iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
May 17, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #12,601 of 13,503
-> When i do a factory reset , i notice i can un check automatic restore ,so alot of settings arent cleaned out ?
I usually leave the automatic restore unchecked

->Also id like to ask you what the difference is , or what it is i was trying to accomplish thru this trial with the tool
I believe when you use the tool, the entire process of expanding/processing the update file is done thru PC and only uploaded to the DX100 when done. you can think of it as a "better" updating process that's free from the slower CPU of the DX100. thus more reliable.
I also notice the the tool will do the wiping (factory reset) as part of the updating. The tool can also do reformatting of the internal memory (one of the buttons)

*this is what I experience from  the DX50. mine almost bricked due it hanging in the middle of the update, so I only update thru the batch tool.  
1. i never had the dead(at least no display) dap issue before 1.42 ( its always been slow as heck to boot,esp. after any even minor
     changes). i suspect it may be a 1.42 issue ?
--> could be, we can only find out if iBasso can replicate it.

2. Am i imagining deeper/more bass on 1.27 vs 1.42 ?
--> I prefer 1.2.7 since it's more open sounding. 1.4.2 sounds like a wolfson and to be honest, why should a Sabre sound like a wolfson :wink:

3. Does a root affect sound , or dap in any way negative , like ability to play 24/192 etc .

rooting does not affect sound from what I experienced. but it helps me with the UI, my DX100's UI performance is acceptable now - losing the uber slow launcher and replace with zeam launcher.
I also installed media scan root to disable the media scanning on boot. :wink: and I'm hoping to install the xposed framework to add more functionality. 

May 17, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #12,602 of 13,503
  1. i never had the dead(at least no display) dap issue before 1.42 ( its always been slow as heck to boot,esp. after any even minor
     changes). i suspect it may be a 1.42 issue ?
--> could be, we can only find out if iBasso can replicate it.

2. Am i imagining deeper/more bass on 1.27 vs 1.42 ?
--> I prefer 1.2.7 since it's more open sounding. 1.4.2 sounds like a wolfson and to be honest, why should a Sabre sound like a wolfson :wink:

3. Does a root affect sound , or dap in any way negative , like ability to play 24/192 etc .

rooting does not affect sound from what I experienced. but it helps me with the UI, my DX100's UI performance is acceptable now - losing the uber slow launcher and replace with zeam launcher.
I also installed media scan root to disable the media scanning on boot. :wink: and I'm hoping to install the xposed framework to add more functionality. 

Wow mate thats lotsa info :) And very helpful

So u say rooting has improved boot/lag time ? By alot ? 

Or installing media scan root improved boot time ? Or zeam launcher ?

Other than this latest problem , boot time on dx100 is my only major GRIPE . Almost makes me toss it into 
a wall , cept i cant afford that .

Or does the zeam launcher not require a media scan ? Which improves boot time ?

Did i just hear a face palm ? LOL

This sounds like the ticket for me , i ve always said if another device comes along , sounds as good as this
one and doesnt make me wait an eternity to boot , dx100 is gone .......

Cheers mate

May 18, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #12,603 of 13,503
Zeam launcher basically replace the default launcher so I lose the small player and the screen of the genre/playlist. Does not matter to me, since I only use the advanced player.

I have no wallpaper and I have stripped down the dx100 to bare essentials. There's a guide for rooting in the FAQ :)

I'll will try to take a video of my DX100 to show you.

The media scan root helps but some times my music disappears but I just run the media root and the music is back :) but at least it doesn't take a lot of time to boot.

May 19, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #12,604 of 13,503
Zeam launcher basically replace the default launcher so I lose the small player and the screen of the genre/playlist. Does not matter to me, since I only use the advanced player.

I have no wallpaper and I have stripped down the dx100 to bare essentials. There's a guide for rooting in the FAQ
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll will try to take a video of my DX100 to show you.

The media scan root helps but some times my music disappears but I just run the media root and the music is back
smily_headphones1.gif
but at least it doesn't take a lot of time to boot.

Thank you  mate

i look forward to that

i ve been procrastinating on a root for a long time , im a bit of a chicken to actually do it , but the results sound
so good

Cheers

May 19, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #12,605 of 13,503
Hi, everyone
I highly suggest to support this request

http://gonemadmusicplayer.proboards.com/thread/473/dx100-native-support

the GMMP software player (http://gonemadmusicplayer.blogspot.ru/)
is probably the best one - at least everyone can customize it in the way you like.

As I understood from iBasso, they agreed to disclose the DX100 API to the developers of software players. Therefore, it is a good chance that one day GMMP player will adopted to full power of DX100 DAC chip
(as of now, any software player installed on DX100 will be far not as good as the internal DX100 player, due to Android limitations on the 'communication' of the player with the DAC chip). If the DX100 API will be integrated in GMMP, GMMP will be as good as the DX100 internal player.

Just, please, write something in this topic (http://gonemadmusicplayer.proboards.com/thread/473/dx100-native-support) to show your interest (and to show to GMMP creator that many people could be interested in this option in his nice player
regular_smile .gif
).

