iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Apr 29, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #5,491 of 13,503

Quote:
Jamato, how does the DX100 compare to the PB2/DB2 setup?

I haven't compared them directly but the type of sound I am getting tells me that the DX100 is it. Incredible sound, the DX100. 

Apr 29, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #5,492 of 13,503
The majority of my music collection is at 16/44.1 and I have zero hi-res files, what setting do I use for the SRC.  Currently I use native play and when I've tried the other settings, I hear no difference.  Should I be?

Apr 29, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #5,493 of 13,503

Quote:

Finally someone on head-fi blowing his cash on music instead of gear and everybody is up in arms. If someone buys a LCD3 to supplement his HD800 or gets his fourth set of customs, nobody ever questions it. There are people in this very thread (about an $829 DAP) spending more on cables than what was spent on that Linn collection and nobody lifted an eyebrow.

No wonder outsiders roll their eyes when Head-Fi.org is mentioned.

Sorenslim... its only one newbie user that is questioning the purchase

Apr 29, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #5,494 of 13,503

Quote:

Finally someone on head-fi blowing his cash on music instead of gear and everybody is up in arms. If someone buys a LCD3 to supplement his HD800 or gets his fourth set of customs, nobody ever questions it. There are people in this very thread (about an $829 DAP) spending more on cables than what was spent on that Linn collection and nobody lifted an eyebrow.

No wonder outsiders roll their eyes when Head-Fi.org is mentioned

This might be the best response that I've read on Head-Fi in awhile.  

Apr 29, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #5,496 of 13,503

Quote:
The majority of my music collection is at 16/44.1 and I have zero hi-res files, what setting do I use for the SRC.  Currently I use native play and when I've tried the other settings, I hear no difference.  Should I be?

I would use native. You can upsample but for me, I don't care for the sound and prefer native. 

Apr 29, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #5,497 of 13,503
do you guys experience the music playing is fast? it's like it's fast forwarding the song? 

Apr 29, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #5,499 of 13,503
This classical music all done by artists long time ago when they did or did not have any ORIGINAL recordings by them (Mozart, beethoven etc.)? What I am trying to say back then some 200 years ago did they actually recorded their music or was only their music left on paper and a thousand or so Cover Bands been replaying them?

Apr 29, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #5,501 of 13,503

Quote:

Think of the Chipmunks singing your favorite songs :wink:.

yeah. that's it. you experience it also? 

Apr 29, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #5,502 of 13,503

Quote:

Great write up and I'm sure I am not the only one that can relate to your story.  I also love vinyl and always thought of digital as a compromise ( big one).  I'm on the road a lot so my vinyl listening is limited by time and with the price of turntables, amps, speakers, wife's tolarence, etc. I found myself trolling this site in search of digital nirvana.  Long story short, custom IEMS and now the DX100.

I just plugged my 1964 Ears Triples into my HK receiver that I use for my vinyl/squeezbox touch to see if it could match the quality and the DX100 was much more open and delicate sounding than the receiver.  The DX100 paired with some good headphones (I've used HD650 and CIEMs) are IMO the best sound you can get in portable digital music to date(mind you I have reasons for dismissing the C4 and 801 but rather not go into them at this time), especially if you are playing HiRes files.

If you take the price of a vinyl home system and compare it to the DX100 and a nice headset the complement of adding these to your audio line up is a no brainer.

Swimmintuned,
Thanks!
I am hoping to 'recapture the magic' when my DX-100 arrives (been shipped, due 5/3).
What's your best source for hi-res files?
And you are correct, getting vinyl 'right' is not an affair for the faint of heart (or budget)...but it's sooooo nice 
L3000.gif

Apr 29, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #5,503 of 13,503

Quote:

yeah. that's it. you experience it also? 

I haven't experienced it yet on this new firmware (although it appears others have?). I'm assuming its steaming from changing the sample rate and maybe changing between high res and standard flac songs. At least those were scenarios when my player exhibited this. For me to fix this I had to restart the player. I'm hearing you can change the sample rate and revert back to your preferred setting to fix this now...

Apr 29, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #5,504 of 13,503

Quote:
Go on, open your Sony Z :D!! I'm curious what's inside the Sony too...esp the DAC/OpAmp.

Anyhow so this tells me :-

1. I'm wrong that the 2x batteries are connected in parallel. They are connected serially totalling the 8.4V. Kudos to HiFlight & the iBasso guy (who's tech is right).
  2. iBasso hasn't given me much security in the way they design their devices for Lipo charging; not just for the DX100 but for some of their other products too :-
"Hi,
Charging batteries in series isnt a difficulty to us. Our D6, P4, PB2 have 3 battery in series.

Sincerely
iBasso Audio"
  1. iBasso doesn't want anyone to know what OpAmp they're using as such their OpAmps are filed/sanded off.

This begs a few questions :-
  1. Is iBasso correct in saying the HDP-R10 needs only 4.2V to run?
  2. If true, then is the HDP-R10 different h/w altogether, only retaining the DX100 shell?
  3. Is the DX100 non-compliant with Japan's battery laws 'cos according to the Hibino HDP-R10 page (http://www.hibino-intersound.co.jp/information/2937.html), according to Google Translate it states, "Corresponding to the Electrical Appliance and Material Safety Law) will be equipped with a lithium-polymer battery capacity of 4800mAh."
  4. Does iBasso have a different production line for the HDP-R10 and it's really a completely different beast from the DX100? I guess from the Hibino page, there is no reference to the DX100 at all. Only in the photo it looks like the same as the DX100. So that means we really can't refer the HDP-R10 as the Japanese version of the DX100.

OK I can't think of anything else for now.

Isn't there a phase in HDP-R10's release (Hibino) stating the 4800mah battery is in compliance with Japanese Electrical Appliance and Material Safety Law?

4800mAh の大容量リチウムポリマーバッテリーを搭載予定 ( 電気用品安全法に対応)。

Maybe the original design (2000mah @ 8.4v) doesn't comply with Japanese safety law for such device so they have to lower it to 4.2v, which explains the 4800mah. I am sure ibasso used different amp to lower headphone output to accommodatee this change. I would be surprise if 4.2v is sufficient to drive AKG K702 while most desktop amp require 12v+ for those low impedance headphones.

Oh well, at least this give ppl who is not intend to drive those low impedance cans a choice of 2x running time.

Of course, all these are just based on my speculation. And now I have decide if I should get 8.4v dx100 today or 4.2v HDP-R10 in two months.

Apr 29, 2012 at 5:25 AM Post #5,505 of 13,503
The rate per album does seem high, but that's not the way I did the calculation...

1. It comes on a nice seagate usb hard drive, which has value for me.
  2. it comes in a variety of formats ready to listen to so I can spend more time listening and less time ripping
  3. I did consider spending that much on a really nice set of headphones, and I probably will, but I decided what I really wanted was something to listen to

Some may only get one or two hearings, but I've decided to have three "albums of the week" from the set so I can listen to them all and give them justice...

Fortunately my shirt collection was updated a couple of months ago, so people can rest assured that I won't be forced into bare back listening...

Quote:

So you get 50 albums for 895 GBP ... that works out at 17.90 GBP (29 USD) per album ... and how many of those are you actually going to listen to more than twice ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back