iBasso DX100 Reference DAP - ES9018 inside
Jan 20, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #1,921 of 2,799

Quote:
Doesn't this argument only apply if you only intend on owning this one set of headphones for the rest of your life?

Using the example I have above again - if you have an amp that rolls off the treble of every headphone plugged into it -

You listen to it with a set of headphones you previously found a bit bright and suddenly they sound nice.

So great - its the right amp for you then!

No - it was the wrong headphones for you. In future you might come across what would have been the perfect headphones for you, but you won't know it, because on your amp they now have too little treble.

Do you see what I am getting at?

Getting accurate equipment does not rob you of the ability to get any sound signature you want - from different headphones - but getting an amp that is coloured affects and potentially ruins every set of headphones you put into it.

unfortunately we dont live on a such perfect world, where all the headphones have same comfort for everyone and can fit for everyone taste.

Jan 20, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #1,922 of 2,799

Quote:
In my personal experience, the RMAA measurements aren't very meaningful. 

Quote:
Agreed.
If these RMAA measurements actually reflect how good a piece of equipment is, there wouldn't be a need head-fi or any other audio review website/magazine.

indeed, especially in this case, because RMAA is limited to the quality of the soundcard you are using it with and the care taken to wire up the measurement. if this thing doesnt beat the average audio card ADC quality its not a great example of the ES9018, so using RMAA in this case would result in you measuring the quality of your soundcard

RMAA is good for hobbiest use, but it definitely has its limitations and doesnt come close to an audio precision system 2 or Dscope

Jan 20, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #1,923 of 2,799

I have only two headphones: Westone UM3X and Ety ER4S. Each for different applications. And I do not think about exchanging them. They are perfect for my taste. Otherwise, the saga will never end.

I really understood what you said. I also think you should keep that equipment that fits your taste. The rest of the setup should be built around this equipment.

They are different views for the same result.

Cheers,

Peter

Quote:
Doesn't this argument only apply if you only intend on owning this one set of headphones for the rest of your life?

Using the example I have above again - if you have an amp that rolls off the treble of every headphone plugged into it -

You listen to it with a set of headphones you previously found a bit bright and suddenly they sound nice.

So great - its the right amp for you then!

No - it was the wrong headphones for you. In future you might come across what would have been the perfect headphones for you, but you won't know it, because on your amp they now have too little treble.

Do you see what I am getting at?

Getting accurate equipment does not rob you of the ability to get any sound signature you want - from different headphones - but getting an amp that is coloured affects and potentially ruins every set of headphones you put into it.

Jan 20, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #1,924 of 2,799

Quote:
LOL! love it...

OK, folks, I really need to clear something up here:     when I posted earlier, although I was actually somewhat serious about the absurdity of 7 hrs battery life (and let's face it, it may actually be less than that, out in the real world), I was also being rather 'tongue-in-cheek' with the outlandish tone of my post, to get a bit of debate going. Unfortunately, my mischievousness, which I had anticipated would be self-evident, did not translate well and it seems everyone read it as being 100% stone-cold-serious (although Pudu almost twigged it was too outlandish). OK, I'll take that on the chin; thems the risks of text-based communication 
blink.gif
     Apologies to any of you who did take it 100% seriously, though.

I'm sure the DX100 will sound lovely (really, I am). I myself have been one of the eager group of Head-Fiers ready to pull the trigger the second it was released. If you doubt this, then please check back through the pre-release posts in the first 100 or so pages of this thread, most of which were positive and expressing my belief that the DX100 stood to become a massive success.. I look forward to hearing people's impressions over the coming weeks, and part of me still yearns for one, but I can't see myself buying one if it won't even last the 8 hours for a transatlantic flight. A modular battery would've side-stepped that issue if inclusion of a higher-capacity battery really had been considered impossible by iBasso, and it is easy to see why the 801 was designed with a modular battery, for precisely this reason.

Oh well, my search for a practical high-end DAP continues. I'm gutted that the DX100 fell at the final hurdle, for me, but something will eventually come along to take the place of my trust J3. All the best to those of you who pulled the trigger on the DX100, I sincerely hope you enjoy your DAP 
beerchug.gif

Thank you sir!  Although I am not involved; I just wanted to chime in some thanks.  I think we hope upon hope that these forums wont degenerate like much of the internet's other social hubs have.

