iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Feb 2, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #512 of 13,503
I have a HM-801 and HM-602.  I will buy a DX100 in the next pre-order batch for comparison purposes and write a detailed review, but only if it's priced at $699.

Feb 2, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #513 of 13,503

Quote:

You are obviously unaware of how the jh3a operates. It's does all it's DSP functions in the digital domain so there is absolutely no benefit feeding it an analogue signal ( even a really good one) as it just adds an extra conversion. 
For example my 3a sounds far superior with a simple USB input than it does feeding it the hi end line out of my Ref 7.1 ( pcm1704uk x8). 
Now feeding it a hi end coax signal is far superior again. For example the dx100 coax out. 
I will also use the dx100 as a standalone dap with my customs and full size cans. 

Just so you know, I am familiar with how the JH3a operates.  I followed that thread on the JH3a.  Jerry personally drawn the diagram of the internals of the JH3a and explained the internal setup to me.  But most of all, I listened to the JH3a with my own setup and materials, ipod-CLAS-coax into JH3a.  Believe me, I know what I am talking about.  It is true that by feeding the Coax out of the DX100 into the JH3a you will get better sound that feeding it with analogue signal.  But I doubt that it will be that much better from the DX100 alone if it is better at all.

Feb 2, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #514 of 13,503
I just got my JH13 Pros back form being overhauled. What a difference! One bass driver was shot and the screens were replaced and the tubes changed. Very expansive with the DX100 and now I am getting the bass with the JH13's I was hoping for. This will give more tools to work with while listening to the 100. 

I use the Twag cable with molded ends for the 13's and have the IEM's setup for balanced or single ended. 

Feb 2, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #515 of 13,503
I just got my JH13 Pros back form being overhauled. What a difference! One bass driver was shot and the screens were replaced and the tubes changed. Very expansive with the DX100 and now I am getting the bass with the JH13's I was hoping for. This will give more tools to work with while listening to the 100. 

I use the Twag cable with molded ends for the 13's and have the IEM's setup for balanced or single ended. 

Just to be curious what do they charge for such an overhaul ?
Not that I think mine need it despite being 2 years old

Feb 2, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #517 of 13,503

Quote:
Okay great.....I too may be a part of the next pre-order if I have enough to make an informed decision. Are you happy with the HM 801's and 602's?

They already said that price was reserved only for the first 40 batch. They may offer a discount still but don't expect one to be as large. You midaswell scratch the DX100 off your list and avoid disappointment FailedEnginer and DWbirdseye.

Well I sent my DX100 back today for RMA. The pain ;'-(

Feb 2, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #518 of 13,503

Quote:
Just so you know, I am familiar with how the JH3a operates.  I followed that thread on the JH3a.  Jerry personally drawn the diagram of the internals of the JH3a and explained the internal setup to me.  But most of all, I listened to the JH3a with my own setup and materials, ipod-CLAS-coax into JH3a.  Believe me, I know what I am talking about.  It is true that by feeding the Coax out of the DX100 into the JH3a you will get better sound that feeding it with analogue signal.  But I doubt that it will be that much better from the DX100 alone if it is better at all.

Have you tested the JH3a with different hi-end analogue sources and directly compared them to hi-end digital sources? Do you even own JH3a & listened to it outside a meet with actual customs? If you have you would know that a line out - no matter how good -(Ref 7.1, Zodiac+) can not compare to the digital usb input little own a battery powered hi-end coax signal. This is simply due to the design - an extra two conversions degrades the signal period. Going from digital to analogue, analogue to digital, then digital to analogue is not the best way to improve a signal regardless of the first DAC chips quality.
This has gone off topic enough so back to my original question:
Does anyone have impressions of the DX100 with the JH3a?

Feb 3, 2012 at 6:09 AM Post #519 of 13,503
Also, anyone tried their DX100 with UM Merlins??

Feb 3, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #520 of 13,503
I'm interested in the DX100 too, but for what i've heard it cannot be used as an external DAC as the Hifiman ones, right? And implementing this feature wont be possible even with a firmware upgrade/mod, no? Because this, for me, would be really a downside; i mean 699$ or more, and cannot even fuction as external DAC, even if it's using the ES9018... just why? It really loses some market in this way, against the Hifiman 801.

Btw, Spock76591, what was the answer of them, at your first question?

Feb 3, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #521 of 13,503
I'm interested in the DX100 too, but for what i've heard it cannot be used as an external DAC as the Hifiman ones, right? And implementing this feature wont be possible even with a firmware upgrade/mod, no? Because this, for me, would be really a downside; i mean 699$ or more, and cannot even fuction as external DAC, even if it's using the ES9018... just why? It really loses some market in this way, against the Hifiman 801.

While it is true that the DX100 cannot be used as an stand-alone DAC, it was first and foremost designed as a high-end, no compromise DAP and as such was why I decided to add it to my stable of audio components as I, personally, have little need for another external DAC.

For those who really desire a stand-alone DAC, there are perhaps better choices than the DX100.

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #522 of 13,503
It has all the right ports, it probably could be implemented with some sort of firmware or OS update or even a hack. But because of the newness of the device it's still very much unknown what type of communitee will build around the device for purposes of hacking the firmware or OS and/or iBasso's response to feature requests.
Quote:

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #523 of 13,503
Quote:
It has all the right ports, it probably could be implemented with some sort of firmware or OS update or even a hack. But because of the newness of the device it's still very much unknown what type of communitee will build around the device for purposes of hacking the firmware or OS and/or iBasso's response to feature requests.

High quality USB DACs have a chip devoted to converting the USB to I2S. It is not just a firmware issue. 

This is a very interesting DAP. If you want a USB DAC, look elsewhere.

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #524 of 13,503

Only if it has a usb receiver chip inside

Quote:

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #525 of 13,503
Would that be different from whatever chip it is that receives the data coming through the USB connection when you transfer files onto the device? 

Quote:
Only if it has a usb receiver chip inside

Users who are viewing this thread

Back