iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Apr 16, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #12,526 of 13,503
I never have many issues with the UI as I use it pretty simply. That the sound holds up to the newest competition, goes to show how well everything is implemented. 

Apr 16, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #12,527 of 13,503
Hi Yazoo,

I plan on auditioning the AT-HA5000ANV amp at the AT shop in Paris tomorrow, and also compare with the ATH-W3000ANV on both set-ups to get a feel of the differences.

I love my set-up —vocals and acoustic instruments, especially strings, sound wonderful, but I'm curious to hear how much of an improvement a proper desktop amp gives. Also, I have never heard the W3000ANV yet. So, more info after the weekend!

I tried the Momentum too, and agree with your impressions. I hope to get my hands on a used ATH-ESW11LTD some day, as that might be the closest one can get with a more portable headphone to the W5000.

Thanks Wizard for your comments & glad you love your combo too.

Enjoy your upcoming auditioning hope you could get your love one in the near future.

I'm also curious to hear the difference that a desktop DAC/AMP could deliver, especially the HUGO. I haven't read any negatives (except the physical) about it. And my wallet just keep yelling at me all the time right now :evil:

Happy listening.
I realize I didn't write any follow-up here, so here goes: a good desktop amp does make a difference. The HA5000ANV improved on the DX100's amp by quite a bit, giving more air, more authority and energy overall.
Since I went line out to the HA5000ANV from the DX100, not using another source, two things were clear, while trying a variety of headphones (W3000ANV, W1000X, ESW11LTD, AD2000X) the Sabre ES9018 implementation in the DX100 really is very good, the wealth of information that DAC can squeeze out of digital audio even in CD quality provided it has been mastered decently is tremendous, and the W5000's really are outstanding headphones. With the HA5000ANV I experienced what proper amping can get out of them.
Without going off topic for too long, and stressing the fact that my impressions probably are inconclusive due to the discrepancies in burn-in between my well-used W5000 and the headphones for sale in the shop -that opened only three years ago, with limited auditioning of their headphones by potential clients and passers-by, it ain't Akihabara there-, only the AD2000X's could keep up with them. The W3000ANV's give an impression of deeper bass, but its mid-bass is only slightly emphasized; the W5000's actually extend deeper. Again, could be burn-in. The W1000X weren't bad, but don't reach as low as the others, nor as high, are slower in attack & decay, with a bit less imaging depth and width. Good timbre though, better than the W5000 for piano for instance; as are the AD2000X's, who also were really very pleasant with classical, feeling very neutral over the entire bandwidth, even if bass impact and overall fullness isn't a good as with the W5000's.
The ESW11LTD were a total disappointment, I expected much better; they're hardly better if any better than Momentum's to my feeling, and if I recall correctly, the Momentum's are more linear: the ESW11LTD have a bit of a bloated bass, which I guess I appropriate for urban environment, but... They are the easiest to drive on the DX100 compared to the others, obviously, but extension and imaging very much lacking, even if resolution seemed impressive enough.
N.B. I tried those different headphones both directly into the DX100, and into the HA5000ANV amp.
So, I'm still looking for a more portable solution than my W5000's to plug into the DX100 on-the-go were I won't feel I'd be compromising too much in SQ. More arguments for high-end IEM's I think...

Apr 16, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #12,528 of 13,503
If someone want to upgrade the internal amp of the dx100 i recommand the portaphile 627x/627 it comes with bigger soundstage, smooth medium and treble, deeper bass and all sound cleaner.A really good combo with grado ps1000.

The dac section is also very good if you want better portable dac you have to go for the cypher labs Solo-r /db.

Apr 16, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #12,529 of 13,503
I'm not quite ready for stacks on-the-go, I'd rather save up for high-end IEM's and a desktop amp, but I can see the point now to these high-end portable amps that bring you closer to desktop amp performance. Knowing me, I will eventually indulge into such a system :xf_eek: .

Apr 17, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #12,530 of 13,503
Thanks once again Wizard for your comprehensive & detailed impression.

