iBasso DX100 Reference DAP - ES9018 inside
Jan 20, 2012 at 5:22 AM Post #1,893 of 2,799
OK considering I don't have a horse in this race should I be the voice of reason to start the impressions thread?
Unless we get a proper thread up soon these early impressions will be all over the place on this thread. I was thinking along the lines of maybe having the head fiers who are getting the Dx100 PMing me when they're getting their new kit so I could maybe get an idea when to start the thread. If me or anyone else started the thread now it would be flooded with various users asking all kinds of questions and no reviews. I've always wanted to play MOD, I would make a great mini-Jude.

What do you say guys? How could you not trust a face like mine.

Jan 20, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #1,895 of 2,799

Quote:
OK considering I don't have a horse in this race should I be the voice of reason to start the impressions thread?
Unless we get a proper thread up soon these early impressions will be all over the place on this thread. I was thinking along the lines of maybe having the head fiers who are getting the Dx100 PMing me when they're getting their new kit so I could maybe get an idea when to start the thread. If me or anyone else started the thread now it would be flooded with various users asking all kinds of questions and no reviews. I've always wanted to play MOD, I would make a great mini-Jude.

What do you say guys? How could you not trust a face like mine.

Makes sense. Would be good to have a proper impressions thread, I am certainly looking forward to hearing what people have to say about them. But at $829...I don't think I'd ever splurge for one. But...curious nonetheless.

Quote:

We don't need an impressions thread right now since it will just be several weeks of waiting = Clip+ versus HM-801, Chinese Dragon apocalypse and youtube video posting.

Agreed, lets wait till those li'l boxes of overpriced wonder reach the hands of their owners and they've had time to really give them a good listen. Although...I couldnt help but chuckle at how some people responded to the Clip+ vs HM-801 graphs.

Jan 20, 2012 at 5:40 AM Post #1,896 of 2,799
Early adopters...

When buyers remorse sets in and you feel guilty about splurging all that cash on a DAP, message me and I'll buy your second hand DX100 for $400 - you can keep the red smock!

darthsmile.gif

Jan 20, 2012 at 5:51 AM Post #1,897 of 2,799
All we actually need is some measurements of the thing to show whether it actually exceeds a well-performing cheap commerical DAP such as, yes... the Clip +.

I don't see why there is so much mockery of the Clip + as a benchmark for DAPs. Besides (still HM-801 beating but) not great cross talk - it performs pretty well in every area and exceptionally in some (super low output impedance, flat frequency response etc).

It should very much be held up as a benchmark, especially as you can get one for £30.

Jan 20, 2012 at 6:33 AM Post #1,900 of 2,799

I can't believe three people have just surfaced implying the clip+ will possibly outperform the DX100, and they will come to this conclusion by downloading some freeware and inserting a 3.5mm jack into their mic in a test which takes around 5 minutes.

LOL.

Jan 20, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #1,901 of 2,799
Quote:

I can't believe three people have just surfaced implying the clip+ will possibly outperform the DX100, and they will come to this conclusion by downloading some freeware and inserting a 3.5mm jack into their mic in a test which takes around 5 minutes.

LOL.

Actually I don't think anyone is implying anything of the sort. My position is that no assumptions should be made regarding the DX100, good or bad, until it has been measured.

No one knows if its good yet, and no one knows if its bad, so I take posts rubbishing it as seriously as I take those praising it. I.e. not at all.

Incidentally, NwAvGuy has also measured the Clip+ with his more "upmarket" equipment/software and his findings confirm those done by RMAA. It performs exceptionally well in most areas.

Jan 20, 2012 at 6:49 AM Post #1,902 of 2,799
Jan 20, 2012 at 6:53 AM Post #1,904 of 2,799

Quote:

LOL.

^ Almost as unbelievable as dismissing it with a blanket statement that the DX100 MUST be better simply because the specs may tout a fancy shmancy DAC and because Ibasso calls it a Reference DAP. I don't think anyone is implying anything but it certainly isn't much of a stretch to hypothesize that based on the graphs of how the Clip + performs vs the HM801. IMO. I for one don't see any harm in remaining pragmatic about these things and not jumping to any conclusions.

Choice of DAC and spec sheet aside, I would there are many factors to take into account, not the least of which would be experience in making a DAP and the actual implementation. Again, this is all IMO and I'm pretty sure I'm entitled to one, even tho they are like a-holes and everyone has one. 'Nuff said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back