May 20, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #12,607 of 13,503
  Hi, everyone
I highly suggest to support this request

http://gonemadmusicplayer.proboards.com/thread/473/dx100-native-support

the GMMP software player (http://gonemadmusicplayer.blogspot.ru/)
is probably the best one - at least everyone can customize it in the way you like.

As I understood from iBasso, they agreed to disclose the DX100 API to the developers of software players. Therefore, it is a good chance that one day GMMP player will adopted to full power of DX100 DAC chip
(as of now, any software player installed on DX100 will be far not as good as the internal DX100 player, due to Android limitations on the 'communication' of the player with the DAC chip). If the DX100 API will be integrated in GMMP, GMMP will be as good as the DX100 internal player.

Just, please, write something in this topic (http://gonemadmusicplayer.proboards.com/thread/473/dx100-native-support) to show your interest (and to show to GMMP creator that many people could be interested in this option in his nice player
regular_smile .gif
).

and even better,
if you are interested, your can also register on the GMMP creator Trello board, and vote for the GMMP+integrated DX100 API
https://trello.com/c/pij5TCRG/125-dx100-api-integration
hopefully, it will help to accelerate release of this player

May 22, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #12,609 of 13,503
guys I am seeing on ebay people selling the ibasso both dx 100 and the japan version

How does dx100 compare to the japan version, which is better,

And if I buy the japan version, how can I update the software, and is the language in of the software in english

which one has more support

on another note

how do they compare with the dx90

May 24, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #12,610 of 13,503
I've been reading this and many other threads, because I want to buy a high end DAP. I'm interested in the iBasso DX100, because I want the best possible sound quality for a price that's not outrageous. The thing that's holding me back in getting one is all these UI and software issues that are mentioned. I just want the highest SQ and a straightforward user-experience without all the hassle and frustration that iTunes is giving. The iPhone 5S sounds okay, but not audiophile. The usability of iOS is great though and the player doesn't appear to have bugs unless sync has gone wrong. I want the DX100 as a replacement of my 5S, but don't want a step back in usability. Can anyone enlighten me if the usability of the DX100 is a step back compared to iOS with iTunes (including the issues that owners have)?

What I read so far:

DX100 has better sound quality than AK100 and AK120
DX100 has issues with playlists
DX100 has issues with crashes/freezes
DX100 may not recognize all songs
DX100 has a laggy interface
DX100 has the best sound quality, but not as good as AK240

I want the best SQ, but not hardware/software that don't cooperate properly. Sorry if I may sound too worried, but my job is quality assurance of products, so I'm very demanding about quality.

May 25, 2014 at 4:29 AM Post #12,611 of 13,503
I want the best SQ, but not hardware/software that don't cooperate properly. Sorry if I may sound too worried, but my job is quality assurance of products, so I'm very demanding about quality.

You say you're demanding about quality. Well, which is more important? Sound quality or UI quality? If you get frustrated with a poor UI then the DX100 is not for you.

I think that BOTH of these two statements below have to be true in order for you to be happy with the DX100:

1. Sound quality is VERY important to me. I want the best portable sound for under a thousand dollars.
2. I am very flexible with regards to the whole user experience. I can tolerate a poor, unpolished Android UI and I will not get overly frustrated by a lack of documentation, or a lack of manufacture support.

If only one of those statements is true for you... then you should pass on the DX100. Here's my experience with the issues you listed:

DX100 has better sound quality than AK100 and AK120 -- Haven't heard those other two... so have no opinion.
DX100 has issues with playlists -- Yes, playlists are limited and finicky, but once in place they work great for me.
DX100 has issues with crashes/freezes -- Not true for me. My DX100 has been VERY stable.
DX100 may not recognize all songs -- Not true for me. It recognized everything I've thrown at it.
DX100 has a laggy interface -- Not true for me. The UI is quick and responds well.
DX100 has the best sound quality, but not as good as AK240. -- No opinion

May 25, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #12,612 of 13,503
Thanks a lot walteroly. That was really helpful. I will keep the DX100 as my number one choice for now. I've been reading about the DX100 on other websites as well to get as many user experiences as possible. Sound quality is indeed the most important for me. I'm ready to sacrifice usability for the best possible sound.

May 25, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #12,614 of 13,503
Having own the list of players,

DX100 has better sound quality than AK100 and AK120   <  Better than AK100 , More power than AK120 though technically they are on par.
DX100 has issues with playlists            <  Yes. With firmware 1.4.2, this issue is reduced significantly.
DX100 has issues with crashes/freezes   <  Yes. More Freeze than crash. Also significantly reduced with firmware 1.4.2.
DX100 may not recognize all songs       <  Nope. No issues with languages in my experience.
DX100 has a laggy interface                  <  Yes. Up to firmware 1.2.7 there was some lag in navigation and selection. Improved a lot by 1.4.2. 
DX100 has the best sound quality, but not as good as AK240  < Technically, the AK240 is a clear lead ahead of DX100. For vocals, the DX100 being warmer sounding may appeal to some.

May 26, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #12,615 of 13,503
I have a question for you guys.
Can you browse folders in alphabetical order on DX100? 
I'm planning to use all 192GB of music files with DX100 but if the unit doesn't support folder browsing option, it's going to be painful to tag all of the music files one by one.

Is iBasso a Japanese brand? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back