iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Dec 27, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #12,316 of 13,503
biggrin.gif
I was finally able to save alittle to upgrade my Headphones! If everything works fine (specially through customs) in a few days I will be discovering new aspects of th DX100 through my DT990!
And in about a month, I will get the HD650. From what I've read, the sound of these 2 sort of complement each other. What do you guys think, are these a good choice?

Dec 27, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #12,317 of 13,503
I prefer the HD650 balanced as they come to life. Some prefer the HD600, feeling they are more balanced in sound and not as bass heavy as the 650. It is all fun. I used my PortaPro more than the 650 but I also modified my PP, which is easy. Many really like the HD650 so it is, as always, a matter of personal choice and preference. 

Jan 5, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #12,319 of 13,503
A happy DX100 owner chiming in!

Despite it's bulkiness and mediocre screen i have been blown away by it, since i bought it a little over a year ago. It is a brilliant one-box solution, and i use it as my main setup, both at home and on work. I have considered to get a DX50 as a complimentary DAP to use on the go, or as a good argument to fiddle around with different amps. Using an external amp with the DX100 just seems a little excessive, unless you are using it with headphones which are hard to drive. I am using mine with my HE-500 and that works just fine. I am not saying that the DX100 could benifit from a external amp, but the internal amp in the DX100 do seem to be sufficient for my use.

Have any of you considered selling your DX100 to go DX50 (or DX90 for that matter) + amp, or are you sticking with it? 
cool.gif

Jan 5, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #12,321 of 13,503
  Please anybody share a 1.4.2 firmware as at main page the links are spoiled.

It seems like there is something wrong with their website in general at the moment. I am being redirected to http://www.easycgi.com when visiting http://www.ibasso.com.

Edit: From the DX100 FAQ:
 Alternatively, since iBasso.com tends to be down from time to time, member dhobsd keeps a directory containing all release versions here.

Jan 5, 2014 at 3:44 AM Post #12,323 of 13,503

Despite it's bulkiness and mediocre screen i have been blown away by it, since i bought it a little over a year ago. It is a brilliant one-box solution, and i use it as my main setup, both at home and on work. I have considered to get a DX50 as a complimentary DAP to use on the go, or as a good argument to fiddle around with different amps. Using an external amp with the DX100 just seems a little excessive, unless you are using it with headphones which are hard to drive. I am using mine with my HE-500 and that works just fine. I am not saying that the DX100 could benifit from a external amp, but the internal amp in the DX100 do seem to be sufficient for my use.

Have any of you considered selling your DX100 to go DX50 (or DX90 for that matter) + amp, or are you sticking with it? 
cool.gif

My brother has a DX50, and as I said the DX50 does have better form and function imo despite the overly sensitive touch sceen. I still feel like the sound is lacking in comparison. I also have a hard time believing that an amp would change my decision. I know amps can make quite the difference, but from what I am hearing I still do not think it can reach the same detail. Along with that there is a touch more warmness to the DX50 that I am hearing. Both are pretty neutral though. The warmness could be the internal amp. I really do not have a good external amp to test this with though.

Also Ibasso is now using a new website. I forgot where the URL is located but its somewhere on this site.

Jan 5, 2014 at 4:03 AM Post #12,324 of 13,503

cool.gif

I have a DX100 (which I mainly use without an amp), and a DX50, which I originally got to use on the go, and that I usually also use without an amp… the DX50 IS an excellent value for the money, and I would personally rate it at about 50-70% of the DX100's SQ (with the variation depending on the FW you use, as well as subjective opinion). I have no intention, right now, to sell my DX100, but I do use the DX50 a lot more.

There have been a few members who sold the DX100 and went the DX50+amp route (Sorensiim comes to mind). 

Jan 5, 2014 at 5:01 AM Post #12,325 of 13,503
  My brother has a DX50, and as I said the DX50 does have better form and function imo despite the overly sensitive touch sceen. I still feel like the sound is lacking in comparison. I also have a hard time believing that an amp would change my decision. I know amps can make quite the difference, but from what I am hearing I still do not think it can reach the same detail. Along with that there is a touch more warmness to the DX50 that I am hearing. Both are pretty neutral though. The warmness could be the internal amp. I really do not have a good external amp to test this with though.

Also Ibasso is now using a new website. I forgot where the URL is located but its somewhere on this site.

Well, i have no doubt that the DAC in the DX100 is better than the one in the DX50. I have not heard the DX50 yet, but i will get that opportunity in the nearest future.
I am not sure that a DX50+amp rig could replace my DX100, since i love how it sounds and i really like the idea of a one-box solution. I guess i could use the DX100 on the go, but i imagine that it would be close to impossible to change songs without taking it out of my pocket. That is where the DX50 comes into play with it's physical buttons.

I have a DX100 (which I mainly use without an amp), and a DX50, which I originally got to use on the go, and that I usually also use without an amp… the DX50 IS an excellent value for the money, and I would personally rate it at about 50-70% of the DX100's SQ (with the variation depending on the FW you use, as well as subjective opinion). I have no intention, right now, to sell my DX100, but I do use the DX50 a lot more.

There have been a few members who sold the DX100 and went the DX50+amp route (Sorensiim comes to mind). 

Since having a good source is obviously very important, a significant drop in SQ on the DX50 compared to the DX100, could definitely be a deal breaker for me. At least in terms of using the DX50 as my only DAP. I still like the idea in having one for music on the go.

I have known Soren more than 10 years now, and it was I that gave him the push down head-fi lane. I did not force him to go full retard though...
biggrin.gif

Jan 5, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #12,326 of 13,503
When I listen to something else for a while and then go back to the DX100, I realize how good the DX100 is. So many use a dap and and amp together with the smaller daps and you get back to the same size as the DX100, so that doesn't always make sense although you do get a traveling companion with the DX50 and the like, that are nice and compact. There is no way I would sell my DX100. Some day soon it may go out of production as all things do and I will be glad I have mine. 

Jan 5, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #12,327 of 13,503
  When I listen to something else for a while and then go back to the DX100, I realize how good the DX100 is. So many use a dap and and amp together with the smaller daps and you get back to the same size as the DX100, so that doesn't always make sense although you do get a traveling companion with the DX50 and the like, that are nice and compact.

Yeah, it frustrates me when I see people saying such-and-such DAP sounds amazing, and they are 'conveniently' glossing over the fact that the reason it sounds good is because they've strapped it to an amp the size of a housebrick. It's like some people cannot see the fallacy of this logic, when comparing to an equivalent-sounding single-box DAP solution, and that kind of blinkered perception is absolutely endemic in the Head-fi community.

Others, like Sorensiim, are more open and rational about choosing to sometimes stack, say, a DX50, with an amp, and sometimes use it on it's own. That's rational, with no 'glossing over' and I take no issue with that.

Some day soon it may go out of production as all things do and I will be glad I have mine. 

That thought has been crossing my mind, recently, too.

Jan 5, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #12,328 of 13,503
  When I listen to something else for a while and then go back to the DX100, I realize how good the DX100 is. So many use a dap and and amp together with the smaller daps and you get back to the same size as the DX100, so that doesn't always make sense although you do get a traveling companion with the DX50 and the like, that are nice and compact. There is no way I would sell my DX100. Some day soon it may go out of production as all things do and I will be glad I have mine. 

+1 to all that, and in spades
smile.gif

Jan 5, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #12,330 of 13,503

It does a very good job as a one piece DAP...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back