iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Apr 8, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #4,246 of 13,503

Quote:
Since you already have iPod as DAP, try out Fostex HP-P1 - there is also a audiophile 32bit DAC (AKM’s AK4480) inside, and should be very close to the sound of DX100, yet with a nice apple UI.

Have sold my Fostex so can't do a direct comparison with DX100.

Per my previous post, that's exactly what I'm trying next.  I have heard it and was impressed with the performance.  Thanks. 

Apr 9, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #4,247 of 13,503
My DX100 arrived. So far so good.  Weirdly, the line out is affected by the volume setting.  I look forward to the results once the electronics have settled down. I think it will end up being use for car duty mostly until then. I do recall a music program for Mac OS X designed to work with Android DAPs -- might have been Winamp actually -- that I might see if it can't import all my iTunes playlists as that would make life much easier.

Apr 9, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #4,248 of 13,503

Quote:
Per my previous post, that's exactly what I'm trying next.  I have heard it and was impressed with the performance.  Thanks. 

I have no plans on getting rid of the HP-P1 after acquiring the DX100.  Having the UI of an apple product plus the gorgeous sound of the HP-P1 is a match made in Heaven.  Since this is the DX100 thread, I just love that the DX100 pairs so well with the LCD-2 and HE400/500, something that the HP-P1 cannot do nearly as well.  With anything else in my stable, HP-P1 is more than capable.  

Apr 9, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #4,249 of 13,503

Quote:
Jax…. Thanks for reply, I’m not an Apple hater that said I am a ‘made for iPod’ disliker but that is due to the hi-fi industry in general.

There’s three versions of the WM-Z available though the Z1070 64gb model can only be had if you import from Japan….. both the Z1050 (16gb) & Z1060 (32gb) are available from Sony-USA & Sony Canada….. I have the Z1060 that I bought from Canada and was imported to the UK via a friend (to beat Euro volume-cap).

Ok now to the WM-Z and my unbiased view,

I do want a DX100 but think I may wait a few weeks/months more before finally committing as I have not got the ability or the patience to sort the bugs at this point, which is a shame as I love everything Ibasso is trying to achieve with it until such times ‘I’m happy as Larry’ with my Z1060…. a superb device indeedy.

Don't the wm-z can play atrac lossless ? I also remember the sony Z series also have integrated FM radio.
It is no doubt z1000 is a IPC alternative but still dx100 is for a different market the only player that could compare with it is hifiman, marantz, or kenwood b9.
I am waiting kenwood make another b9 or d9

Apr 9, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #4,250 of 13,503

Quote:
My DX100 arrived. So far so good.  Weirdly, the line out is affected by the volume setting.  I look forward to the results once the electronics have settled down. I think it will end up being use for car duty mostly until then. I do recall a music program for Mac OS X designed to work with Android DAPs -- might have been Winamp actually -- that I might see if it can't import all my iTunes playlists as that would make life much easier.

I was a little shocked by that too, but it is a blessing in disguise though, as you are now able to match the output to input of the specific amp very well! 

After hours of matching with the RCA input of my Triad L3, I found it sounds best at the volume range of 235-240. I have settled on 238 and medium gain. Low gain seems a touch anemic. At high gain, way too much hiss! In terms of dynamics, transparency, detailing and soundstaging, this level seems to be the best compromise for me.

Apr 9, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #4,251 of 13,503

Quote:

All those issues have actually been covered in this very thread previously 
wink.gif

Should get my DX100 tomorrow (delayed because of Zombie Jesus Day) And I can't wait to load it up with music and get going. I love my Clip+ but a month with it as my only source is a long time. I'll keep it as it's a brilliant DAP for use on the bus but I'm eager to hear what the DX100 brings to the table.

Apr 9, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #4,252 of 13,503

Quote:
All those issues have actually been covered in this very thread previously 
wink.gif

Should get my DX100 tomorrow (delayed because of Zombie Jesus Day) And I can't wait to load it up with music and get going. I love my Clip+ but a month with it as my only source is a long time. I'll keep it as it's a brilliant DAP for use on the bus but I'm eager to hear what the DX100 brings to the table.

You may not be able to bring yourself to use the Clip even on the bus once you've gotten use to the DX100. :)

Apr 9, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #4,254 of 13,503

Quote:

I still spend more time using my mobile phone for music playback outside as compared to the DX100 though.

Interesting. Is it due to the portability and convenience? That is why I still use the Studio V a lot still. Also realizing that the ibasso is a very expensive piece of kit makes me a bit more wary to take it everywhere with me :p.

Apr 9, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #4,255 of 13,503
Quote:

I have no plans on getting rid of the HP-P1 after acquiring the DX100.  Having the UI of an apple product plus the gorgeous sound of the HP-P1 is a match made in Heaven.  Since this is the DX100 thread, I just love that the DX100 pairs so well with the LCD-2 and HE400/500, something that the HP-P1 cannot do nearly as well.  With anything else in my stable, HP-P1 is more than capable.  