Since my next move would be a desktop DAC/AMP for my home use using DX100 as a source/transport (and W5000 as a complimentary with W3000) & that's why I raised the question originally. I was thinking to get the Woo Audio WA7 (and WA7D + Tube PSU is available very soon) at the very first beginning, but once I've read through all the reviews and other related info about HUGO, I think HUGO would beat the WA7 (or even  WA7D) hands down with superior price performance. So currently I'm still at the cross junction (maybe already lean towards HUGO). And also HUGO could be transportable and on-the-go if I wish. It all decides the final audition on my own.

I also agree for on-the-go my next move would be CIEM while my "dream" CIEM is Noble K10. For DAPs, M maybe.

But I'm curious that you are disappointed w/ ESW11LTD since quite a few have high praise for its SQ. Especially you mentioned "bloated bass" compared w/ Momentum since some users don't like the Momentum because its "bloated bass". For me, I only feel my Momentum having bloated bass for some recordings with an unamped DX50 and that's why I couldn't listen to unamped DX50 for long period of time. I just feel tired & it's DX50 issue.

Glad you have the HA3000ANV as well & I suppose it would be a great combo w/ W3000. For me I just want to keep my desktop small footprint as possible since I don't have much space in my environment.

Anyway Happy Listening. Enjoy.

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #12,531 of 13,503
Optical out

I would like to know what is "Optical out" on iBasso DX100?
I bought a TOSLINK to Digital Optical cable and plug "TOSLINK" into the "Optical out" but no sound coming out.
May I know how to use the "Optical out"?

Waiting for advice. Thank you.

Apr 18, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #12,532 of 13,503
Optical out and Toslink are the same thing. What gear are you trying to connect the DX100 to?

Apr 18, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #12,533 of 13,503
  Optical out

I would like to know what is "Optical out" on iBasso DX100?
I bought a TOSLINK to Digital Optical cable and plug "TOSLINK" into the "Optical out" but no sound coming out.
May I know how to use the "Optical out"?

Waiting for advice. Thank you.

Are you sure your not plugging it into coaxial by accident? Mine works perfectly fine with the optical toslink. It is exactly like it sounds like, its an optical cable but it needs a spdif termination. I just used an spdif adapter that came with my e17, and had no issues with a regular optical cable.

Apr 18, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #12,534 of 13,503
Hi guys, thank you for your reply. I finally make my optical cable works. It's a piece of plastic causes my optical out not working.

Apr 18, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #12,536 of 13,503
Pheww!! YES!! I am so happy when it works rather than worried about what I did wrong to connect the "Optical out".

Apr 18, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #12,537 of 13,503
Optic Cable doesn't support 24/192 right?

Apr 18, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #12,539 of 13,503
But I'm curious that you are disappointed w/ ESW11LTD since quite a few have high praise for its SQ. Especially you mentioned "bloated bass" compared with the Momentum since some users don't like the Momentum because of its "bloated bass". For me, I only feel my Momentum having bloated bass for some recordings with an unamped DX50 and that's why I couldn't listen to unamped DX50 for long period of time. I just feel tired & think it's a DX50 issue.
I could be a burn-in issue, and my comparison with the Momentum is by memory, so take it with a pinch of salt. It's just that I felt that the ESW11LTD's bass wasn't tight enough and a bit exaggerated. The Momentums didn't strike me as bloated at the time when testing with my DX100, but then, I wasn't listening as critically as with the ESW11LTD TBH, since theoretically not in the same class. I thought the Momentum wasn't too bad for the price, but the ESW11LTD definitely were underwhelming for the asked price. I'm pretty sure those demo Momentums had had much more burn-in time than the ESW11LTD, considering the respective locations of the shops they were in, and estimated public affluence, FWIW.

Apr 25, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #12,540 of 13,503
Hey Guys,

Where do I need to put new wallpapers in DX100 in order to set them as a dx100 wallpaper?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back