iBasso DX100 Reference DAP - ES9018 inside
Jan 16, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #1,351 of 2,799
The first place I would go would be Fujiya Avic in Nakano - They usually have demos to try of various portable amps and sources.

I don`t know If they have any yet though of the DX100. Maybe phone them first?

Jan 16, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #1,353 of 2,799
Jan 16, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #1,355 of 2,799

Quote:
Quote:

Yes, there will be a cost.

Damn, and I was hoping so much that these were going to be given away for free to any of the Head-Fiers who've contributed to this thread, over the past month. Where did you read that there would be a cost, cooperpwc? Have you had actual confirmation that this is the case? 
ph34r.gif

Jan 16, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #1,356 of 2,799

Quote:
Damn, and I was hoping so much that these were going to be given away for free to any of the Head-Fiers who've contributed to this thread, over the past month. Where did you read that there would be a cost, cooperpwc? Have you had actual confirmation that this is the case? 
ph34r.gif

What counts as a "contribution"?

Jan 16, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #1,357 of 2,799
I dont know what the general mood among consumers in Japan is like atm, but I get the impression that the younger generation devours new tech like it was candy. That first batch is as good as sold. I said it before, but I sense another HF-2 coming. 

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Jan 16, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #1,359 of 2,799

Quote:
I dont know what the general mood among consumers in Japan is like atm, but I get the impression that the younger generation devours new tech like it was candy. That first batch is as good as sold. I said it before, but I sense another HF-2 coming. 

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

To be honest, 500 seems like a crazily small batch, unless iBasso lack confidence that it works properly or lacks confidence that it will sell well (let's hope they don't have a stratospheric price tag in mind to justify any such caution). Personally, I think it's going to sell several thousand units (globally) within the first 6 months, provided it's priced sensibly..

Jan 16, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #1,360 of 2,799

Quote:
To be honest, 500 seems like a crazily small batch, unless iBasso lack confidence that it works properly or lacks confidence that it will sell well (let's hope they don't have a stratospheric price tag in mind to justify any such caution). Personally, I think it's going to sell several thousand units (globally) within the first 6 months, provided it's priced sensibly..

DX100 is first DAP made by iBasso, chill out. Of course they don't know how market will accept their product. Just like super gamer rigs aren't even 1% among PC users the high end DAPs aren't even 1% of all DAPs users. This is not a mainstream. Audiophillea is not common around music listeners. I think iBasso team have some concerns of DX100 but it is reasonable. In high end DAP market there are already heavyweight names like hifiman, colorfly and more common mainstream cowon, iriver, sony. It is a hell of a challenge to make a DAP with high SQ/price ratio. As said before I hope that with big experience around portable DAC and Amp design iBasso are able to make a good DAP to replace "transportable" rigs like iDevice+CLAS+DB2+PB2 or whatever.

Jan 16, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #1,361 of 2,799

Quote:

DX100 is first DAP made by iBasso, chill out. Of course they don't know how market will accept their product. Just like super gamer rigs aren't even 1% among PC users the high end DAPs aren't even 1% of all DAPs users. This is not a mainstream. Audiophillea is not common around music listeners. I think iBasso team have some concerns of DX100 but it is reasonable. In high end DAP market there are already heavyweight names like hifiman, colorfly and more common mainstream cowon, iriver, sony. It is a hell of a challenge to make a DAP with high SQ/price ratio. As said before I hope that with big experience around portable DAC and Amp design iBasso are able to make a good DAP to replace "transportable" rigs like iDevice+CLAS+DB2+PB2 or whatever.

I hate to be a bandwagon jumper, but the DX100 has (at least) one thing the players you mention don't have : Android. I have no idea how good their implementation will be, but at least they are starting from a foundation that doesn't look like it was designed by a first year CS major at Shenzhen Polytechnic .....

Jan 16, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #1,362 of 2,799

Quote:

No 'chilling' necessary - I'm quite relaxed, I assure you; I'm just mulling things over, not having a fit! 
wink_face.gif

I suspect the DX100 is primarily pitched at toppling the HM-801, and if it was unable to accomplish that, I doubt they'd take it to market, so I'm actually very optimistic about its potential success.

Jan 16, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #1,363 of 2,799
It would seem to me that if Ibasso already has 500 units produced and on their way to Japan, they should have the final specification finalised. Why are they holding on to updating or releasing the final info? The only possibility is that the hardware is under production but the software is still not finalised.

Jan 17, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #1,364 of 2,799

Quote:
It would seem to me that if Ibasso already has 500 units produced and on their way to Japan, they should have the final specification finalised. Why are they holding on to updating or releasing the final info? The only possibility is that the hardware is under production but the software is still not finalised.

Great - they've stolen Cowon's business model from days of yore - ship the product and we'll worry about the firmware later ...... 
mad.gif

Jan 17, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #1,365 of 2,799

Quote:
Great - they've stolen Cowon's business model from days of yore - ship the product and we'll worry about the firmware later ...... 
mad.gif

Let's hope not! And let's hope the UI is more intuitive....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back