Quote:
Regarding battery life it is a question for not a long time. We don't know what were the testing methods. Maybe they played some 24/192 FLACs with screen turned on and with Hifiman HE-6 headphones with high gain and volume all the way to 100%. On the other hand maybe they took 128kbps MP3s with screen off and some 16 Ohm IEMs with low gain and 1% volume. Maybe they took the golden middle. I have emailed them this question. But if I won't receive any replies only reviews will tell us real world battery life. But 7 hours is good enough for a listening session, personally I can't listen to music more then 3-4 hours at a time. If somebody needs a full transatlantic flight play time then get a battery pack charger and you shall have it.

Actually, mp3 would probably eat more battery power than FLAC because MP3 is compressed.  Hmmm that is interesting.  I wonder if there has been a study on that.

Jan 20, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #1,926 of 2,799

Could you actually upgrade the battery yourself? Would be nuts to have a significantly more powerful battery in this thing, then again I'd think it would be a bomb lol.
Quote:
The DX100 requires 12 volts for charging. And iBasso makes it so the battery, when the case is off, is a push on connector like the iRiver but easier. So it will work to upgrade or change the battery. 

Jan 20, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #1,927 of 2,799

Quote:
How on earth did this thread have HM-801 vs Clip+ measurements? Regarding the comment of AMPS/DAC have specific jobs and there's nothing subjective about it - well, the end result they produce is always subjective to the ear and brain regardless of measurements.

couldn't agree with you more on this. His thinking on this topic is narrow and flawed.

Jan 20, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #1,928 of 2,799

Quote:

Actually, mp3 would probably eat more battery power than FLAC because MP3 is compressed.  Hmmm that is interesting.  I wonder if there has been a study on that.

FLAC is also compressed, just to a lesser degree than MP3. As far as battery power, that depends on the efficiency of the decoders used....for example, take a Sansa Clip+.....with the stock firmware, MP3 runs maybe 10.5 hours if you're lucky, FLAC about 6 hours. Throw Rockbox on there with better optimized decoders, and suddenly you get about 15 hours MP3 and about 17 hours FLAC.

Jan 20, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #1,929 of 2,799

Quote:
Yup, I"m a really mean bitch. When I don"t get enough sleep. Haven"t really been sleeping well cause I wanted to be one of first to get it. I blame estreeter he hinted that it would come out while everyone"s asleep; evil and perv but a genuis. Not to mention I have a job and I"m full time mom. Let's hope it was worth it.

Same here. I hope it will be worth its price tag... I coincidentally woke up just in time before having to get ready for work and logged on and read it was up for sale. And seeing the price discount I was like "ah hell no!" now I gotta get this thing lol.

Jan 20, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #1,930 of 2,799
there are some pictures of unboxing in page 1,2,and 3 of this thread. The charger looks pretty big. I think it is the same size as the PB2. if I have to carry this around on trips, I'll just buy a New Trent Dual Port 5000mah back up battery.

http://erji.net/read.php?tid=1180052&fpage=0&toread=&page=1

Jan 20, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #1,932 of 2,799

Quote:
What pictures. I don't see any on that site. Unless I have to register and that ain't happening :wink:

permit the site if you're using noscript on firefox or anything similiar

Jan 20, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #1,934 of 2,799

Quote:
In my personal experience, the RMAA measurements aren't very meaningful. 

Exactly. Some people just read too much into these graphs and it can be very irritating. Trust your ears not just the graph. If you enjoy how it sounds then fine. But also basing everything on specs won't get you anywhere either. You could have supposedly the best DAC and Amp section in the world but implementation will also affect the outcome. You could end up with a crappy sounding product if the other internals aren't good. So going only based on specs will lead you to disappointment.

Jan 20, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #1,935 of 2,799
The DX100 has a special program written for it to utilize 24/194, bypassing the restriction of 16/44. It can also, if you want to, upsample 16/44, though I don't like upsampling but it is your option, which is nice. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back