity and seems that someone is singing in front of       
                        you through a microphone.
                        (2)Tested with my sounding systems in the living room: Onkyo 939 Integrated Amp + (Front Speakers)JBL-100 +            
                        (Center Speakers)B&W Center + (Rear Speakers)Klipsh Bookshelf + (Sub Woofer)B&W ASW-3000.
                        The sound field was all covered with different musical instrument and from different place. I know that
                        these 24/192 files will be full of details but never expected the contents will be coming from different
                        directions. It is a different experence from the stereo systems.
                        (3)Tested with my headphone: B&W P5.
                        Looks like that Suzan is whispering in you ears.
                        (The reason that I choose P5 is regarding its fast speed response of the Bass sound.  I have tried a lot of 
                        headphones until I can compare them with P5 in same song. If you like to hear Pop or Rock and this one
                        can do the jobs.)
                        (4) Tested in my car with Mark Levinson system:
                        No big deal, no better than my SACD. The car audio systems is not that fancy as the car maker said.

Mobility-----------One of the best thing of this DX100 is its mobility. You can carry it anywhere you go and enjoy the songs.

Feb 8, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #2,419 of 2,799
CPU, thanks for the impressions. Just to be clear, when you test the DX100 with your system 1,2,and 3, did you use mini line out into the systems? So you have Mark Levinson in your car, you must have a Lexus? It should sound real good in that system at least as far as car audio goes. Of course it can't compete with a home system. So why is it just so so? Welcome to headfi. If you get one of the first 40 units, you must live on headfi for awhile.

Feb 8, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #2,420 of 2,799
Hi Everybody,

I'm a new comer here.
Due to the delay by UPS's, I received my DX100 on Jan. 30, 2012. I like to post a review of my experience about the testing of new DX100 during this week.

Operating System-- I found several bugs just like you guys already found and discussed on the forum. The "JUMP" is the main      issue among them all. Even I download a App Kill to close all of the functions, the jump still occurred sometimes. I know that iBasso is working on it and they claimed this could hopefully be solved in 10days.

Sound Quality-- Download from LINN Records 24bit/192kHz studio master from Suzan Wong "You've got a friend"
                                                               and 24bits/96kHz studio master from Suzan Wong "You are so beautiful".
                        (1)Tested with my stereo system: (Pre Amp) Pass Lab + (Power Amp)Pass Lab 150 + (Speakers)B&W 802.
                        [COLOR=0000CD]It was just wonderful, full of details also real high fidelity and seems that someone is singing in front of[/COLOR][COLOR=0000CD]       [/COLOR]
[COLOR=0000CD]                        you through a microphone.[/COLOR]
                        (2)Tested with my sounding systems in the living room: Onkyo 939 Integrated Amp + (Front Speakers)JBL-100 +            
                        (Center Speakers)B&W Center + (Rear Speakers)Klipsh Bookshelf + (Sub Woofer)B&W ASW-3000.
                        [COLOR=0000FF]The sound field was all covered with different musical instrument and from different place. I know that[/COLOR]
[COLOR=0000FF]                        these 24/192 files will be full of details but never expected the contents will be coming from different[/COLOR]
[COLOR=0000FF]                        directions. It is a different experence from the stereo systems.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=0000FF]                        [/COLOR][COLOR=000000](3)Tested with my headphone: B&W P5.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=000000]                       [/COLOR] [COLOR=0000FF]Looks like that Suzan is whispering in you ears.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008080]                        (The reason that I choose P5 is regarding its fast speed response of the Bass sound.  I have tried a lot of [/COLOR]
[COLOR=008080]                        headphones until I can compare them with P5 in same song. If you like to hear Pop or Rock and this one[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008080]                        can do the jobs.)[/COLOR]
                        [COLOR=000000](4) Tested in my car with Mark Levinson system:[/COLOR]
[COLOR=000000]                       [/COLOR][COLOR=0000FF] No big deal, no better than my SACD. The car audio systems is not that fancy as the car maker said.[/COLOR]

Mobility-----------[COLOR=0000FF]One of the best thing of this DX100 is its mobility. You can carry it anywhere you go and enjoy the songs.[/COLOR]

....................................................................................................snip.................................................................................................................

Nicely done review. Your DX100 is in good company with the quality of your other components!

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #2,421 of 2,799

Quote:
Thanks for the impressions. Welcome to Head-Fi. Sorry about your wallet.

Sorry also about the 33 unnecessary paragraph breaks at the end of your post. You can edit that.  ;-0

Thanks, Yeah, wallet shrunk pretty fast. Ha!

I remember I have edited the review in a good shape until I pressed the "Submit" and turned that kind of garble looking. I though that the word process software of this review will just good as
Microsoft's "Words" but actually, it wasn't.
And I was trying to copy it to make a new one but it won't allowed.  Sorry about that.

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #2,423 of 2,799

Quote:
CPU, thanks for the impressions. Just to be clear, when you test the DX100 with your system 1,2,and 3, did you use mini line out into the systems? So you have Mark Levinson in your car, you must have a Lexus? It should sound real good in that system at least as far as car audio goes. Of course it can't compete with a home system. So why is it just so so? Welcome to headfi. If you get one of the first 40 units, you must live on headfi for awhile.

Yes, I used mini line out into the systems when I tested (1), (2) and (3).

Mark Levinson is in my Lexus GS450h. It should sound good but as my experience, this one is no better than my former car with Nakamichi audio systems. And you know that Nakamichi cost 
about US$1,000 but Mark Levinson could cost much more than it. I guess the reason is the fine details of the 24/192 song was somewhat covered by the noise coming from the street. Second, the Bass speaker wasn't that large (even in Lexus) to extend to a low frequency and you just lost the feeling of total sound field comparing what I have heard from other system like (1), (2) and (3). Resulting with not much details also without total sound field feeling, I felt it just so so.

I was the 27th among the first 40 units(marked inside the box) if I'm not wrong. My DX100 was ordered less than 3 minutes after iBasso informed me with e-mail. And amazingly, when I finished a mail to them in ten minutes, all DX100 have sold out.

Feb 9, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #2,425 of 2,799
Quote:
Thanks, Yeah, wallet shrunk pretty fast. Ha!

I remember I have edited the review in a good shape until I pressed the "Submit" and turned that kind of garble looking. I though that the word process software of this review will just good as
Microsoft's "Words" but actually, it wasn't.
And I was trying to copy it to make a new one but it won't allowed.  Sorry about that.

I was just having fun with you. I enjoyed your review!

Feb 10, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #2,428 of 2,799
Should I order? if 6 Head-fiers agree I will do it, waiting your ok!

Feb 10, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #2,430 of 2,799
confused.gif

Quote:
I'd wait for 250 people to weigh in before committing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back