iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Apr 7, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #4,157 of 13,503
Using my Ultrasone Ed. 9, which I haven't since receiving the updated DX and the sound is excellent. Beautifully presented in front of me and with dynamic contrasts that can startle. Good sense of air and the phones are driven easily. 

Apr 7, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #4,158 of 13,503
Sad story with happy ending!

Shortly after receiving my DX100 back from iBasso, I began experiencing a failure to connect to the Android market, now called "Google Play". Despite stopping the process, clearing cache, numerous reboots, and re-logging into Google via the browser, I could never connect to the Market. I finally used the browser to make a bookmark of the Google Play site. Although I could then browse the market, it would not allow me to see the apps loaded in my DX100. It did, however, show all the apps that I have downloaded to all of my Android devices but didn't specify which app was on which device.

I finally, as a last resort, decided to do a factory reset, figuring that the worst that could happen is that I would need to download all of my music and wallpaper .jpg's again. The factory reset worked just fine, however all of the menus now appeared in Chinese! Not a problem, as I figured I could just use my Android phone and compare symbols to find the right menu. Unfortunately, my phone symbols did not match the symbols on my DX100. I then resorted to trial and error. The second trial brought up the Language menu. After selecting English, I could once again read my menus. The only thing remaining was to change the keyboard from Chinese back to Android.

I then re-entered my Wi-Fi password and once again attempted to connect with the Market. Success!!! Immediate connection! After entering by Google log-in, I was able to access the Market. After a short time, I got the message regarding the update to Google Play. Again, all went well, so all that was remaining was to reload all of my music and wallpaper pictures. Surprise! They were all still in the internal memory, just as before the factory reset. I had to reload UnLock, MyBackup Pro, and PowerAmp which are the only 3 extra apps I have installed. Again, this all went fine and now my player is once again performing perfectly.

In fact, since the factory reset, it has been playing almost continuously and I have experienced no hiccups or lockups since the reset.

FWIW, I suggested to iBasso that they might consider making the "Exit" selection of the advanced player menu a means of exiting the player itself rather than just the menus, but they replied that the entire DX100 system was built around the player and would not permit that option. The only means of stopping it is by "Kill process", but it will soon restart by itself.

Happy ending to an initially frustrating experience. I think that somehow the Market app imbedded in the Android software somehow became corrupted. It seems as though the factory reset is able to correct for about any fault that may consistently appear in the normal operation of the player.

Apr 7, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #4,159 of 13,503
My long time friends and masters violin, cello and double-bass makers couple had a listen to the DX100 + W5000's playing an album of a virtuoso cellist playing on a cello made by the husband -he makes the violins & cellos, she makes double-bass'- and they were much impressed, amazed that such good sound could come from a portable set-up.
I must say that I very much agree with their impressions; this DX100 is really quite something.

Apr 7, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #4,160 of 13,503
I just downloaded the Charlie Brown Christmas album in high rez and don't admire like others here. On Little drummer boy, the sound is panned hard right and left with nothing in the center and much of the sound is in the head with poor spatial information or transparency. It seems the quick listen from the site sounded better. I have regular resolution blue recordings that sound more spacious and transparent, with better imaging. 

Apr 7, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #4,161 of 13,503
Compared to it on-board sound on a P55 mobo of all things. The dac is clearly better on the Dx100, although in comparison, the slow rolloff muddies the bottom range and looses some extension in comparison, in my experience.

The DF filters only affect the high frequencies. The slow rolloff is the default, resulting in a flat frequency response while the sharp rolloff will slightly reduce the higher frequencies. This setting is probably best-used for those individuals wishing to reduce the response of excessively bright headphones.

Apr 7, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #4,162 of 13,503
And I certainly hope they do perform regression testing and make sure no existing functions break... Used to be able to just turn off screen when playing music and screen is active, now it will stop the music.

Turning my screen on and off repeatedly results in no stopping of the music. Have you, by chance, added any apps that could possibly result in that behavior?

Apr 7, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #4,163 of 13,503
Anyone else frustrated at how unstable the software is on the DX100? Mine keeps crashing when I change the settings (i.e. up sampling) on the player. I think i will have to do the factory reset as well.

Apr 7, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #4,164 of 13,503

Quote:
The DF filters only affect the high frequencies. The slow rolloff is the default, resulting in a flat frequency response while the sharp rolloff will slightly reduce the higher frequencies. This setting is probably best-used for those individuals wishing to reduce the response of excessively bright headphones.

Thanks for this clarification
wink.gif

Apr 8, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #4,165 of 13,503

Quote:
Anyone else frustrated at how unstable the software is on the DX100? Mine keeps crashing when I change the settings (i.e. up sampling) on the player. I think i will have to do the factory reset as well.

I have played with the up sampling, out of curiosity but it has never made my player crash 

Apr 8, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #4,166 of 13,503
Has anybody noticed that with gapless set to "Close" going from one song to the next that there is a short fade-in of about 1 second long? It is a little bit annoying for me because I sometimes miss the first two notes or so of a song. It doesn't seem to do this if the track is already about 10 seconds in and I press the "rewind" button to start the track over.

I don't really like the 5/10 second gapless options either because I don't like fade-in

Apr 8, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #4,167 of 13,503

Then do n ot use what you do not like.

Quote:
Has anybody noticed that with gapless set to "Close" going from one song to the next that there is a short fade-in of about 1 second long? It is a little bit annoying for me because I sometimes miss the first two notes or so of a song. It doesn't seem to do this if the track is already about 10 seconds in and I press the "rewind" button to start the track over.

I don't really like the 5/10 second gapless options either because I don't like fade-in

Apr 8, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #4,169 of 13,503
Quote:
I hate when I put thumb tacks on the floor and then I roll over them because it hurts.

I really hate it when I put some rubbing alcohol and salt on them. I don't know why I do that. And then I forget and roll back again. I hate when that happens. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back