iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Feb 9, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #691 of 13,503

Quote:
I was making fun! $1000 , YEAH
confused_face_2.gif

Another way to emulsify mula from ones pocket :wink:.

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #692 of 13,503
I am a computer science major in college right now and the way that the device was made, seems to have a lot of advantages, just very focused ones. The main issue is that it cannot support power hungry headphones. The fact that the decoding of the files is written in assembly language means complete efficiency in the process, as well as complete control in terms of the programmer. Nothing extra is going on when playing a file on the device.

It's interesting but also a bit disappointing since if you spend a $1000 on a device you can't use it for most applications.

Quote:
I just read the entire review. I still think the pros (and to be honest, I'm not even sure I know what they were) don't come anywhere near making up for all the missing features.

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #693 of 13,503
Its kind of a boutique-novelty item; it Would be nice to own for its sound quality capabilities if you are willing to overlook its impracticalities and premium.

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #694 of 13,503
It's essentially an audiophile iPod Shuffle at 10 times the price

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #696 of 13,503

Quote:
and one more thing....you said you prefer the DX100 for it's SQ.  The ES9018 (DX100 DAC chip) is known for it's soundstage, detail, etc....and the Burr Brown 1704 (HM801 DAC chip) more for it's musicality and an "easy to listen to" nature.  Did you find the DX100 more "musical" and "easy to listen to" as well? 

As I said, from the first moment I started listening to HM801 I really liked it. Indeed, it is musical and a pleasure to listen to. But it is a certain type of musicality. It's warm and cosy and very dense at the same time. The DX100 is musical too but on the other hand. It has more "presence" effect. It's like actually being there and hearing all that's going on on stage. Listening to DX100 is really exciting and fun while listening to HM801 is just pleasant. I've listened to the Overture track from Tron Legacy OST. And while the HM801 could deliver a decent sound with the pleasant signature, the DX100 really got the emotional side of this track. It reproduced the orchestral part so well that I had got my breath stopped for a moment.

I think the HM801 is just in different league, in different approach on producing sound. HM801 sets the goal to sound nice while DX100 sets the goal to reproduce the record the way it meant to be by recording engineers. And I think this is the right direction to go, because the goal of sounding nice must be set for the recording engineers not for player manufacturers.

Once again - this is just my impressions with a brief experience with HM801.

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #697 of 13,503
Thank you drmind. You've set my mind at ease with that comparison. There was another headfier to did a comparison and had some Chinese Humor to boot. :)

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #698 of 13,503
The problem with that dap was that they forgot to hire or make friends with an economist/economics major. 
cool.gif

Quote:
I am a computer science major in college right now and the way that the device was made, seems to have a lot of advantages, just very focused ones. The main issue is that it cannot support power hungry headphones. The fact that the decoding of the files is written in assembly language means complete efficiency in the process, as well as complete control in terms of the programmer. Nothing extra is going on when playing a file on the device.

It's interesting but also a bit disappointing since if you spend a $1000 on a device you can't use it for most applications.

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #699 of 13,503

Quote:

Lee, Do some good deeds for your karma , before you get your Ibasso , just in case, to be on the safe side
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Thank you drmind. You've set my mind at ease with that comparison. There was another headfier to did a comparison and had some Chinese Humor to boot. :)

Feb 9, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #700 of 13,503

Quote:
Lee, Do some good deeds for your karma , before you get your Ibasso , just in case, to be on the safe side
biggrin.gif

I have been doing some nice things. Redirecting the millions of headfiers to Kaysen lol. I've had so many requesting directions on how to go about it that I made a template to just copy and paste over lol.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 9, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #701 of 13,503

Quote:
I have been doing some nice things. Redirecting the millions of headfiers to Kaysen lol. I've had so many requesting directions on how to go about it that I made a template to just copy and paste over lol.
rolleyes.gif

popcorn.gif

Feb 9, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #702 of 13,503
I'm looking forward to finally getting back my Custom TF10s soon. Not sure how it will turn out though but its my first step in getting my feet wet in the Custom IEM market.

Feb 9, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #703 of 13,503

Quote:
As I said, from the first moment I started listening to HM801 I really liked it. Indeed, it is musical and a pleasure to listen to. But it is a certain type of musicality. It's warm and cosy and very dense at the same time. The DX100 is musical too but on the other hand. It has more "presence" effect. It's like actually being there and hearing all that's going on on stage. Listening to DX100 is really exciting and fun while listening to HM801 is just pleasant. I've listened to the Overture track from Tron Legacy OST. And while the HM801 could deliver a decent sound with the pleasant signature, the DX100 really got the emotional side of this track. It reproduced the orchestral part so well that I had got my breath stopped for a moment.

I think the HM801 is just in different league, in different approach on producing sound. HM801 sets the goal to sound nice while DX100 sets the goal to reproduce the record the way it meant to be by recording engineers. And I think this is the right direction to go, because the goal of sounding nice must be set for the recording engineers not for player manufacturers.

Once again - this is just my impressions with a brief experience with HM801.

Thank you for your impressions......both are expensive....and I want to get the right one.  I'm leaning toward DX100.

I live for portable sound....go to the gym...a lot.  Presently using an old Sony WMD6C....legendary Pro Walkman.  This thing sounds great!!  Uses cassette tapes...all made by this machine off Supex 901E Super cartridge mounted to Grace 707MK II tonearm.  Vintage technology...but I have never heard better.  In it's day, the WMD6C rivaled the best Nakamichi home decks...I know as I own one....Nak 581.

I have been searching for a digital solution to replace my Walkman....they don't make many of the parts anymore, etc.  I like vinyl (analog) sound...the musicality.  Hifiman always interested me as I know this is supposed to be it's strength...but I wanted to see an answer to it...something better....

When I saw the DX100, something in me resonated with it....and I have never heard it or the 801.  I had heard that the ES9018 based units could have a bit of harsh midrange.  But from all the reviews I've seen lately, people are stunned by the exceptional SQ of ES9018 based units...and DX100 is no exception.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back