Good to hear on all counts. Thanks for your input. Glad to hear both have established a usefull place in your stable. I will be very interested to hear what iBasso finds with my unit, and will continue to watch for developments. Its good to hear so many are enjoying it and makes me more certain there must be something very wrong with the one I had. I'd also be interested to hear comparisons with the usual suspects like the Hp-p1, hm801, colorfly, Sony, etc.

Apr 9, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #4,256 of 13,503

Quote:
Interesting. Is it due to the portability and convenience? That is why I still use the Studio V a lot still. Also realizing that the ibasso is a very expensive piece of kit makes me a bit more wary to take it everywhere with me :p.

Yeah. Its heat means that I can't put it in a case and put in my bag while listening and its size means that I can't keep it in my pocket. I gotta hold it on my hand always and the inconvenience plus the risk of dropping it should I bang onto someone or my iem cables got entangled with other people's stuffs kinda scares me.

Apr 9, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #4,257 of 13,503
That makes sense. I tend to put it in my pocket on the go but it is a bit of a hassle due to its size. I have to make sure its the only thing in that certain pocket to make sure it doesn't get scratched up lol.

Just curious though. When using power amp do you have the direct volume control enabled? I'm finding I'm liking this feature to be disabled and even turning off EQ on Power Amp. Seems like you get more dynamics and a bigger sound stage this way, while also using less volume on the amp. Would be curious to hear others opinions on this. I'm also noticing the bass has more texture and depth this way. More attention is drawn to it. I still also like using Flat  EQ but its not quite a fun sounding if you know what I mean.

Apr 9, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #4,258 of 13,503

Quote:
Quote:

@Jax, if you read closely, I said software, and your problems were hardware, as confirmed by Ibasso and yourself, so what DAP are you planning to get?

Yes, I did read that clearly.  I added what I did in the event that someone might be interested to know that what you suggest might NOT clear up their problems.  iBasso has thus far forecasted that my problems are hardware related, they have stated that  based upon the numerous problems I was having with the device which I conveyed by email and by posts here - they are not at all unlike problems others are having, though not quite in the same combination.  They did not have the device in hand to actually physically "confirm" as much.  One would hope that they are correct and that it will be confirmed once the device is in their possession.  Regardless, for whatever reasons, mine did not respond to two factory resets.  iBasso should have the player back this week. I don't know whether or not they will provide further information on it, but I will ask them to and report back if I do hear from them.

I'm happily back to using iPod and iPhone direct for the time being - as I've said, both do a fine job and don't bother me at all in the sacrifices from the iBasso device, in spite that I find the DX100 a clear winner in direct comparison. I can listen to and profoundly enjoy my music out of an iPod Classic for hours on end.  I'd love to have the added detail and superior soundstaging the DX100 provides, but without it I get by just fine.  I'm more about enjoying music than I am about gear - I just happen to like to have the music sound its best and most natural.  Once I find the right stuff that works for me I'm a set-it and forget-it music lover - sorting out bugs myself is not an option for me, nor is living with buggy interfaces or compromises in that regard.   I'll wait to see how well iBasso irons out the current bugs and will certainly try again should I see this happen.  I don't think I'd try again unless they up the RAM in future batches, as my strong suspicion is that is a weak link in the design.  Certainly based on my results of shutting down various unused processes, which was the only means that definitively improved the problems I was having, though it did not eliminate them.  I'm going to give the Fostex a try in the interim and see how that works for me.  I heard it at RMAF/CANJAM and was impressed with the output there.  I'll keep an eye peeled on the DX100 front to see how the product develops. 

This is the truth, that I wish all Head-fiers would get!

Apr 9, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #4,259 of 13,503

Quote:

Will be interested in your finding of its shortcomings/limitations/cons  and pros.

Apr 9, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #4,260 of 13,503

Quote:
Quote:
Jax…. Thanks for reply, I’m not an Apple hater that said I am a ‘made for iPod’ disliker but that is due to the hi-fi industry in general.

There’s three versions of the WM-Z available though the Z1070 64gb model can only be had if you import from Japan….. both the Z1050 (16gb) & Z1060 (32gb) are available from Sony-USA & Sony Canada….. I have the Z1060 that I bought from Canada and was imported to the UK via a friend (to beat Euro volume-cap).

Ok now to the WM-Z and my unbiased view,

I do want a DX100 but think I may wait a few weeks/months more before finally committing as I have not got the ability or the patience to sort the bugs at this point, which is a shame as I love everything Ibasso is trying to achieve with it until such times ‘I’m happy as Larry’ with my Z1060…. a superb device indeedy.

Don't the wm-z can play atrac lossless ? I also remember the sony Z series also have integrated FM radio.
It is no doubt z1000 is a IPC alternative but still dx100 is for a different market the only player that could compare with it is hifiman, marantz, or kenwood b9.
I am waiting kenwood make another b9 or d9

Only the Japanese Z series can play atrac/atrac lossless, and the Z is way better than my Hifiman 601. Its that good!!
When amped (TTVJ slim)...lets say you should hear it, better than read about it..go and have it for a spin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back