iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Jan 5, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #12,331 of 13,503
Have any of you considered selling your DX100 to go DX50 (or DX90 for that matter) + amp, or are you sticking with it? :cool:  

I have a DX100 and two DX50's (using 2 different firmware versions), and I use them all with either LO or digital out to external amps.

The DX50's sound excellent and I use them portably. But I still prefer the sound quality of the DX100. Amped, I guesstimate that the DX50's achieve around 75% - 80% of the sound quality of the DX100 (also amped).

Jan 6, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #12,332 of 13,503
I have a DX100 and two DX50's (using 2 different firmware versions), and I use them all with either LO or digital out to external amps.

The DX50's sound excellent and I use them portably. But I still prefer the sound quality of the DX100. Amped, I guesstimate that the DX50's achieve around 75% - 80% of the sound quality of the DX100 (also amped).

How does the DX50+amp do against the DX100 without any amping in your opinion? Also which amps are you using?
smile.gif

Jan 6, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #12,333 of 13,503
  How does the DX50+amp do against the DX100 without any amping in your opinion? Also which amps are you using?
smile.gif

To tell you the truth, I've never used either without external amps.

For the DX50's, I'm using the ALO Rx-Mk3-B+ and Meier Corda Stepdance (15V power source) with headphones and the Tralucent T1 with 1plus2 IEM's.

I use the DX100 as a digital source sometimes to the Bifrost Uber (soon to be replaced by something better - not sure yet what; probably Auralic Vega), which then feeds a Cavalli Liquid Glass. I also use the DAC in the DX100 to feed an ALO Pan Am. The DX100 DAC sounds really quite good.

Jan 6, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #12,334 of 13,503

For the DX50's, I'm using the ALO Rx-Mk3-B+ and Meier Corda Stepdance (15V power source) with headphones and the Tralucent T1 with 1plus2 IEM's.

I use the DX100 as a digital source sometimes to the Bifrost Uber (soon to be replaced by something better - not sure yet what; probably Auralic Vega), which then feeds a Cavalli Liquid Glass. I also use the DAC in the DX100 to feed an ALO Pan Am. The DX100 DAC sounds really quite good.

While i have not heard any of the amps (or dacs for that matter) that you mention, i have read about most of them. I will actually get the opportunity to listen to the Meier Quickstep soon, which i reckon must be the successor to the Stepdance? I am looking forward to that, and to give the DX50 a spin. But to be honest, i am pretty sure that i will not be convinced to sell my DX100 and go for the DX50+amp solution, as my only setup.

Jan 6, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #12,335 of 13,503
  While i have not heard any of the amps (or dacs for that matter) that you mention, i have read about most of them. I will actually get the opportunity to listen to the Meier Quickstep soon, which i reckon must be the successor to the Stepdance? I am looking forward to that, and to give the DX50 a spin. But to be honest, i am pretty sure that i will not be convinced to sell my DX100 and go for the DX50+amp solution, as my only setup.

I agree - I think it's wise to keep your DX100. The sound quality to me is clearly better than the DX50.  Not by a large margin, but noticeable.

Jan 6, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #12,336 of 13,503

I agree - I think it's wise to keep your DX100. The sound quality to me is clearly better than the DX50.  Not by a large margin, but noticeable.

The way prices are falling, now, for the HDP-R10 and DX100, I would say that, if I still had mine, I would keep it rather than try to sell it.

If you sell a DX100 secondhand, now, you won't get much cash for it and it's worth more in terms of  being a quality DAP that will be an excellent standby for years to come.

Just my 2 cents.

Jan 6, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #12,337 of 13,503
  If you sell a DX100 secondhand, now, you won't get much cash for it and it's worth more in terms of  being a quality DAP that will be an excellent standby for years to come.

I reckon i could get like $500 for my DX100, and that might not even be enough to buy a DX50 and decent amp.

