iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Jan 1, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #9,796 of 13,503
In the main player screen, press the "options" button (The one to the bottom left) and select SRC. Then from "Native play", go to one of the resampling options like 24/96, then back to native play :smile:
You can use all the outputs at the same time with no issues - We actually tried it at a local meet. Always fun to see a DAP feeding two DAC's, an amp and two sets of cans at the same time :D

Lol how was the sound quality when powering 5 things?

Jan 1, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #9,797 of 13,503
Quote:

The DX100 was actually a test to see if the current setup could improve on the DAC side and yes it can. For some reason I'm a sucker for the ES9018 DAC (yes yes, the circuitry around it counts) but most of the Accuphase transports/SACD players are extremely pricey. I did consider changing amps too (or in this case adding an amp and have the E-407 a preamp) and looked at the McIntosh MC275LE. I'm not certain though with its 75W/ch had sufficient grunt for the N804.

In the end, after testing a few other speakers I think the bottom line is that the N804 or B&W's 800 series (i.e. the Diamonds) aren't just my taste (or my taste has changed after 12 years). The Franco Serblin Accordos and Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution look mighty nice though!

Woops...drifting from the topic. Apologies all. Happy to take this to PM with ya, spkrs01.

Email Sent

Jan 1, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #9,799 of 13,503
Conflicting views, any more comments? Particularly re damage to IEMs and sound degradation from connecting 2 pairs of IEMs at same time

Both the 1/4" and 1/8" headphone outputs of the DX100 are wired in parallel. There are no additional resistors or any other devices to "protect" phones plugged into the 1/8" output. Adding 2 sets of headphones will result in the DX100 seeing an impedance that is different from that of either headphone. This new impedance will always be lower than that of the lowest headphone. This may or may not result in audible differences. Here is a simple calculator that will determine the resistance of multiple parallel headphones. (note that in actual use, the impedance can vary from that specified for your phones and is not a simple resistance measurement)

Jan 1, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #9,801 of 13,503
Quote:
Yep, the chipmunk effect happens when you're going from high res (24/96) to low res (16/44.1). Try changing the resampling from native play to upsampling, then back again. That solves it, and is a lot faster than rebooting.

I've had the opposite happen. Going from a lo-res to a hi-res track causes it to play at half speed. So far it has only happened once and just changing the track again fixed it. Although a bit disconcerting at first, it's not that big of a problem. And considering the leading-edge nature of the DX100, I'm willing to let it slide.

Jan 1, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #9,802 of 13,503
Quote:
The DX100 was actually a test to see if the current setup could improve on the DAC side and yes it can. For some reason I'm a sucker for the ES9018 DAC (yes yes, the circuitry around it counts) but most of the Accuphase transports/SACD players are extremely pricey. I did consider changing amps too (or in this case adding an amp and have the E-407 a preamp) and looked at the McIntosh MC275LE. I'm not certain though with its 75W/ch had sufficient grunt for the N804.

In the end, after testing a few other speakers I think the bottom line is that the N804 or B&W's 800 series (i.e. the Diamonds) aren't just my taste (or my taste has changed after 12 years). The Franco Serblin Accordos and Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution look mighty nice though!

Woops...drifting from the topic. Apologies all. Happy to take this to PM with ya, spkrs01.

I still like well done horn speakers. I have some highly modified Klipsch speakers in storage that are heaven for me. Sadly, they have not seen the light of a listening room for a long time.

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #9,806 of 13,503
This is a question for the computer guys out there:  why is it that the 1.2.7 upgrade has improved the sound quality so drastically?  I had always assumed that sound improvements were a matter of hardware, not software.. does this mean that the next software upgrade could improve the SQ even further?

Jan 2, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #9,807 of 13,503
Quote:
This is a question for the computer guys out there:  why is it that the 1.2.7 upgrade has improved the sound quality so drastically?  I had always assumed that sound improvements were a matter of hardware, not software.. does this mean that the next software upgrade could improve the SQ even further?

they muck with the default EQ setting. Nothing wrong with that. That is why when you turn the EQ on there is about a 3db drop across the board.

1.2.3 chaned CLK freq of the dsp.they fixed in 1.2.7

Jan 2, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #9,808 of 13,503
My question is , if I use one of the digital outputs // coax or optical
Is the software / eq affected by the software or do I just get the music before DAC
And u layered ??

Jan 2, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #9,809 of 13,503
Quote:
My question is , if I use one of the digital outputs // coax or optical
Is the software / eq affected by the software or do I just get the music before DAC
And u layered ??

With the DX100 the changes are made in the digital domain (actually that is a big benefit) so you can even EQ the signal. I've done it before even with Coaxil and toslink.

Jan 3, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #9,810 of 13,503
Quote:

In the 1.2.3 firmware they were actually handling the voltage to the Sabre DAC slightly different, so the SQ suffered. Try downloading and applying that update (totally reversible), then listen for the bass to come all lose and sloppy 
smile.gif

Oh and when I say "all lose and sloppy", it's still better than most DAP's out there, but not very good by DX100 standards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back