iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Feb 16, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #10,771 of 13,503
Quote:
was mucking around with Rockbox on the DX today, nice clean interface, super responsive, liking it a lot

really? how?! where?! I want it man~~ you got a link?!

Feb 16, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #10,774 of 13,503
iBasso did the workaround to be able to go to 24/192 while using Android. The version doesn't matter as what is important is that what Android is used, is just to use the DX as a player. So what they use the version that gets there and they modified it to their/our needs.

I just confused why in the first place iBasso has chosen Android OS for DX100 but did not take advantage of Android OS full capability.
Thus, DX100 might not able to support some of the latest apps.
Any plan for iBasso to drop Android and use customized OS in order push DX 100 to next level?

Feb 16, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #10,775 of 13,503
Quote:
I just confused why in the first place iBasso has chosen Android OS for DX100 but did not take advantage of Android OS full capability.
Thus, DX100 might not able to support some of the latest apps.
Any plan for iBasso to drop Android and use customized OS in order push DX 100 to next level?

Not that I am aware of. The player isn't about apps, it is about using the UI they have and still modify with firmware, and music. The Japanese version doesn't have the capability of using other apps because it is felt that it improves the sound and I agree. I don't have the Japanese version but I run no extra apps and close everything except the music. For apps I would get a phone like the Samsung.

Feb 17, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #10,776 of 13,503
How does that setup sound with the DX100 into the O2/He-500? I'm not quite pleased with the DX100's amp feeding the HE-500, wondering if something like this would be comparable to a full-size desktop amp.

I agree, the dx amp doesn't quite cut it with the HE-500. I find the o2 provides the power required, makes them really sing yet still retains the wonderful dx sound. Also being trans-portable is a benefit. Only wish the o2 had a 6.35mm jack :)

Feb 17, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #10,779 of 13,503
I had something new happen with my DX100 today, I'm wondering if anyone has seen this...

While walking the dog, my DX100 started to cut out during playback while listening with my JH13's.  During a song, there would be a very faint crackle or pop, and the sound would go totally dead on both the left and right.  After a second or so, it would resume playing like nothing had happened.  This happened approximately 20 times across multiple source files I know are usually fine. 

I checked and the headphone jack was clean and fully seated.  It seems headphone jack problems usually manifest first in one side or the other....this seemed different  I tried to reproduce the problem by wiggling headphone wires/connections but I couldn't make it happen.  I was wearing the DX100 in a case on my hip and it is pretty cold around here (18 F).  However the player was under my jacket so it shouldn't have gotten too cold.

My guess is that the internal amp was cutting out.  Any thoughts anyone?  I'm bummed at the prospect of sending it back to China and waiting a month to get it back.  It's so intermittant they may not even be able to troubleshoot the problem yet.    

Feb 18, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #10,780 of 13,503
You can take all the following as speculation from an amateur... :)

Well, I'd certainly wait to see if it re-occurs. Did you try the other HP output? Did you reboot or reset the DX when it was happening and did it stop after rebooting? If so, it sounds like software. If not and it happens again, I'm going to have a stab at a bad solder joint somewhere. As temps drop, joints can open and lose contact. Mind you, these things run warm so that seems like a coincidence, but could still be a bad join. If it happens on one HP output and not the other, that isolates it down quite a bit. 

Hopefully it was just Android playing up and needing a reset. 

Feb 18, 2013 at 3:35 AM Post #10,781 of 13,503
I spent three winters walking around with an ipod nano. When it got cold (-20c and below) strange things would often happen unless I had it pressed directly against my skin. And it wasn't just about the battery getting sluggish.

Feb 18, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #10,782 of 13,503
Thanks both for your reply.  I am still working to reproduce the problem but have not been able to.  At the time, I did not have an adapter to try the other headphone jack.  I also didn't reboot/reset the device as it had never stopped or provided an error message so that fix never occurred to me.  Obviously, since then it has been rebooted so we will see what happens.  I'm fairly certain the device never got cold under my jacket and that it was more the fact that I was walking pretty fast.   

Feb 18, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #10,783 of 13,503
I had something new happen with my DX100 today, I'm wondering if anyone has seen this...

While walking the dog, my DX100 started to cut out during playback while listening with my JH13's.  During a song, there would be a very faint crackle or pop, and the sound would go totally dead on both the left and right.  After a second or so, it would resume playing like nothing had happened.  This happened approximately 20 times across multiple source files I know are usually fine. 

I checked and the headphone jack was clean and fully seated.  It seems headphone jack problems usually manifest first in one side or the other....this seemed different  I tried to reproduce the problem by wiggling headphone wires/connections but I couldn't make it happen.  I was wearing the DX100 in a case on my hip and it is pretty cold around here (18 F).  However the player was under my jacket so it shouldn't have gotten too cold.

My guess is that the internal amp was cutting out.  Any thoughts anyone?  I'm bummed at the prospect of sending it back to China and waiting a month to get it back.  It's so intermittant they may not even be able to troubleshoot the problem yet.    

Sometimes it cuts out for me when I out it in my jacket pocket, seems like the accelerometer might be messing with it. Try turning the unit around on all axis to see if this happens, but more importantly if it's the same thing you experience.

Feb 18, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #10,784 of 13,503
most electronic devices have a temperature range you're supposed to use it within.  Extremely hot/cold temperatures adversely affect the dap.  I could have sworn I remember reading the temperature range from the ibasso website on the DX100 stats page.  Can't seem to find it anymore.  Weird, or maybe I'm thinking of something else.

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #10,785 of 13,503
Inside a coat would seem to be fine, to me. Maybe it was static electricity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back