I have no intensions of selling my DX100 at the moment, but i figure that the DX50 would be a better choice when listening to music on the go. So i might eventually get myself a DX50 for mobile use, and continue to use my DX100 at home and at work. Right now i am using my Clip+ on the go, and allthough it is a great little DAP, i am confident that the DX50 would be a decent upgrade.
smile.gif

Jan 6, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #12,338 of 13,503

i am pretty sure there is a cheaper solution for your setup......
I mean, the only reason I got the dx100 is because I want a system that is actually fitting my pocket (I live in Canada, so, yah, 2/3 of the time, I have jacket and big pocket!). If you want to just use the DAC of it, I think they are other cheaper and slimmer options out there. 

In real life, you will not just listen to 24/192 classical or jazz or live all the time. The fact is, you will listen to some pop, rock, or something fun when you are on the road or doing exercise. Those music normally comes with mp3 format and will not give you any different sound between a $300 portable gear and a $1300 portable setup.

I have heard the RSA portable (forget about the model, but is it the most expensive one at the time that cost over $400 )long time ago with my TF10, and I can say it is not much better than the DX100 amp. Maybe the DAC is doing a lot of work, but I mean, as far as portable gear goes, it is not that hard to hit the performance wall. For what we have on the market right now, the desktop + full size gear is still noticeable better compare to portables.

Hence, you should save your money on the portable and just what is enough out of it, and invested it maybe more on the other things you like~~~~ 

Jan 6, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #12,339 of 13,503

i am pretty sure there is a cheaper solution for your setup......
I mean, the only reason I got the dx100 is because I want a system that is actually fitting my pocket (I live in Canada, so, yah, 2/3 of the time, I have jacket and big pocket!). If you want to just use the DAC of it, I think they are other cheaper and slimmer options out there. 

In real life, you will not just listen to 24/192 classical or jazz or live all the time. The fact is, you will listen to some pop, rock, or something fun when you are on the road or doing exercise. Those music normally comes with mp3 format and will not give you any different sound between a $300 portable gear and a $1300 portable setup.

I have heard the RSA portable (forget about the model, but is it the most expensive one at the time that cost over $400 )long time ago with my TF10, and I can say it is not much better than the DX100 amp. Maybe the DAC is doing a lot of work, but I mean, as far as portable gear goes, it is not that hard to hit the performance wall. For what we have on the market right now, the desktop + full size gear is still noticeable better compare to portables.

Hence, you should save your money on the portable and just what is enough out of it, and invested it maybe more on the other things you like~~~~ 

Thanks for the advice.

Truth is, my "desktop" setup is 90%+ of the time a quasi-portable setup on my patio, so, no, there really isn't much of a cheaper or more convenient solution that satisfies the audio quality I want to hear.

As for portable, the DX50 alone is not even in the same league as the sound amped.

Finally, in "real life" I do actually listen almost 100% to classical music (not 24/192 though)!!

Jan 6, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #12,340 of 13,503

Thanks for the advice.

Truth is, my "desktop" setup is 90%+ of the time a quasi-portable setup on my patio, so, no, there really isn't much of a cheaper or more convenient solution that satisfies the audio quality I want to hear.

As for portable, the DX50 alone is not even in the same league as the sound amped.

Finally, in "real life" I do actually listen almost 100% to classical music (not 24/192 though)!!

Well, I guess I just have a misunderstanding of your version of "portable" and "desktop" ~~~~

For me, when I am at home, I have something on the table with amp+dac+source that I never plan to move. The room is quiet and the headphone is open with large impedance~~~ The music I will be classic and jazz with very high recording qualities. When I am outside of my comfortable little room, I use my "portable" gear that is normally easy to bring out and does not have extra inter-connect cables on it. The phones will normally be CIEM or good close full size that has really good isolation. In this way, the ambient noise will not get in the way of my music. Since it is outside , and I do love music in general, I will fire up different types of music base on my mood (or to change my mood using the musics sometimes).

