iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Feb 27, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #12,961 of 13,503
  I confirm that ordering battery from ibasso is easy process and the actual delivery time in my case was shorter than as stated by ibasso. Moreover, replacement of the battery is easy task, although you need to have torx screwdriver (which I did not have and I had to buy one).

No problem cracking the case open (without scratches) after the torx screws were removed?

Feb 28, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #12,963 of 13,503

Yes. It is quite straight forward once you have the necessary screwdriver. No scratches to worry about.

Good to hear.  I have an aluminum tipped spudger I have always intended to use for that...but I haven't had to change the battery yet. 

Mar 1, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #12,964 of 13,503
I ordered a replacement battery in late January and it took a few weeks.  Opening the case wasn't too hard after easing it off after screw removal.  However, one of the wires detached from the battery so I had to order another one.  So frustrating that I have to wait longer now.  I don't know if it was a bad solder job or maybe I was too rough with it.  It's a little tricky getting the sticky back of the battery on to the case while keeping the plug in.  Just be smarter than me. Shouldn't be too hard.

Mar 1, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #12,965 of 13,503
  I ordered a replacement battery in late January and it took a few weeks.  Opening the case wasn't too hard after easing it off after screw removal.  However, one of the wires detached from the battery so I had to order another one.  So frustrating that I have to wait longer now.  I don't know if it was a bad solder job or maybe I was too rough with it.  It's a little tricky getting the sticky back of the battery on to the case while keeping the plug in.  Just be smarter than me. Shouldn't be too hard.

Do you have an image of where the lead broke loose? I could possibly fix it for you. 

Mar 1, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #12,966 of 13,503

Do you have an image of where the lead broke loose? I could possibly fix it for you. 

OK, just shot a few photos.  The other day I peeled back the blue plastic, which wasn't easy.  Even then it wasn't clear where the black wire (the disconnected one) was attached.  The red one disappears into a mess of circuit board and metal (see pic), which made me think the black one wasn't secured properly.  However, since I can't definitively say that it was defective, I ordered another one.

Not sure it's repairable but thanks for the offer!

Mar 1, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #12,967 of 13,503

OK, just shot a few photos.  The other day I peeled back the blue plastic, which wasn't easy.  Even then it wasn't clear where the black wire (the disconnected one) was attached.  The red one disappears into a mess of circuit board and metal (see pic), which made me think the black one wasn't secured properly.  However, since I can't definitively say that it was defective, I ordered another one.

Not sure it's repairable but thanks for the offer!

Did you let iBasso know how it happened? 

If you want to send it I will give it a go. 

Mar 1, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #12,968 of 13,503
  Did you let iBasso know how it happened? 

I have to admit that I didn't contact iBasso.  I was too embarrassed about it because I have a long history of this kind of thing.  Since I couldn't be sure that it wasn't my fault (the wires were under tension as I struggled with it), I didn't think it was right to force them to send me a new one.  $20 isn't too bad anyway.  It's just the wait.  But I got an email from them yesterday saying it was shipped so should be here in a few weeks.  Again, thanks for the offer to help. 

Mar 2, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #12,970 of 13,503
I just searched for a DX90 vs DX100 comparison and shocked that I cant find one!
What are the differences in sound?
Thanks

Mar 2, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #12,971 of 13,503
I just searched for a DX90 vs DX100 comparison and shocked that I cant find one!
What are the differences in sound?
Thanks

IMO DX100 is better...but not by much.  The actual differences in sound matter more if you have headphones that "appreciate" the greater power the DX100 has to offer. 

That aside, I find the DX90 to be warmer with less soundstage and slightly more bass.  The DX100 seems to retrieve micro details better and the bass is a little tighter.  They are so close, I could live with either...and when I feel ultra critical I'm sending the coax output of either to an off board DAC (which of course they perform equally as a transport). 

Mar 3, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #12,972 of 13,503

IMO DX100 is better...but not by much.  The actual differences in sound matter more if you have headphones that "appreciate" the greater power the DX100 has to offer. 

That aside, I find the DX90 to be warmer with less soundstage and slightly more bass.  The DX100 seems to retrieve micro details better and the bass is a little tighter.  They are so close, I could live with either...and when I feel ultra critical I'm sending the coax output of either to an off board DAC (which of course they perform equally as a transport). 

Funny that you should say that.

I personally find DX90 more clinical sounding than DX100. Comparing the 2, DX100 is very slightly warmer and more organic sounding.

I have the DX100 while the wife is using DX90.

Mar 4, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #12,973 of 13,503
The DX100 sounds more spacious with a bigger soundstage compared to the DX90. It also sounds cleaner with better defined bass.
The sound of the DX100 is also affected by the firmware version you are running. Version 1.4.2 has slightly warmer tonality and more bass compared to the airier 1.2.7 version. Whatever the version of the DX100 firmware people are running, it still sounds much better than the DX90.

Mar 4, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #12,974 of 13,503
Thanks Nicolo, DX100 is still quote rare on used market, I guess people are hanging on to them

Mar 5, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #12,975 of 13,503

Funny that you should say that.

I personally find DX90 more clinical sounding than DX100. Comparing the 2, DX100 is very slightly warmer and more organic sounding.

I have the DX100 while the wife is using DX90.

As nicolo alluded...which firmware you are using on both will be a big factor in this. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back