Hence, I think we are very different people and sorry to push my life style into yours. I guess I just gave some very bad advice here :p

P.S.
Base on your profile, I am not sure Y you called your desktop setup "quasi-portable". I think the Schiit DAC + the comming GS-X stands for a complete desktop setup for me. Or you actually have portable gears that can send out balance signal without double amplification?

Jan 6, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #12,341 of 13,503

Well, I guess I just have a misunderstanding of your version of "portable" and "desktop" ~~~~

For me, when I am at home, I have something on the table with amp+dac+source that I never plan to move. The room is quiet and the headphone is open with large impedance~~~ The music I will be classic and jazz with very high recording qualities. When I am outside of my comfortable little room, I use my "portable" gear that is normally easy to bring out and does not have extra inter-connect cables on it. The phones will normally be CIEM or good close full size that has really good isolation. In this way, the ambient noise will not get in the way of my music. Since it is outside , and I do love music in general, I will fire up different types of music base on my mood (or to change my mood using the musics sometimes).

Hence, I think we are very different people and sorry to push my life style into yours. I guess I just gave some very bad advice here :p

P.S.
Base on your profile, I am not sure Y you called your desktop setup "quasi-portable". I think the Schiit DAC + the comming GS-X stands for a complete desktop setup for me. Or you actually have portable gears that can send out balance signal without double amplification?

No worries.  It's nice that we have so many choices in how we listen to quality music.

By quasi-portable, I mean a full blown desktop setup used out on a covered patio for an afternoon at a time. So yes, the Schiit DAC, the GS-X Mk2, the LG - they all go out there for listening sessions (or will go out there - I don't have the GS-X yet). I use digital out through coax or optical with the big amps - so the DAP is just used as a transport. Sometimes, like with the Pan Am, I use the DAC in the DAP (using Line Out).  But that does not create any double amp problems.

Jan 7, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #12,342 of 13,503
  I prefer the HD650 balanced as they come to life. Some prefer the HD600, feeling they are more balanced in sound and not as bass heavy as the 650. It is all fun. I used my PortaPro more than the 650 but I also modified my PP, which is easy. Many really like the HD650 so it is, as always, a matter of personal choice and preference. 

Yes I have read many contradictory opinions about which is more balanced, and finally decided to go for the 650 as they seem to be slightly better praised, or that's what I wanted to believe after hours of reading reviews!
biggrin.gif
I have used the PortaPro's a lot, but currently my brother has established himself as their owner so I can't mod them. In standard configuration I enjoyed them a lot, I feel they have a better spacial presentation than my M50's, but instrument separation is not as good, and it doesn't go as low and detailed in general.

Tell us how you get on with your DT990's. What is your favourite music? What are you looking for in improvements? Or just open minded?

I still don't have them, they are stuck in customs since saturday. 
frown.gif

I listen to a wide variety of music, but I know I will probably have to get different HP's for different genres. I think that what I want most, for now, is better soundstage and detail. Improving from ATH-M50's, I guess I will be satisfied. I Would also like to hear what many call "liquid" mids, and I know that the DT990's are probably not the best choice for this, but the may still be an improvement over the M50's. I might be getting the Fischer FA-011 as well, so that should compensate I guess!

Jan 7, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #12,343 of 13,503
Hi guys, am having a bit of trouble with my set.

It refused to boot up yesterday morning despite being fully charged the night before.
I tried putting it to charge again and also connecting it to my laptop, but to no avail.

Is there any way of hard resetting the unit physically, since I can't get it to start up?

Am also waiting for iBasso's reply via email.
Does anyone know if they have a Head-Fi account?

Jan 7, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #12,344 of 13,503
I no longer have my DX100, but I'm pretty darned certain I recall there being a tiny reset hole/button somewhere on the side of the unit, that you'd need to gently press with a cocktail stick, or jewellers' screwdriver.

Jan 7, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #12,345 of 13,503
Yeah, here it is:

Or did you mean an even 'harder' reset than that? (not sure if there is anything 'harder' than that, short of removing the cover and disconnecting the battery!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back